Minor/Repaint: ALT Hound

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Viper_486, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Viper_486

Viper_486 Cobraaa!

These pictures are a little fuzzy, and I apologise.
    They were taken with a borrowed camera way before my studio finally got one of our own.
    Eventually they'll be reshot, but with my schedule as packed as it has been, it won't be for a while yet.
    In fact, since these were taken, I painted his seats black, to further the G1 look.

That being said...

Hound was, up to the date of his release, my most anticipated Alternator.
    I was really disappointed, however, in his final appearance.
    Gone was the lean, hard military scout. In its place was an item of safety and comfort.
    It felt to me like exchanging assault weapons for marshmallows.
    I hated it.
    But all was not lost.
    I saw the spark of the old Hound I had so cherished as a child beneath that soft and yuppy-catering exterior, and I resolved to do all that I could to restore him to the form he truly deserved.
    The changes were pretty extensive, involving the removal of the back seats, construction of a more accurate jeep bed, and the creation of a gun stand that would integrate fully with his new design, while at the same time staying unobrtusive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Shots of Hound in vehicle mode.

Many thanks go out to the staff at Reprolabels for their ALT Hound G1 sticker set.
    Without those stickers he wouldnt have the impact you see here.

[​IMG]
    Here is a closeup of the rebuilt bed.
    After tearing out the seats, and shearing the pegs that held them, I filled the holes with putty, and after a couple days of sand, putty, sand, putty, I finally made the holes disappear.
    The next step was to add the raised ridges that most jeep beds have.
    These were made of styrene strips cut to size, and put in place with CA glue.
    After all of that had set, the round machine gun stand you see was installed.
    None of these modifications interfere with the leg transformation at all, actually it makes it one step easier, eliminating the dropping of the seat backs.
    Note that I have also filled and painted over the holes where the rear pieces of the roll cages were attached.

[​IMG]
    My proudest accomplishment on this project has to be the working winch I scratchbuilt for Hound.
    I have wanted Hound to have one since I saw the cartoon for the first time almost two decades ago, and only now was I able to fulfill that wish.

[​IMG]
    Here is a closeup of the winch. It has about 100 scale feet cable.
    The entire winch, including the hook, is scratchbuilt.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Observe just how drastic the changes are to the final 'bot shape, with the removal of the back seats and the roll cage, as well as how much more complete the custom one looks with those G1 tribute stickers.

[​IMG]
    Here's our hero showing off a little, celebrating the fact he no longer has to rely on just a sidearm for protection.

The full gallery can be seen here:
    http://www.flammendschadelstudios.com/Alt_Hound_trib.html

2. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Awesome! He looks great like that! The only things I see missing are a hologram projector/missile launcher on his shoulder in bot mode, and a gas can next to his spare tire.

Very cool work, though, he definitely looks like he means business now.

3. Paper Mariowned

Paper Mariowned Well-Known Member

Man, that's badass. 100 feet of cable though? That's craaazy

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Fantastic work, dude. The winch is absolutely awesome. I've got to try building one of those. I'm so impressed with that.

5. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    100 SCALE feet. the scale is 1:24....so about 4.2 feet of cable.

Awesome bro! Looks amazing!

6. Viper_486

Viper_486 Cobraaa!

Will have to do a reshoot soon, as I also have moved the spare tire over to where it is on the original figure, and added a 1:24 scale gas can.
    I have the sculpts for the shoulder cannon completed, just need to get the time between commissions in my studio to cast them.
    No resin for me, they will be cast in metal.

7. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

You really did great with this guy. I've done some similar work with my Hound--removing the roll cage, cutting down the leftover hinge bits, yanking off the doors, reprolabels :D  --but I have yet to add the rear machine gun.

Is there any way to get a brighter pic of the 'backseat' area to see what you've done with it? I have an idea from your pic, but it's pretty dark.

Nice work all around. :) 

8. Viper_486

Viper_486 Cobraaa!

For Hound I simply designed a circular pedestal about 3/16 of an inch thick out of layers of styrene sheet, to match the look of an actual mount, with a styrene tube collar one size larger than the tubing I used for the mount.
    I drilled a hole thru the pedestal the same size as the mount tube, then glued the collar over the hole.
    Lastly, I took a super-fine hobby saw and cut the entire assembly down the center, before gluing it into the stripped out Jeep bed.

To be honest, I came up with a much better system when I modded Swindle.

I'll dig around and see if I can come up with some pics.

9. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Excellent work!

10. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    sweet! :thumb 

11. AutobotEngineer

AutobotEngineer Highly Dubious

Awesome. I've got 2 hounds (don't ask), I mgiht try something similar. I love those reprolabels.

12. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

I love the winch and the bigass gun, but would it be possible to leave the rollcage on? It seems to me that a safety feature like that is logical for a military vehicle.

13. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

I love the Reprolabls Stickers as well!

Is that a Xevoz Soldier Gun you painted black?

14. Viper_486

Viper_486 Cobraaa!

Rollbars on a civilian Jeep, yes, but you wouldnt see them on most, if not all, military ones.
    At least not the type of jeep Hound is intended to be, a fire support vehicle with a .30 or .50 caliber machine gun.
    As for the safety, that tried and true design was used by the US military, from the late 1930's up till the mid 80's, with other similar design in almost every other major military, worldwide.
    In fact, there are still several militaries today around the world that still use jeeps or jeep type vehicles like this, with the same style of machine gun mount, and no rollbars.

Its one of those things where logical and practical dont necessarily see eye to eye in a combat application. ;) 

In fact, I am in the process of installing an actual machine gun mount & pintle in the 1947 Willy's Jeep that I own, to bring it up to the proper looking military lines for car shows and parades.

Yes, you could leave the rollcage on the figure, but in doing so you would lose the ability to mount a machine gun in the back, but all you would really have would be a Hound with no doors and different stickers.
    But to each their own :) 

In the end, its all up to the customizer.
    Me, I was going for a direct G1 tribute, but no matter who's doing the modding, the only limits are personal preferences and imagination.

Just my view on the whole rollbar thing.

Nope, was some plastic rifle I found in my local Goodwill's 19 cent bin.
    I chopped it, modded it, and rebuilt the grip to fit Hound.
    I'd like to know where it did come from, tho, cause Id get a bunch more for other projects. :) 

15. Paper Mariowned

Paper Mariowned Well-Known Member

Ahhh, yeah it looked kinda thick to be 100 feet. But it's flippin' awesome nonetheless!

16. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great job.:thumb 

17. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

It's Alternators G1 Hound!

I have thought about doing a re-shell on Alt Siverstreak to make G1 Bluestreak, just gotta find a nice 1:24 scale 280z.

18. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Alt. Hound looks so much badass with that new gun.

Great job.

19. zailand

zailand Well-Known Member

Dat is so cool! Love it, Good work !

20. thunderbat16

thunderbat16 scout sniper

that is awesome man keep it up