Alt Mirage: Translucent tail lights VS Painted Tail lights

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by godsenddeath, Nov 20, 2006.

1. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My testshot Alt Mirage has translucent rear lights.

However my production one has painted tail lights, even though the box clearly shows translucent lights.

I was wondering, did anyone pick up a production Mirage that has translucent lights?

Trying to figure out if Hasbro made the change during production, or before production started.

2. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    I can't tell for sure w/o popping them out but the tail lights on mine look as if they are translucent orange plastic. It just looks darker due to the dark plastic they are over top of.

3. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    can you post a pic comparing them? Cos I cant tell how yours look. Mine is see-through, but at the same time it looks thicker than usual. I mean, if it's painted, then it must be translucent paint, cos it's not a solid color. But I cant tell cos I'm not sure what yours looks like.

4. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:
    Translucent plastic here (light shines through them). I got lucky with my Mirage and found him right when he was originally being sighted, so I assume this is an early production one.

I had no idea that some had painted lights.

5. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I doubt that any actually have painted lights. They seem to have used a cloudy translucent plastic for them, but it's variable in its cloudiness. On mine, one taillight is obviously a separate piece of translucent plastic -- I can see the attachment point behind it -- but the other is more opaque, making it harder to tell. I think some people just got Mirages on which both lights ended up on the cloudier end of things.

6. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually, I'd doubt it more if he didn't. AFAIK, with any of the Alts (short of Nemesis Prime and Dead End), all the clear parts, including eyes, are simply molded in colourless clear plastic, probably all part of the same parts tree or two. Then the parts that need to be a different colour like eyes, turn signals, and tail-lights are then painted over in translucent paint. It's probably more cost effective to do it this way than make an entirely different mold for two small parts.

I think the translucent paint used on Mirage was just a bit more cloudy than usual, for whatever reason.

7. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    I'll see what I can do. I don't know how soon I'll be able to do so, however, as the next two days are quite hectic for me.

8. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I meant godsenddeath, since he claims to have 2 completely different sets of lights

9. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Mine looked painted but the edge that sticks out a bit is actually colored plastic. The center "hump" and outer ring is very dark but the inner ring is pretty transparent on both of the lights. Maybe they just used a different plastic to cut costs down.

10. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    To be clear (pun somewhat intended), I thought the point of the original post was to say the taillights were simply painted details rather than separately molded pieces. That's what I was doubting.

They may well have painted colorless parts with translucent paint before assembling the toys. *shrug*

11. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Having not opened my production one, i can't quite tell if it's solid painted plastic, or translucent plastic that has been painted.

However looking thru the rear window of the box, there's a considerable difference when compared with the testshot.

Sorry for not posting pics - somebody 'borrowed' my camera last week and i'm still wating to get it back. When i do (eventually) get it back, i'll provide pictures.