Heavy/Scratch: Alt Reshell GMC Syclone - "Spool"

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Sy-Rein, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Well this has been years in the making (literally) but just recently I've had some spare time to get some progress on it and thought it would be time to share.

*edit: Almost there. A few final touchs are all thats left to do. The bot mode is done and the truck mode is pretty close. Just have to add door mirrors and attach the seats in a way that will work with the transformation. After these pics were taken, I glued in the center console and added the windsheild wipers.

This is based on my truck - a GMC Syclone - And I call him Spool (since Syclones are turbocharged, a turbo 'spools' up to build boost).

My Truck for comparison:
    [​IMG]

Alt mode - Yeah, it didnt turn out nearly as good as I was hoping as it ended up with ALOT of panel gaps. But it basicly looks like a Syclone and that'll have to be good enough for me. My next re-shell will be much better now that I've found the advice of leaving the model shell intact until it fits over the donor TF body, which I didnt find out until well after this project was started. Oh well, I'm happy with it overall.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bot mode - I think I can call this mode done. Paint could be better but I've never been great at painting. I'm happy with how his accessories turned out though. The tailgate becomes a missile launcher and the tonneau cover becomes his sheild.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A w.i.p. pic:
    [​IMG]

More pics can be seen here:
    Syclone Alternator pictures by Ozrein - Photobucket

Attached Files:

2. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Looks very good. Cant wait to see the finished product.

Nice looking truck too :thumb 

3. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great job. I've always liked that truck.

4. Algernon

Algernon Radicon Acolyte

News Credits:
    Awesome so far. You used a Skids alternator for it? Any reason you didn't pick alternators Optimus to use?

I ask because I'm in the planning stages of a reshell using Ops, was wondering if that mold isn't good for this sort of thing or not.

5. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Thanks for comments guys. This is my first major custom and I've been hoping it'll turn out half as good as my initial vision. So far I might be on track for that.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the doors mounted where I want them for bot mode. As explained below the Skids mold is bigger than the Syclone shell, so the front door mounts no longer work. But I've got a couple ideas and some hinges from a junker alt Smokescreen, I'm sure (or at least hoping) I'll get something to work.

I chose Skids due to the size. The model I'm using is actually 1/25 scale so it's slightly smaller than it would be at 1/24. As it is, Skids is even a bit too big, so there's been alot of modifications and alot of material removal for the Syclone shell to fit the Skids body. As far as Alt OP goes, it's just way too big for this model to fit. The other factor size-wise is the Syclone is a compact truck where the Ram SRT10 is a full-size (and a big one at that).

I think overall Alt OP is a fine mold if it fits the vehicle you are wanting to use to reshell. The only draw-back in my mind is the big chunky legs which limit knee articulation.

6. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

I love it. Using your truck as a model and having a transformer that is exactly like it. Amazing.

I wish I could do the same with mine but with my SUV.

7. Marto6

Marto6 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree! Looks promising. I understand why you had to use the Skids mold too. I have only done one re-shell so far,but I used a meister mold since lots of things matched up. Only suffered from a wheel base issue for the most part. I do like the bot mode layout due to the use of Skids though.

Good stuff Man!

8. ALPHAMAGNUS

ALPHAMAGNUS Sector70: Reformatting... Veteran

I love it! you can't beat an Alt re-shell.
    And you don't see too many using Alt Prime as a base either!

9. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Thanks guys. I'm so glad to be seeing progress on this project. Like I mentioned in the first post this has literally been years in the making.

I started it about 4 years ago. Got the Syclone body chopped into his component parts and started getting the bed mounted to the legs, then ran into a dilemna about how to mount the front end. That stalled me for a while, so I puttered away doing some of the little bits like the sheild and gun, among some other stuff. Then my wife and I decided to renovate our apartment which put the project on indefinate hold. A few other things happened along the way and since this was packed up, I never had a chance to get back into it until recently.

The company I work for hasnt had any work for me over the past two weeks, so I figured I'd use this time and dug out all the parts and pieces and started working on it again. And it's been worth it, I (obviously) got past my dilemna on how to mount the front end, and have been steadily getting parts and pieces mounted. I'm almost there, should have some finished assembly pics soon since I just figured out this morning how I'll be able to mount the doors. Then I'll be able to paint and then mount the wheels (I want to paint inside the wheel wells, so easier without the wheels in the way). Hmm... right, now I have to find my soldering iron to mount those wheels. Now where did that go.?. It's probably still packed somewhere.

10. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    That looks pretty cool Sy-Rein.

11. Algernon

Algernon Radicon Acolyte

News Credits:
    Oh, I see. Thanks. :) 

12. MikeTSI

MikeTSI The Reclaimer TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    That's cool man. Ya know, I actually have a 1/20 scale Syclone model someplace. I wonder how that would have work on the Optimus Alternator?
    It's the one pictured on this page here.

13. VengeanceMagnus

VengeanceMagnus Hero Reborn

That looks really good. I like the way you're incorporating the weapon into the alt mode, making it the tailgate is sweet. It fits with the base mold too. I know how you feel with renovations getting in the way, I haven't been able to work on anything for months. It would be nice to finish a project, or at least have something close enough to post.

MikeTSI- I think the scale matters less than matching up the dimensions (length, height etc.) of the base mold to the model kit.

14. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I've seen that model before and it looks like a good one. I would think it'd work pretty well with the Alt OP mold. I'd suggest grab the shell of the Syclone and compare the wheelbase and then the width with the OP figure and that'll give u a pretty good idea of how well it'd work.

Theres a few things I've learned from the boards here in the past few years since starting this project that would have helped me alot with this. Such as fitting the model to the donor Alt before cutting the model up. One of the biggest challenges with this had been to get everything to line up on the truck mode.

15. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Updated a couple bot mode pics. Still a few things to do though, so it's not totally complete yet.

16. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I love everything you've done here. It's always great to see work from you, bud :thumb 

17. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Thanks, I consider it a great compliment coming from you. Your work is amazing!

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'll reflect the same gratitude towards your way as well (thanks so much for the compliment; it's much appreciated!). Keep up the good work, bud :thumb 

19. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Updated first post with almost final pics. Bot mode is final, truck mode needs a few finishing touchs.

20. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    WOW DUDE.. veru cool :)