Alphas

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Deceptijohn, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    Anyone else catch the premiere? I thought it was a much better opener than Falling Skies by a long shot. I had to look up this one chick from the show because I couldn't remember where I'd seen her before. Turns out she played Janey Slater in the Watchmen movie.

IMDB

2. raiden225005

raiden225005 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Usually pilots can be pretty hit or miss and usually slow to get going. I loved how they didn't take forever to explain the powers or introduce characters. The team being already together was great too and they even set up the start of the main arc. I hope the show keeps going strong and doesn't end up like Heroes.

3. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Recording the pilot as I type...hoping this will be a good summer series. :) 

4. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I've been watching this and it's pretty good. It's not great, but it's enjoyable I think. I think it's riding that fine line though where it could be great or just get worse.

5. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I thought it was pretty damn good, There's been four episodes thus far, and three of them were fucking awesome.

Rosen and Hicks are the best characters by far.

6. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    I am getting the feeling that their building up to an us(regular people) vs. them(alphas) scenario and I hope I am right. They could be like a mutant A-team, trying to be the good guys and help other alphas while being hunted by the agency they used to report to.

7. Overlord Balder

They are, this is X3 all over again [which doesn't surprise me, seeing as Zak Penn created both Alphas and wrote X2 and X3].

Three out of four episodes until now used that idea of "Humans VS Superhumans War brewing":

- On the pilot, The Ghost [as he dies] says: "You're on the wrong side." To Hicks, already hinting this idea.

- On the second episode, Macus downright throws this concept at your face, with him talking about how the Compound is a cruel place, of how the scientis were trying to do "something more" with the Alphas, and of how humanity never accepts the Alphas [which is subsequently proven in the moment that the FBI-dude whose name I don't recall shoots Macus], thus hitting that humanity is not accepting the Alphas that well.

- On the fourth,
    Anna
    told Gary about a Medicine that will stop the birth of the Alphas [conffirming that mankind is starting to wage war against them].

On the fourth,
    Anna
    also started to talk about how Alphas are superior and all that Magneto-esque talk, Gary seemed quite affected.

To make the WAR even more obvious, Macus says that the doc he murdered was "a casualty in a war" and the Red Flag is revealed to be not only a small terrorist group, but a whole goddamn army of Rogue Alphas.

So yes, they are setting the pieces on the chessboard to start a war in some future, and things are moving towards the "war" direction in a insanely quick level [we're not even mid-season and Red Flag is turning powerful as the damn hell, prejudice is growing and all that shit].

They seem to be shaping the alliances to start a war, as our "Extremist Alphas of all evil" we have:
    -
    Macus, as he is implied to be alive.
    -
    Anna, the master hacker of Red Flag and one of the leaders of the corporation

As our "Extremist humans of all evil" we have:
    - The FBI-guy whose name I forgot.

Just wait, I bet my right-hand that and we'll have a full-sized war going on on the season finale.

Also, I bet my right-hand that there will be a massive break-out on the Compound sometime.

8. Overlord Balder

So, Am I the only watching this? Such a shame.

New Episode was okay, not bad, but not great either.
    You see, this show should stop focusing on the Freak of the Week and go straight to Red Flag and the themes of prejudice against the Alphas [though granted, out of five episodes, three brought up the "Superhuman Civil War" theme].

With each episode that passes, my opinion on the cast solidifies:

Hicks [whom I nicknamed as "The Sniper" because Hicks is not that threatening] - Most awesome character in the whole show, a walking Crowning Moment of Awesome both in personality and powers, this guy is what makes the episode worth it.
    If the show becomes about him, awesomeness will rain from the skies.

Bill - Can Range from "annoying control freak" to "useful badass", he's on the grey area for me, he can be awesome ["I don't know about you but I...am going to RUN." *awesomeness ensues*] or annoying as hell [pick one scene of him with Gary, Nina or Hicks and you'll see what I'm talking about].

Nina - Ridicuously hot, and charismatic. She and Hicks make a great pair [two are also Snarkers] The show should focus on THEM more oftenly.

Rachel - Cool when she isn't the focus, sort of "annoying Woobie" when she IS the focus. It's a good supporting character overall.

Gary - The Scrappy: He's not funny, not entertaining and annoying, I can only tolerate him because he's useful.

Lee Rosen - Cool doc, I think he was more interesting on the first episode with his whole "Control your powers, young one" thing, but he's charismatic and I like him, they should only show more of his "Badass Analist" personality.

