Alt. Skids/Sunstreaker look SO cheap...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by unafraid, Jan 31, 2006.

1. unafraid

unafraid Banned

Ebay:
    What the hell happened? I saw them today and they look like knock-offs. Skids is especially ugly with his tainted windows and cheesy flames... Sunstreaker looks even worse. And what happened to Tracks? His then nice blue is now all flat...

Oh, and the new BW toys looks fugly. What's with the insignia? The transfer is all crappy and looks totally out of place. Ah man...

2. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

That's funny, I think Skids's finish looks more like car paint than any of the other Alternators, not to mention his robot mode is probably the most detailed to date.

I think the problem with Sunstreaker is the yellow plastic, Decepticharge has tiny metal flakes in his, you can't see them unless you look real close but for some reason they make a difference (though I still LOVE 'Streaker).

I noticed the "new" Tracks looked a tad duller, again, I think it's less metal flakes in the plastic (they are still there, I checked) but they seem smaller or less reflective or something.

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Skids I agree the windows look kind of silly, but everything else about him is great once he's in your hands. I have no complaints about Sunstreaker's alt mode appearance. But the paintjob on his face, however, is another story. Talk about sloppy. :redface2:  I used a black marker to touch it up where the silver ran-over and it looks a "little" better.

4. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

personally I think skids is the best alt...mine looks great and I do not think he looks cheap at all...nor sunstreaker....I think they mesh nicely with the other alts.

The only alt i think looks really cheap O is Swerve!

5. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    not like you cant scrub the fugly sparkles and flame graphics off

anyways i love skids

think he's one of the best Alts they've made yet

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I agree with the Maximal insignias on Cheetor and Rhinox. They look like cattle brands. Waspy's Pred symbol is on a smooth surface, so it's better. Glad it's not as big as on the test shots from last year.

7. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Skids, cheap? What the hell? Gaudy may be the word, if you're not into the decals (but seeing as the car itself is marketed to the "bling" crowd, not entirely without precedence), but at the core, Skids is perhaps the most solid Alt. to date, with the nicest finish to boot. His plastic isn't metal flaked. Instead, it's a really shiney deep blue plastic, that duplicates the look of a car's finish almost to a "T" (provided the car's one that uses glossy, rather than metallic, paint). It's very convincing looking, even moreso than Tracks and Hound, because there's no metallic swirls present. And perhaps even moreso than Silverstreak and Grimlock, for the mere fact that what you're looking at is an amazingly even plastic sheen, rather than paint. No random scratching on that finish, nosiree.

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Too bad you didn't like them they're two of the best alternators (imo of course) released.

9. unafraid

unafraid Banned

Ebay:
    I got Binaltech Skids (my only one from that series), it's miles ahead better. And I still prefer Sideswipe over Dead End (#2) and Sunstreaker (#3) for that particular mold. I agree that Swerve doesn't look really good too.

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i dont think they look cheap at all. their finishes make them look better that sideswipe, shockwave, jazz, windcharger; if not as good as silverstreak. having owning a few early BTs, i can appreciate the difference.

so i guess saying they look cheap (as supported by other posters) is just plain wrong, wrong, wrong.

11. unafraid

unafraid Banned

Ebay:
    Sunstreaker reminds me of Armada Hot Shot with all that cheap yellow.

12. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Mine seem fine... Don't look cheap at all... Cheesy??? Yes Skids is guilty of that... But cheap on both Sunstreaker and Skids??? Not at all...

13. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Methinks you need to actually go look at some KO's before you start slinging around half-assed comparisons. Can't speak for Sunstreaker (I do know that yellow is a hard colour to translate to plastic and look authentic), but as I said earlier, Skids is far, far, far from KO-looking. If he looks like a KO, then by definition, any mass-produced TF is made of freakin' gold.

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    saying alt looks KO in comparison to BT is just whack, man. sure alts generally dont look as good as BTs painted finish, but KO looking? susceptible to hyperbole, arent we today?

15. unafraid

unafraid Banned

Ebay:
    That's because you didn't see what I saw : through the packaging, I could see Skids' doors not lining up at all with the roof. And I'm sorry, but these flames look REALLY bad.

As for Sunstreaker, the problem is the shade of yellow, it's not rich enough. Compared to say, BT Tracks. It gives Sunstreaker a bad cheap plastic look.

I have one of each mold released so far and I have never seen that problem before. It seems that the recent repaints (Swerve, Sunstreaker, Rollbar, Ricochet) all have a weird vibe to them. I look at them and they don't look like legitimate Alternators to me.

Skids blue is fine, it's the tinted windows, the flames and the complete misalignment of the parts that makes it look like a KO.

16. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    I'd have to agree on the account of Sunstreaker, I mean, remember when BT Overdrive came out and people were all like "Man, Takara sucks, because the reds don't match up!" Well, Alt Sunstreaker is worse, I mean, talk about different shades of yellow, which is the main reason why I passed it up, because while Alt Deadend looks almost identical to it's BT counterpart, Sunstreaker in this case, does not.

17. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Alt Skids is solid with one hell of a nice finish.

Alt Sunstreaker... I had the box in my hands and I put it back on the shelf after some internal debating. There's just no getting around it, yellow plastic looks lightweight, dull, and cheap. I've never liked yellow plastic on a toy. Maybe it's the way the edges are semi-transparent. I dunno. I just looks bad. Some Alts are every bit as good as their much more expensive BT counterpart, some Alts get stomped by their BT counterpart. Sunstreaker gets stomped by his BT counterpart.

As for the beast stuff... Man, get ahold of yourself. They're just faction symbols. The new decos rock. Waspinator especially. :D 

18. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    You guys do realize the flames on Skids are largely the Scion logo, right? It looks blinktastic, which seems to clash with Skids' personality, but I see it as his one frivolous indulgence.

And it's too bad yellow can't be done better in this thin type of plastic. I bought Sunstreaker and Skids, and I like them both. You do what you want.

19. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    if you want to be anal abt it, g1 skids was really into earth culture, similar to jazz and blaster, but more reserved.

the add ons may be overt, but not entirely out of character.

20. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Geewun Skids was mostly into shelfwarming.