2D Artwork: Alternate Movie Optimus Concept - GeeWun Style

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Quintesson #1, Jun 11, 2007.

1. dorkyfresh

dorkyfresh Well-Known Member

fair enough. i can tell that you've put quite a bit of thought into it...but i maintain that there would still be some movement restrictions. i don't have time to go into it but i can also see how your explanation could work with a lil' more tweeking.

btw, please don't think i know nothing of engineering. i make 3d models of mechanical and electrical equipment for training cd's for the Navy.

2. Quintesson #1

Quintesson #1 Eater of Fuzzy Stuff

Ah neat, for use with exploded views, shots with open interior and all that to explain the workings I presume? :) 

3. Firestorm

Firestorm Red Mage in Training

Saw it on another board. The art is very good, and I love the design as an update of Prime. However, it isn't what I want out of a live action movie. Granted, it is far closer to what I originally pictured before any designs were leaked, but I really prefer what we have gotten.

Your design would be great for a new cartoon or comic, IMO.

4. BeastWars 4ever

BeastWars 4ever Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't find anything else to say...

5. Mirage914

Mirage914 Invisible

it's good.

6. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Sweet :D  Any plans to do a full body detail version? Mid-transformation ones?

7. Simian

Simian Biscuits and Gravy....???

News Credits:
    Awesome....!!!

I love it on paper...But I don't think it would fair to well on the big screen to blocky...But an animated Prime like that would be the tops...

8. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    It's a nicely drawn pic and everything, but it more or less looks exactly like every newer version of G1 based Prime that we've seen in Dreamwave, IDW, etc. A few extra panels here & there with some alternate transform options doesn't make it any more beliveable as a movie concept in my opinion. I mean, you could take virtually every rendition done by Don or Guido and call them movie versions since they have so much more detail than the way these characters were drawn in the 80's.

Don't get me wrong, I still would have preferred more G1-esque designs ala the pic you did or any of the ones done by the more established TF artists out there, but I just don't think adding more lines with a pencil means they're suddenly worthy of a "movie concept" tagline.

9. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I apologize if I ruffled a few feathers with my post. I think Quintesson#1 did a great job, and I did not mean to take away from that by unintensionally almost starting a flame war with my point of view. My apologies to everyone.

10. Quintesson #1

By that reasoning Incepticon, NO pencil drawing could ever be a movie concept. Tbh, that's an ignorable reasoning and very flawed, cause then no drawing of the movie design itself would be possible, because you use 'pencils and that's just not good enough'.

Let's look at it this way: obviously it's a drawing of a G1 based Prime, because it was actually based on G1 Prime, meaning it'll resemble the toys in a way, without trying to be too blocky in nature. In fact, there are no blocks for starters anymore, just panelling that forms the shape of boxes. From your reasoning however you could derive that you'd just not be able to see a G1 based Prime anymore, just because it's G1 based which you (or at least many others) associate with inherently flawed. Not because it's well executed while resembling, but because it resembles G1 in the first place.

That by default for a lot of people makes it impossible, just because they've never seen one that was actually made into a Movie CGI model, and as elaborately worked out as ANY Prime design would be. I'm not pretending this is a 'be all end all'-design, obviously not. But try to look beyond pencils. I'm pretty sick of people that can't put more thought or imagination into something then what they see before them.

There's a large group of people that been exposed to Movie Propaganda for such a long time, which says that a G1 based prime is impossible, that they would not accept any depiction of one, because it'd be impossible, until they'd actually see one on screen. That at least is the impression I got. I think that's very shortsighted, especially since the a large portion of those are also under the impression, that there isn't even an alternative styling anymore and never has been. That's the mentality I'm trying to 'fight', by producing some alternatives. And no, a pencil drawing by me won't reach 'movie concept' art levels, simply because I'm:

A) Not a pro illustrator
    B) Don't have the time to spend working out everything
    C) Doing this for fun, not for a living

Most people that look at this and say "Well it's just not good enough", often don't really seem to have a good idea of what WOULD be good enough as an alternative, unless it's done by and like the movie guys, most likely because they've never even seen alternatives. This doesn't go for everyone, but for the majority of people that make these comments, without backing them up or explaining what would make it work. They just say it won't work because they've been told so before. That's incredibly annoying. If you look at what Timshinn produces, which comes a lot closer to actual worked out concept art, but is still cutting and pasting of images, he too gets the same responses, by people that haven't even studied the design in detail but already declare it impossible or not good enough. :/

11. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Pretty much, yes. You translated my line of thinking a little better than I managed to. Again, I apologize to you for my last comment. It's not the 3D work I don't like. They are only as good as the concept sketches. But it's the concept sketches which I think are horrible.

12. Quintesson #1

Btw, people that say they'd like to see it in a cartoon, they can forget about that, because it's too complicated for that. You'd have to put it in 3D. Which probably would result in low budget CGI, because cartoons do not have the same budget as movies have.

