Minor/Repaint: ALT Swindle G1 redeco

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Viper_486, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Viper_486

Viper_486 Cobraaa!

As was the case when I first recieved Hound, the original version of the mold, I mourned the loss of the ruggedness and militaristic look that Swindle once possessed.
    Swindle was a military vehicle, plain and simple, and seeing him reformatted with a 'sporterised' look nearly broke my heart.
    As I did with hound before him, I knew I had to re-militarize him, and return him to his Combaticon roots.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the rebuild followed the same basic lines as my Alt. Hound project did, which makes plenty of sense as they both were similar military vehicles in the alt. modes.
    However, I didnt want them to look too much like one another, so I took measures to retain the military feel, while still keeping Swindle what he truly represents, a rugged fighting machine.

[​IMG]

Note the drastic changes in the silhouette between the unmodded BT Swindle on the left, and my G1 resculpt on the right.
    The most sweeping changes were the removal of the roll cage, the removal of the upper part of the doors, and finally the removal of the back seats.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After tearing out the seats, and shearing the pegs that held them, I puttied those holes, along with the ones for the real roll bars, and then added the raised bed ridges that a jeep bed would have.
    These were made of styrene strips cut to size, and put in place with CA glue.
    After all of that had set, the round peg hole for the machine gun stand was drilled.
    None of these modifications interfere with the leg transformation at all, actually it makes it one step easier, eliminating the dropping of the seat backs.
    If you compare the two above pictures, you can also see where I managed to hide the split between his legs under the center raised ridge.

[​IMG]
    Another change to Swindle was one I had came up with for his predecessor, Hound.
    I dont know what the guys in Has/Tak's development dept. were smoking, but the hands on this mold blow chunks, bigtime.
    Unmodded, this mold cannot hold any weapons, save one, that crap pistol in his spare tire.
    What a joke.
    The placement of the screw in his hand could not have been in a worse place, so I remedied the situation, allowing him to hold objects (such as his scratchbuilt minigun) normally.
    As you can see the modded ALT one looks worlds better than its BT duplicate on the right.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In bot mode, he now has a streamlined look, with the ugly roll-cage sheared off, and the tops of his doors gone, and who can argue with the new firepower he is sporting? (especially since the barrels rotate)

[​IMG]
    And here he is, G1 Swindle reborn in glorious 1:24 scale, as he kneels to better support the kickback from his weapon.

You can check out more pics of him here:
    http://www.flammendschadelstudios.com/Alt_Swindle_trib.html

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Those changes are subtle, but nice enough that they do make him distinctly Swindle. Good job, man!

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    what's the gun from?

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Viper, this looks great! Good work!

A couple of questions:
    Why not go ahead and whack the doors off since you're doing a G1ish type homage?

What exactly did you do to his hands?

That gun really rocks man! Again, nice work!

5. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

NICE!!! Well done.

6. naladahc

naladahc Plastic Crack Addict

Wow Viper_486. He looks great in alt mode. I love the gun!

I'm with SuperSquad on the door removal. I think it'd totally work.

7. zailand

zailand Well-Known Member

Great work. I like it dat way. Well done!

8. Viper_486

Viper_486 Cobraaa!

Some military jeeps have half doors.
    I cut mine a little high, the IRL jeeps I have seen used doors cut where the curved line is about 4" under the window on the full sized model.
    My resculpt (and reshoot) changed it to match the jeep I was basing the doors on, I just don't have the pix uploaded, jobs keeping me buried.

The whole purpose was not to just have a yellow Hound with a diff head.
    All I need now is a ALT sized G1 Swindle head...

His hands were resculpted, removing the screw and screw housing that filled the bottom part of his palm, and the 2 halves of his hand now being fastened together with CA glue.
    Look closely at the side by side shots of the modded and unmodded hand, you'll see the difference.
    BTW, the hand still rotates at the wrist.

The minigun came out of my local Goodwill's 19 cent toy bin.
    I clean them out of weaps whenever I stop in, as I am always chopping custom weaps for figures.

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    That's awesome man, thanks! :thumb 

10. icefox

icefox Black GFC

nice tweaks. really like the hand change

11. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great job!