Alt-Mode > Robot Mode

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Wollstone, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Sometimes a Transformer either has a robot mode that makes your eyes bleed, or an alt-mode that's just too beautiful or adorable. Either way, what are some of your favorite figures that you prefer to keep in alt-mode?

Some of mine are:

The Twins as a pink, rusty, beat-up ice cream truck for obvious reasons.

ROTF Wheelie, because he's a Transformer toy of a Transformer who transforms into a toy. Also, his big chunky tires are adorable.

TFA Blitzwing in his tank mode, because it's super deformed and cute as a button.

2. simplygriff

simplygriff µ - Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    Most Dinosaur TF's stay in Dino mode in our house. A lot of legends class figures do too. Just cause they tend to fit on shelves better in alt mode.
    -G

3. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Most G1 figures, honestly. The alt. modes generally looked really neat, but the robots were mostly un-articulated bricks.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Tigatron, since he spent most of his time in beast mode on the show, and I already have Cheetor in robot mode.

5. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

ROTF Blazemaster (because of the terrible robot mode)

6. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    ✩ Robot Masters Starscream. The alt-mode is a gorgeous dinky little plane, but the robot mode is a little...lack-lustre. The head and arms are too small, and the colour scheme makes him look a little...childish?

^^ Oh god yes, and Blazemaster. Awesome alt-mode, but robot-mode is...is...*cries*

On the flip-side of the coin:

✩ ROTF Legends Ratchet. Very good robot mode, but the alt-mode sucks because his arms stop him from rolling along the ground.

✩ TFA Swoop. Awesome robot mode, but the alt-mode is a little...well, you can see through the transformation. Especially with the face.

7. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    G1 Gnaw

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My first "prefer the altmode" toy was G1 Whirl. He's such a skinny cyclops with an awesome helicopter mode, so that's what he remains most of the time.

I've been finding that to be the case with a lot of the ROTF scout toys too - not because the robot modes are particularly bad, but the nifty unusual alt modes are so nifty and unusual, especially Divebomb, Skystalker, and Deadlift. (What's the good of being a Go-Bot/Machine Robo homage if robot mode covers up the MR number? :)  )

9. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

I keep most TF'07 / RotF deluxe Autobots in vehicle mode, just because the robot modes are cluttered messes. I have some TFA deluxes in vehicle mode because I got bored with the robot modes, too.

10. TranstechCat

TranstechCat Cybernetic Chimpanzee

The original TF1 Deluxe Bumblebee ('76 Camero).

The Camero mode is nifty, but the robot mode is fugly. (Especially when compaired to the highly accurate movie Bees that have come out since then.) That, combined with the very real possibility of breaking him every time I transform him is, in my mind, reason enough to keep him locked in vehicle mode.

11. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Though mine is in robot mode right now, I much prefer the vehicle mode of the masterpiece seekers to their bot modes.

12. baggzey23

baggzey23 psn - baggzey23

wfc bumblebee since it has the best vehicle mode ever

13. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Frostbite from the first Universe line, he's better proportioned and looks more fierce in beast mode.

Cybertron Override... the bot mode is bad and I only bought it cos 'she' was a Convoy character in Japan. So it stays in vehicle mode, which is slightly less bad

Cryotek usually gets to alternate between bot and dragon mode, cos they're equally awesome

Universe Overkill, cos I have both him and Grimlock, and one of them has to show off the dino mode

ROTF Lockdown gets transformed as often as Cryotek for the same reason

I've bot Botcon Cindersaur in dino mode... his bot mode colors are more ridiculous, but the dino mode just fits the intent better

14. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Although I could go either way, I think having some of my Alternators in alt mode is really cool.

15. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    -Generations Bumblebee
    -HA Bumblebee, Skids, Mudflap, and Sideswipe
    -Alternators Prime
    -Armada Hot Shot

There are more, these are the main ones that stand out to me.

16. AMG

AMG Old School

Universe Oil Slick and my three Star Wars TF crossovers.

17. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor Moé than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    RotF Blazemaster would have to be at the top of the list in this context. I think the funniest thing about that toy is the way that they devote such an enormous amount of effort and jointing to the tail section, which only winds up as a goofy-looking backpack that doesn't even hold together at all. Couldn't they have used some of that wasted mass to, I don't know, maybe improve his shitty LEGS?

RotF Rampage is pretty high up there but his robot mode actually looks somewhat decent even though the articulation is nonexistent. His altmode has to lose some points, though, for the fact that he has rubber treads that DON'T do the only thing rubber treads SHOULD.

Some of the earliest attempts at creating realistic TF altmodes also fall into this category. RiD Sideburn and X-Brawn are good examples. I admit I actually like X-Brawn's robot mode, but that has everything to do with how absurd it is. And it's all topped off by his deadly weapon, a......pizza cutter.

There are a couple of Alternators I would include, like Skids, Prowl, and Optimus. The proportions are horrific on all three. And the HA line has Sideswipe, The Backpack That Hungers.

Aren't TFs great, though? If one mode is utter fail then you've got another one to maybe save the day.

18. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    The Ice Cream Twins, mainly to save space and because it's a goddamn ice cream truck.

19. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    TFM Skorponok stays in scorpion mode because the bot mode looks like an afterthought

20. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

None of my figures are like that. I've been lucky enough to not buy a transformer whose saving grace is their altmode. Oh...Wait...

Never mind. The piece of crap that is Universe Galvatron just popped into my thoughts, taunting me...