2D Artwork: "Alternate" 07 Movie Bumblebee

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by @l3x, Feb 13, 2007.

1. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So my initial intention was to use the same car ('08 Camaro) to make a Bumblebee with a completely different aesthetic. I wanted a tall and lanky, and "mech-ish" robot that did not look like a car had exploded all over it.

I came up with this:

[​IMG]

It didn't really work. I like what I came up with because it kind of has an aesthetic of its own, but it did not accomplish what I set out to do. And I think what I've set out to do is just not possible; you can't make an athletic looking, manuverable Transformer in live action with out splitting up the alt mode A LOT.

The front bumper is on the shoulders, the hood is the torso, the front wheels are the upper arms, the doors fold up around the forearms, the rear wheels are the upper thighs, the rear bumper is on the lower thighs, the tail light assemblies are the waist, and the rear of the car folds up on the lower legs. The windshield, roof, back window, and rear wheel wells are folded up on the back.

Comments and crits are welcome, and if anyone gets bored and wants to ink/color it then that's cool.

2. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Frenzy + G1 BB toy = This

I approve!

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    (o_o)

(o_<)

4. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is that good or bad?

5. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    I like the head design there!

6. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks. I didn't want to use a traditional face, but I also didn't want to use the existing movie face. So I went with a cyberjet-ish face with horns.

7. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It reminds me of the original BB toy.

8. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:

The head design is very close to the design of the helmet of Samus Aran from the Metroid video game series

[​IMG]

Interesting design though

9. Ultimate_Menasor

Ultimate_Menasor peanut butter jelly time!

i like it dude!

10. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice idea, but I have to say the movie design is better.

11. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thats a neat design. :) 

12. Quintesson #1

Quintesson #1 Eater of Fuzzy Stuff

Actually, it's very close to G2 jet headdesigns. ;p

EDIT: For some proper critiques, which I had been meaning to give you at the Allspark before, especially considering the tone of that 'discussion'. What you set out to do is not persé impossible, because you didn't achieve it after one sketch, which I must say (not as an insult) may also have something to do with lack of experience in designing. :/

Your joints for example are very fragile looking (looks a bit like some of the BW toys), and it simply can't transform. That's flaw one. The other thing, going for a very sleak ant tall robot form, may not be achievable with a very wide and flat looking car like a Camaro. (I don't know why you picked the Camaro anyway, other than that it's the movie's option). You have more choice than that. Most of your parts don't seem to belong anywhere, nor seem to be able to attach properly. If you look at the wheels, they're not attached to anything because of the rubber, yet they're in the middle of the arm and hip joint with nothing besides it to attach it to.

From an engineering p.o.v., no this thing could never work. Not even as a simplified toy. So going off this image and saying it's impossible to do what you wanted to achieve, because you failed to achieve it, is rather farfetched and I think you're dealing yourself and others short.

Again, this is not meant denegrating, but I think you should be a bit more critical towards yourself if you want to improve at designing. :/

13. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    i really like the direction you started to take it in. minus the lankyness and the elongated limbs, it's what would have come out "realistically" had they tried to make the movie designs seem G1-ish. i really like the head. and my only complaint is the long limbs. the rest is classic and awesome.

14. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the crits. I chose the Camaro because I was going for an Alternate movie aesthetic and wanted it to keep the same altmode. I do have no real design experience (or even practice), and I know this exact design couldn't work (I don't even have all the parts accounted for). I can picture in my head how the tires could work like that, but it'd be hard to describe and I probably won't get around to drawing it. I didn't mean to sound uncritical of myself either; I'm fully aware that my design is far from perfect.

15. Quintesson #1

Quintesson #1 Eater of Fuzzy Stuff

Sure, it's just that the impossible thing is a bit of a big conclusion much after just one image. :)  If I were you, I'd just try a few more concepts. What this design does show (even if it doesn't work at this time), is that there are more than one style of doing a transformer out of a car. :) 

Which is something that bothers me with some people defending the movie designs as if they're directly created by some messiah and that there can't possibly be another way to approach them. (Specifically the argument that it 'needs' to look like that because otherwise it 'wouldn't work'. Which is just bullox, as it's not like they even seen or attempted any different design approaches/philosophies...) >__>

Kudos to you for trying, just don't give up practising or believe things can't be done. Otherwise people would never sit in trains that go beyond 50 km/h. (For... "a human body couldn't take those speeds! It simply can't be done!". And then it did. Whoops.). :p  ;) 

16. chubbzilla

chubbzilla One shall stand...

i like itits great

17. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sorry Dawg, I'm just not feelin' it. :confused2