Alt. Silverstreak Right Side Drive. How Rare is it ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by PrimulArchangel, Oct 26, 2009.

1. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey guys n gals :) 

I picked up a Right side drive Alternator Silverstreak a while back and im being told that he is rare. Im sure there are many out there but i only know one person that has one besides me.
    Im in the process of putting prices on my collection so i can get everything insured.. Does anyone know how rare this figure is and what price to put on it for MIB ?

Thanks in advance :) 

2. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    I think any Right side driver Alternators are pretty rare. I dont see many of em for sale either

3. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    I have a Shockwave(or whatever they call him) Binaltech that is right side drive but I also have the Alternator version which is left side drive.

I'd like to know about the rarity as well, if it even is at all.

4. PrimulArchangel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah all Binaltechs are Right side drive i think because its an asian / european release. But all alternators were released with left side drive and were not suppose to get right side drives. The story i heard was some of the Silverstreak Alternators got binaltech dashboards with right side drives by mistake.
    Some of them found there way into stores before Hasbro realized the error and corrected them to left side drive. The person i spoke to said only a hundred or so were released before the error was noticed and they were removed and corrected.
    If this is that rare im hoping someone can help me out with a price value to put on my insurance catalog im working on..

5. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ah, ok. That answers my question. You might have a real rarity on your hands.

6. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    WARNING: This post will clear up a lot of misconceptions and rumors.

First of all, a right-side steering wheel is not a "European" thing. Here in continental Europe, our cars have the steering wheel on the same side as you Americans do. The only European country that has a right-side steering wheel is the United Kingdom. :) 

Second: As far as I know, the entire first wave that included Silverstreak (released in May 2004, included 2x Side Swipe and 2x Silverstreak) had the steering wheel on the right side. The next wave released in June 2004 (1x Side Swipe, 2x Silverstreak, 1x Autobot Hound) had the fixed left-side steering version. After that, Silverstreak only shipped in one more wave (2x Autobot Hound, 1x Silverstreak, 1x Dead End). So he shouldn't be all that rare.

Definitely more than "100 pieces".

Oh, and for the record: The version of Silverstreak that was released in the United Kingdom was the left-side steering version. :) 

7. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:

*cough* *cough*

[​IMG]

8. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I may just be an ignorant American (likely), but doesn't "United Kingdom" encompass England, Ireland and Scotland?

9. PrimulArchangel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    First i wasnt talking about your REAL cars having the right side drive. i was talking about the toys lol having that for the asian and euro market ..

I never heard of a right side drive Alt. Sideswipe and Hound. I have only heard of Silverstreak with this error. And only heard it was the first shipment that had them and they were noticed and corrected. Im sure there are more then 100 pieces released (was just saying what i was told) but i only know one person that has one besides me and i think i seen maybe 2 or 3 others on here mention they had one. So thats why im asking how rare it is because not many people seem to have it.

So just looking for a insurance price here folks if anyone can help me out :) 

10. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Only Northern Ireland.

11. Oafley Jones

Oafley Jones Active Member

UK= Wales, England, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Ireland (Rep. of) is not in the UK.

UK also isn't a country; therefore five countries in Europe have right hand drive.

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I can also confirm this. At one point, a Walmart that just opened in my town during these waves actually had an even number of RHD and LHD versions of Silverstreak. Yes, the RHD version is in smaller quantities, but it's not ultra-super rare or anything.

I have MiSB versions of both, and consider both to be part of having a full MiSB collection of Alternators. However, due to knowing everything surrounding the RHD and LHD versions, I've never considered the RHD version so super rare that it's value is exceedingly more than that LHD version.

Typically, one who is shopping for this: knows about the variant and knows the information that Nevermore posted about it; knows about the variant and thinks it's rarer simply because it's a "variant"; or simply has no clue and could be suckered in by simply being told it's a "rare variant".

13. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    But the European release of the toy ALSO had the "correct" left-side steering wheel!

That's because Silverstreak is the only one.

I was referring to the wave Silverstreak shipped in. All the Silverstreaks that shipped with two Side Swipes and nothing else had a right-side steering wheel. All the ones that shipped with Side Swipe and Hound, or Hound and Dead End, had a left-side steering wheel.

I'm not sure on quantities per wave, but purely based on the case breakdowns, I'd estimate we're looking at a ration of about 2:3 (or 40:60) for the right-side steering version. So two out of five Silverstreaks have the "error".

This figure only relates to the US release. The European version (both packaging variants) only came with a left-side steering wheel.

14. PrimulArchangel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ahh ok, i thougt you were saying that they also had right side drives lol, I was like UGH now i have to hunt those down lol.. The only other variant i knew of was Decepticharge Dirt Track variant.

Everything else was pretty much what i been finding online as well. I only paid 20$ shipped for him so i know i didnt over pay for him, but im in the process of cataloging everything to be insured so if anyone could help me out with a good price i should list him at that would be great :) 

15. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have both versions as well (more for the novelty than the rareness). While neither version was hard to find, as Nevermore points out, for a while it was almost easier to find the RHD version than the LHD.

So the bottom line is that the RHD version while rarer than the LHD, was produced in large enough quantities so that it doesn't make it much more valuable (if at all) than the LHD.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  16. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I don't think he's that rare. At least, I HOPE he isn't. I gave my RHD Silverstreak to a friend as a gift... XD

17. blackjkb

blackjkb Banned

ya got any pics?

18. PrimulArchangel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He looks exactly the same as the normal Silverstreak only has his stearing wheel on the right side if the car..

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    The "Dirt Deco" Decepticharge isn't a "variant", because it didn't see a mass release. It was a prototype (for further information, please read: Prototype - Transformers Wiki) sporting only the different "dirt" paint deco treatment. It was not a packaged prototype, meaning only loose samples were made. I'm not sure of the run, but I'd venture something around <100 were made (especially since Decepticharge was released from Takara with an actual run of 100, see: Decepticharge - Transformers Wiki).