Minor/Repaint: Alt Springer, continuing the Commisions

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Jarrod, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    Springer was another of my earlier commisions, and started life as a (Gasp!?) Camshaft. His head is a modded Tracks, and was one of my first attempts to really resculpt a head (Ironhide was fairly simple in comparison). The idea was to reshape the face into a more cartoon accurate likeness, and while I've always been less than totally happy with it, I still think it works. The crest and mohawk came out great, however. He's also got a repainted Grimlock sword which stores underneath the car.

The main color is Tamiya's Candy Lime Green spray paint, and is a truly gorgeous metallic green! (As an aside, I can't recomment Tamiya's sprays enough! They go on super smooth, with a feel more like airbrushed paint than spray paint, which is definitley better imo. Plus they adhere to plastic amazingly, being hobby paints on all...just a shame they're $5 for such a small can.) The other colors(dark metallic green, metallic grey, and the very light, almost silver, metallic green) are all custom mixes.

I thought I took more pics of this guy...but I guess not. Oh well.

Next up, Brakedown as the Ford GT.

Attached Files:

2. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Sweet man :thumb 

Your paint looks great....loving the head mod too :thumb 

3. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    HOT !

4. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Don't know if I like it as Springer, but it's a Class A paint job. Excellent work. Really enjoying seeing all these high quality pieces from you. Keep 'em comin'!

5. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

That head mod is butter. Hawt!!

6. MrMurder

MrMurder Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    if only you could make a triple changer, that would be amazing.
    regardless though. excellent work

7. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I think the only thing I'd have done differently to further the homage would've been some kind of paint ap, whether stripes, or something else, to get some yellow on his chest. Nice custom though, no doubt :)  I do like it! I have a question for you. I got some of the very same green to use on a seeker bash. I got it because of pictures I found through google of that paint on other things. I thought it'd be a richer color... is that just the lighting? I'm a little afraid its too light a shade for a seeker now...

8. antapp

antapp Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Fantastic head mold! Loving it!

9. Jarrod

News Credits:
    That's pretty much the true shade....it may be a tad greener in person, but without it in front of me I can't say for certain. It may all depend on what color you paint it over too....its ever so slightly transparent, and I'm pretty sure the silvery grey of Camshaft has led a bit to the current shade.

10. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    I like the top of his head a lot, not sure about the chin area. I do think that mold is my favorite for springer though. Nice paint apps too. I would have added a bit more yellow in car mode, but since it was a commission all that matters is that the person you made it for likes it. Did you leave the blue on cuz of the possibility of paint rubbing off?

11. Jarrod

News Credits:
    Pretty much how I feel too. As for the blue, yep, I knew paint would chip right off that super smooth slick plastic, so I just left it. The plan is to one day replace it with bits from a junker Prowl I've got laying around.