Customs: Altering a custom that you've created...bad etiquette?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by payton34, Jan 16, 2012.

1. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just throwing this out there to see what the general consensus is.

Say you've commissioned a custom, and it's great and all, but there's something that just sticks out or you see room for improvement. If you are the creator of the custom, are you...

(1) ...fine with it. After all, you've already been paid for your work. The customer owns it, and is free to do whatever they wish.

(2) ...a bit upset over it, perhaps thinking "well, apparently it wasn't good enough to begin with, why didn't you say anything in the first place", etc?

Just curious.

2. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

I think you should check with the buyer. Just speak your mind about why you think there's a better way. The buyer commisioned you so the buyer likes your style but the buyer's the one keeping the figure.

EDIT: I think I misunderstood. Basically you already delivered the custom but then the customer altered it.

So I guess the customer wasn't as happy with it as can be. It may not have been your fault. Maybe the customer wasn't clear with the instructions, maybe the customer just changed his or her mind afterwards or hadn't even thought about doing the thing at the time. I say be fine with it.

3. grimlockprime

grimlockprime Well-Known Member

i don't see any problem with that so long as they are not trying to claim they did the majority of the work on the custom.myself and another customizer on here found our works being claimed by a ebayer buyer who had purchased them and made a slight modification(adding a weapon mount peg) to each custom then claimed they did all the work.

4. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just to clear it up, as my initial post may have come off as a bit confusing (I had just woken up, lol).

Say I buy a custom and once I get it in person, I want to change the paint in a certain area, or change the hands, etc. If you were the one that made the custom, would you be fine with it since it's now in my possession and can do what I like, or would you be slightly insulted as if it wasn't "good enough" as is?

5. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

News Credits:
    i wouldnt think so, if you see something you think should be another way its up to you once it arrives at your door and as long as you ask the customizers permission and opinion

6. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

Yeah. In the end it is your figure to do with it as you please but I'd check with the customizer to be cool with him.

7. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I wouldn't have a problem with it. I don't believe there's a "perfect" toy and they can always be improved...

8. ^o^CORVUS^o^

^o^CORVUS^o^ You call on me to solve a crooked rhyme

Ebay:
    ^ That, right there. Sure, I'd like to know for the sake of curiosity, but its not that big a deal.

9. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I wouldn't mind a buyer making changes to my work. If I've been paid & the new owner wants to change things later, it's all good. I know as an artist, I've revisited my own work & changed things numerous times after I've stated "it's done". Sometimes new ideas hit that may make something better. The same issue could arise with a client seeing that something better could be done.

If it is a fix or new addition & the client wants to share the new stuff that was done, as long as the original artist gets a mention & he/she shares the new things they did, it should be fine. Basically, as long as the art is not stolen and the client only takes credit for the areas fixed or redone, I don't see a problem & I don't see it as "I could have done better". No one is perfect, but there are times you may want to change something that you've stared at for too long and now see a better way to do it.....case in point, my Galvatron custom & his ever-changing legs and heads. lol

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I would say the same about buying a toy at Wal*mart that's a Hasbro product as well. Once the person has paid for the product and the artist relinquishes ownership of the actual piece, it's the client's to do with as they wish. That can see forms like being the centerpiece of a collection or on a fireworks launchpad in the back yard.

That being said, I also think that there is some issues that follow doing such. [I'm not saying payton or any one person specifically here, but] Let's say that I purchase a custom, and decide to make some alterations. While the alterations are my work, the custom still originated from the artist. For me to pass the altered custom as my own work is completely dishonest. Also, this approaches the subject of when one person's work ends and another's begins as well. I'll leave that subject alone, as I've went on a rabbit trail enough already.

The original artist has a right as to how their work is presented and represented as well, so certain issues arise with the client wishing to show off the custom to others, either on here or in person (whatever the stage). Again, the honesty issue comes into play here. The client could very well paid for the custom, not been happy with it, and then make the alterations. They have every right to do that and say that as well. Hopefully, the original artist did their job well enough where that's not an issue, but if not it reflects on the artist as well.

Sometimes custom projects are very personal endeavors between the client and the artist, and other times commissions are simply a fill to an order. I think the relationship of the client to the artist and vice versa comes into play as well. A friendship or even a business relationship could be dependent upon such an instance.

I know those are a few tangents, but those are the potential issues I can foresee knowing the choice I made here. I hope that helps!

11. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You own it, you can do with it what you like!

12. kjyl

kjyl I'm a shark.

If I sell someone a custom, they can light it on fire once they have it.

It would annoy me if they claimed to make it but what ever.

13. blaynescott

blaynescott Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    For commissions I've done (mostly in the 6" toy realms) what a customer does with the figure once it's made is their business. I'd just want them to be happy with their toy. :)  I have an open-door policy that if they wanted something changed later on they can mail it back to me, and for a small fee I'll make the changes they want.

As long as you didn't make minor changes, then try to take credit for the whole custom, I doubt many customizers would be too upset.

What I've seen in the 6" custom figure area cause trouble is lack of 'citation' when reselling a figure. There was a case a few years back where a fellow bought a custom Deadpool from a then-prominent customizer, and later sold it on eBay, but without proper credit. The orig. customizer found this out, and drama ensued - mainly because the modifications the customer had made looked terrible, and it was very clearly his style of figure - just with some random stuff glued on.

In cases like that, citing that it was originally made by XYZ, but modified by ABC should prevent anyone from getting too upset.

14. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

I wouldn't buy the Mona Lisa and then decide I want her to have a different eye color.

Now I'm not likening a custom Transformer to a timeless masterpiece, but I think people can get my point. A work of artistic venture was commissioned and created for me, and it would absolutely insulting to that artist for me to come in and think "I can make it better."

If you can make it better, you should have made it from the start. Don't commission the piece if you have that mentality.

15. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

To me, I got my money, I don't care if you use a sword I designed as a fishing rod or something.

Also, I already modified Shinobitron's Animated Huffer. It's now got a fine mist spray coating of dust. :D  :lol 

16. Wikkid

Wikkid Completely retired customizer

You break it you bu..... err, You buy it, you break it.

Really d00d, it's all yours to do with as j00 choose.