I think the show should now find some cool villains, like an Australian Sniper with a badass moustache [and a cool hat] and a russian thug with a badass beard who loves to blow up things and thinks he is doing the good for mankind, something!

9. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    I'm watching it, I just don't have much to say about it atm.

10. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Its a pretty good show, on the Sfy channel.

11. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Got caught up on all my DVR'd eps and I think they've got the makings of a good series here. The team is melding together nicely and the stories have been fairly interesting, so far. :popcorn 
    Will keep watching this one!

12. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    I enjoyed last night's episode. Laura Mennell in her bra? Yes please. I was hoping they wouldn't get anyone in the team hooked up so soon, but I guess it was inevitable. At least they broke it off early and left it hanging. Unrequited sexual tension is more interesting than following a straight up relationship arc imo.

13. Overlord Balder

Though the last episode was excellent, one of the best episodes yet [probably THE best alongside "Rosetta" and the second episode].

This episode did wonders for Bill's personality, he was an annoying dumbass until now, this episode made him a nicer guy with some nice character arc thrown in it.

Oh, and Hicks motherfucking dodged a bullet.

I'm serious: Hicks is the best character in this show.

14. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    This show keeps delivering. Having Summer Glau in last night's episode didn't hurt. I'm gonna predict that the current situation of the team working for the govt doesn't last into season 2. They have dropped too many clues about which way the wind is blowing.

15. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    Seems sad I'm the only one who feels like talking about this show. I keep waiting for a bad episode, but it just hasn't happened yet.

16. Overlord Balder

I've been watching it too, and yes this show is really goddamn awesome.

The Summer Glau episode was nice, made the whole "Superhuman civil war" theme even better [like exploring the fact that, you know, our heroes may very well be on the wrong side and that Dr.Rosen might become a tool for the villains later on], this shows really knows what to do with its plot and characters, that's what better: Is not a bunch of made-on-the-spot character developmend and twists, it's a really well-done and well-developed connection between character development and story.

I hope this show gets renewed for a next season, I really want to see a Human-Superhuman Civil War here.

I say this series only needs some charismatic big bad to fit, like someone played by Hugh Laurie or Geoffrey Rush [in other words, a Large Ham] to strike our heroes deeply.

17. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    I think the big bad is coming. They have mentioned this opposition group, but haven't developed it. I have a good feeling it will get picked up for another season, so maybe they will introduce more about that group in the season finale?

I think the character development I have enjoyed the most is Gary's. He went from being portrayed as the only true "freak" in the group but has become a teacher to the others in a lot of ways.

And Brent Spiner is in the next episode! Yay!

18. Overlord Balder

I think it's impossible to NOT feature Red Flag in the season finale, every time the group is mentioned, SHIT GETS REAL, everyone looks out and some major event happens [i.e the only time they've truly shown themselves, back in "Rosetta"
    they outsmarted the heroes with a flick of their wrist and got away with exploding a medical facility, they essentially WON in that episode.
    ].

They've already introduced one leader of Red Flag
    Anna, the "Soundwave" of the organization
    , there's four more according to Dr.Rosen's chart, it's likely that the season finale with feature another one, either the big boss either his right-hand-man in my opinion [or both].

You know who should they hire as the villain? Sam Elliott, the dude is badass and really, REALLY needs a work.

It would be beyond awesomeness to hear that voice of his saying "Red Flag, Kill them." or something of the kind, or maybe "Pick your sides Dr.Rosen, because there's a War coming."

And I really hope this gets a second season, there's a lot to explore.

I still think Gary has a long road to go, he's still very annoying, but they're doing good with his character developmend, he's slowly turning into quite a nice character [key word is slowly].

But I liked more what they did with Rosen [as they seem to love throwing him into morality-challenging situations] and Bill [who went from a complete unlikeable jerkass in the pilot to a rather rough but nice guy just wanting his job back on "Bill and Gary's Excellent Adventure" onwards].

Rosen is my favorite character thus far, with Hicks coming in a close second because he kicks ass with that power. DAMN. The guy dodges bullets!

And because he's hilarious..

Bill - "You know what I would like to see?"
    Hicks - "Poneys crossing a rainbow?"

EPICNESS.

Their casting criteria thus far is on the verge of becoming "Is it connected to SCI-FI stuff? CASTED!".

19. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wants 3rd Party Knock Out

I like this show. I have only seen a couple of episodes thou. I will try to catch up. I just hope Syfy doesnt cancel this one like the rest.

20. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    :lol 

Which totally works for me.