Alternative payment options for online purchases?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrBurns, Jun 15, 2012.

1. MrBurns

MrBurns Well-Known Member

I have come across a good deal on a big lot of transformers but the seller is only accepting money orders. He says he cannot take paypal and doesn't have a bank account, paypal or ebay. Guys sounds legitimate through emails but I am very hesitant to pull the trigger. I am under the impression that you get zero protection from a money order. Is there any other way I can pay and cover my butt? Thoughts?

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    not really, only way you can play it safe given all those options are out , is to go and see the stuff in person and hand over the cash and leave with the goods.

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Honestly, if someone who's selling shit online tells me they don't have a bank account, that's an immediate red flag. I probably wouldn't care if its in person (I'd just pay em in cash), but I wouldn't even go near a money order for someone I don't know, especially overseas.

4. Underwear

Underwear Banned

News Credits:

..but what if the seller is from overseas?

5. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Then you just let it go for the sake of buying from someone who's ready to do business. I know it sucks because they're probably pushing a great deal, but in my opinion, it's hella fishy & not worth the risk.

6. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    I wouldn't do it overseas, but I have no problem paying with money orders in the US. It's pretty easy to verify if someone lives where they say they do. As long as it's a residence and not a P.O. box or something. They have to show ID to get the MO cashed so you'll know you have a good name on them at least. It's totally possible to pursue criminal charges for non-delivery of goods. Of course you're talking about a goodly amount of time you'd be out your money with no product. I don't use PayPal and have bought several things(couple off this board) with money orders. I've never had a problem, but it is a risk. Basically I don't do money order purchases unless it's an amount I'm willing to lose.

7. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Yeah...tell him you're ready to buy when he has an account. All of the payment options that offer coverage are really simple to sign up for.

How does he pay his internet bill?

8. MrBurns

Good question?!

I looked at the situation as how much I could risk losing. The price agreed upon was $400 and I think that is too much to risk. He didn't mention anything about cash either but agreed to meet. I don't know if he agreed to meet after I told him I live in Michigan or before though. Not having a bank account is what really scares me. Kids have bank accounts. How can an adult not have one? If I knew him or was a member of a board such as this, I would probably do it. I can't do any background checks on him.

9. MrBurns

Update

I told the individual I didn't want to risk it. So he responded by saying "how about you pay me $200 for shipping everything and when you get the items, send the other $200. Thoughts about this?

10. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Still seems fishy. It's almost like when Princes & shit have $50,000 for you, and only ask that you send them $200 in advance to cover their bank fees. Then once they have your money, they follow the #1 Rule of Acquisition & you never get it back.

Granted, this guy could always be legit & just in an unfavorable situation (it happens), but those're just my immediate thoughts on the subject, and if I happened to lose out on a great deal because of my skepticism, then so be it.

11. MrBurns

Good point. I am contemplating telling him I will just pay for the shipping, say $50. He has sent me additional pictures and the lot looks pretty solid. Decisions, Decisions

12. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I wouldn't risk it.

13. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Everything sounds far too fishy to me. But if he's willing to meet - why not do it that way? You walk away with it then and there's no risk of mail fraud.

14. MrBurns

Can't meet. I live in Michigan, he is from Texas

15. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Ah, sorry, misread that. OK, steer well clear then.

16. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I would not touch it with 50 foot pole. too much risk of getting ripped off and no recourse if it does happen.

This entire deal is sending up major red flags and sounding all sorts of alarm bells.

17. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd back away. Not worth the risk.

18. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Who says he has one. A lap top and a hot spot are all he'd need.

19. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    Maybe you could send the MO to a local TFW member in good standing and get them to cash it and then make a face to face deal with him? I'd ask in the Texas sightings thread. Maybe let the guy who is helping you out take something from the stash for their own collection?

20. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

How hard is it to open a bank account?

Like someone said, my kids have had bank accounts pretty much from when they were a few months old so their grandparents/uncles etc could deposit money for them. It takes all of 5 minutes to open an account.....

You need an account for paypal, so if he has no bank account then it makes sense that he doesn't have a paypal account.....

Tell him to get a bank account and then you'll talk :)