Honestly, the only way to know if this concept would be good enough, would be to at least first see it rendered as a fully functional, fully textured and fully animated concept art, perhaps then transfered to CGI to see if it really works. But if you don't even give it a chance, because you're biased that it won't work (whether you came up with that yourself or because you've been told so), then you'll never be able to see it in the first place... :/

And I think the majority of people here forget that the fast majority of fans, semi-aware people and basically anyone who remembers Prime, would not even mind some cheating (if it'd even be needed! Not saying it is needed at all) with the model, because they'd get to see a very close representation of their childhood hero(es). I'm quite sure you'd be more acceptive of such things with a design that looks like this, compared to a design that looks like Movie Prime. Most fans are biased that way. :) 

13. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

News Credits:
    nice job

14. dorkyfresh

dorkyfresh Well-Known Member

pretty much. instructions on what goes where, how to repair, etc.

anywho, i saw that you got a lil' heated there. i can see where you're coming from because you made a lot of good points but at the same time you can't let comments and critiques get under your skin dude. if i was a part of your frustration then my bad...it wasn't my intention. i can see how your concept looks similar to how the movie Prime works except with a G1 "skin", but at the same time...there will ALWAYS be limitations on a box SHAPED design. for instance...try to have him cross his arms or bend down the way Prime does in that picture of him doing a weird kneeling/bending pose.

at any rate, i hope you didn't get the impression that i was totally shutting it out just because it was based on G1 (i realize that was the point of your concept). i think G1 Prime is very iconic and i've already said a few tweeks would make it doable. hope there are no hard feelings...

15. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Get me a full set of pics after Botcon, and I'd love to CG it when I have some time.

16. n10zguy

n10zguy Well-Known Member

I agree that is a kick ass design Quintesson. And I would love to see it in a CGI toon. But for the movie I just cant see it for one main reason. It appears to still turn into a Flat front cab. And unless you were to utilize mass shifting. I just can't see that reaching the 30 foot robot they were going for in the movie design.

17. Quintesson #1

No no Dorkyfresh, it's just an attitude I'm a bit bitter about since you find it in most debates on the subject. Some people have that attitude very strongly, which bothers me a bit since it means they don't have an open mind about the movie design, while claiming I should have one about it.

I can deal with critique, but I'll give an argument if I don't agree with the arguments used in the critique. It only sometimes gets under my skin if it's a very poor argument that's not well thought out. ^^" It's something that stuck with me from the philo forum over at Seibertron, often people will confuse claims with fact, or claims/circle arguments with proper arguments. That bothers me cause people then often won't listen to your own argument, because they already made up their mind. Their problem though, but if you want to debate that's rather annoying.

As a random robot design, the movie designs are pretty good or at least decent for a random show, the thing is, they're IMO not the optimal robot designs for a movie about something that has a very distinctive and longstanding image. I'm more cross with their design philosophy, than with the actual designs from an objective view. Each on their own are a reasonable design, they just don't match with eachother in style, half are complete nobodies in the TF universe and so I just don't think they've used the right mentality when selecting and creating TFs in a specific way. That's what bothers me most, thing is, I think it will bother a lot of the movie audience as well, it won't be what they expected, which can go either way. But things like making a Prime with a mouth most of the time are just bad and unneeded design choices and shows you don't really understand what you're working on and how the audience/fans would react. As far as I can tell, the fandom is still more or less split in half on like/not like, which is to me an indication that you should have made more compromises towards the source material. A split of roughly 80%-20% likers/non-likers would have been possible, IMO by compromising a bit more towards the fans. Can't please everyone afterall.

Could you explain yourself why he should be exactly 30 foot tall? It's just a number. You can solve that by NOT going for 30 foot, as if being say 25 foot is less impressive to humans that are 3 foot tall. To me this is an example of a poor requirement for a movie design: according to you, a random size number is apparently more important than creating a design that homages a character and you dismiss a whole altmode that's always been the iconic Prime altmode, for a random number. Is that really a good argument? :/

I don't see why you should mass shift, why can't you just make a slightly smaller design? If you made Megatron a G2ish tank or even a bit like the 'G2 Classics' tank, he would still be roughly the same size. Perhaps a bit bigger. So what's the problem?

IMO size should not be a driving factor, it should be a statistic after the design is made.

18. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I really do agree with you on alot of what you said. I might complain a lot about my thoughts on the movie, but it all boils down to my opinion. That's it. I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm not trying to stir up trouble. But if you want to debate me and say, 'I disagree with you' Great. Let's talk. The only reason why I come here is to share my thoughts and idea with the rest of you. I'm sorry if my opinion bends a few people out of shape, but from your end of the computer, I'm just some random guy on the internet shooting his mouth off again. That crazy Chaos, what wacky mis-adventures will he get mixed up into next?
    I know I've got a really strong point of view at times, but I'm very passionate about Transformers. I've been into the series ever since I was a kid, and it's one of the reasons why I became and artist. And it bothers me to see these movie designs, and I'm like, 'this is the crap they're showing us?' And no, I don't want 'boxy' or '80's' style. Of course, I don't. They really wouldn't translate too well on the silver screen. But I do want to see good, solid character designs. And that is what I'm not seeing.
    And as for the designs go...yea I'd say random robot deisgn describes them pretty well. Most of them are so overly complicated, and 'busy' looking that I can't focus on detail, I just see a mishmosh, and I'm telling you, that's not helping my A.D.D. at all. LOL!
    But either way, once again; great drawing!

19. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout In Existential Crisis Mode

News Credits:
    I added it to my favorites over at DA. :) 

It's a great take on an alternate, more G1 style movie Prime. With more development (to add additional details and work out any potential movement restrictions) I think it would work just fine. Of course, it's not the style they chose but since you're not trying to fit into that style but make it in one all it's own, that's not a problem. Great work.

20. Stenchy

Stenchy New Member

Great pic man, I like your style... it's around the same lines im trying to achieve with my bumblebee.