Customs: Alt Dodge Ram leg mod help

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by KYQ, Oct 21, 2007.

1. KYQ

KYQ The MSG Man

Hey gang, a quick question. How exactly do you guys do the mod for the Alt Dodge Ram mold (Prime/Nemesis prime) where you expose more of the thighs, making the legs look more proportionate? I'm certain you have to cut the plastic somewhere, but I've no idea exactly where to do it. Help appreciated!

2. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
  3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Man, I would love to try that, but there is no way in hell I'm ever cutting up Nemy Prime.

4. KYQ

KYQ The MSG Man

Thanks for the help, I've already started on it! Sadly, my lack of proper tools (this X-acto knife isn't doing the job...) is making this really difficult >_<;;

5. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    The problem with extending the legs further is that the arms become VERY mis-proportioned. An alternative for better proportions (without changing height) would be to cut down the knee pads and cut out the front of the truck covering his knee joint.

6. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

Dremel is your friend!! Well worth investing in, especially since you can use it for so many things! This mod is fairly easy to do. And I think it adds soooo much to the figure.

7. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:
    Cutting down the knee pads is the route I took. Not much more than an hour's effort. I've always wanted to try the extended thigh mod though.

After you hack up the knee pads (or whatever you're gonna do), paint the whole thigh silver. It really adds to the effect.

8. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    If you are dead-set on extending the legs, I would really recommend extending the arms, for proportions sake. By studying the leg mechanism, longer, extending arms ought to be possible, with a lot of work. You'll have a hard time hollowing out the forearm compartments, though, as the black bar is the rod that keeps the whole forearm together, so a lot of glue would be in order.

As for cutting tools, a dremel is very much so recommended. If you're going out for your first one, Target has a medium-duty rotary tool (Dura-Built brand) that comes with a bunch of accessories, all for $20. At the register, it may ring up $30, as it did for me, but just point out the sign with the $20 price and the cashier will be happy to fix it (if your sign reads $30, then um... nothing you can do. ^^;) . It's not the most powerful thing, and may slow down a bit when stuck in a tight spot, but it definitely gets the job done.

9. KYQ

KYQ The MSG Man

Wargh, looks like a dremel it is. Time for a trip to the art store/Target ASAP!

You have a point there, too Kouri, I didn't realise the consequences of the thigh extensions. I knew that at the maximum length, it makes the legs look too lanky, but I didn't notice how the arms looked ridiculously short too.

I'm probably gonna go for the cut knees.

10. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I disagree. The average human arm extends nearly halfway down the thigh (fingers extended). With the leg mod (I've done this), Prime's fist (fingers closed) extend almost to his knee, meaning the mod actually corrects for the mis-proportionality of the SRT mold. In fact, the correction isn't enough, as Prime's arms are still disproportionately longer than his legs.

11. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Hahah, you've actually got a point. Every time I've seen pictures of the mod, they always bend Op's arms up, and I've read a bunch of complaints to along with it. I honestly never even checked my own Prime. I feel kind of silly now. -.-;

Even still, unless one intends on making Prime taller, I'd still suggest cutting out the knees as it's the easier option of the two. It puts the knees in proportion without having to move them. ^^

12. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    thing is, its really easy to do the leg mod if you have a dremel...