Almost Transformers - 1:24 Roadbots Review!

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Polenicus, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    Well, since I got these things, I decided I migth as well review them, as there was some curiosity. As 1:24 licensed vehicles, they have some strong commonalities with alternators, and since the 1:24 scale line appears to be dead, well, those who were fans of it might be thinking of these guys as a way to extend the line in a way.

Currently, Happy Well has two 1:24 scale Roadbots. These are licensed vehicles, and it shows in their vehicle forms. In many ways these two are superior to the earliest Roadbots, but they have their own issues. First, a shot of them together:

[​IMG]

They don't look too bad, really. They both have rubber tires, though the rubber is harder than the tires in Alternators (About the same as other Roadbots). The interiors are detailed, though the level of detail is somewhat less than that of actual Alternators.

Now, to start with the weaker of the two Roadbots, the Land Rover Defender.

[​IMG]

The plastic is actually molded in a very nice metallic flake green that does a good job of simulating an actual car's paint job. The vehicle mode pegs together securely, and fits together without any gaps or misalignments. This is definitely the stronger of this guy's modes.

[​IMG]

The doors both open, to reveal the detailed front interior.

[​IMG]

The back door also opens, but the back of the vehicle is full of robot parts

[​IMG]

The engine is also kind of detailed... though I seriously doubt many Land Rovers have yellow and red engines. Still, better than having an empty engine compartment.

[​IMG]

The 'gimmick' of this line is working lights, in this case, the front lights. Again, I don't think many Land Rovers have RED headlights, but the gimmick is fairly unobtrusive. You can see the Land Rover logo on the front of the vehicle.

[​IMG]

Here you see the underside of the vehicle, and where the blade of the sword stows (The handle is the engine, and the sword of the light up feature. Hence the red headlights). The illusion of a car kinda breaks down here, but... really, do you care that much about the underside of your car Transformers?

Now, for Robot mode! Transformation is somewhat simpler than an Alternator.

[​IMG]

Eh. He actually looks better in pictures than he does in real life. He ends up wearing the interior of the car on his back. The body is long, and the legs stubby. The legs also lack any sort of knees. Articulation in the arms is okay, but the shoulder balljoints are hindered by the lousy clearances.

[​IMG]

The engine and light assembly combines with the sword blade to make his sword, which lights up. Pew pew! The blade is only attached by two small pegs, and is wobbly and falls out easily.

[​IMG]

He's a closeup of the face. Not a bad sculpt, actually, and the paint apps are clean. He looks kind of angry. Probably because he has crummy shoulders and no knees.

[​IMG]

here's also a bunch of clip-on armor for him, which... kinda sorta works? In reality, it just tends to get in the way and hinder poseability even further. In addition, on mine the shoulder armor flat out didn't work as the instructions indicated... there is a design flaw where it's supposed to peg into the holes in the spokes of the wheel, but the pegs are positioned wrong. I had to modify them to get them to clip on at all. The chrome was also scuffed in places.

[​IMG]

Still angry. Still got bad shoulders. Still got no knees.

Well, let's move on to his companion, the Jaguar Roadbot!

[​IMG]

Nice vehicle mode. The plastic of the winshield is not only nice and clear, but thick and sturdy too... it actually feels sturdier than most Alts, which is a surprise. Again, the same metal-flake coloration, this time in deep blue.

[​IMG]

Here are the engine details... pretty basic, really.

[​IMG]

For this roadbot, the gimmick lights up the taillights, which actually works in red. Not badly executed. I really don't know how necessary the massive light-up swords ARE, but they seem to be a Roadbot staple, and it's nice to see them using some creativity to make the gimmick carry over to vehicle mode.

[​IMG]

A shot of the interior. The seats do not move on either vehicle. I should also note that the wheels don't turn like they do on Alternators. They're also both right-hand drive... which makes sense for British vehicles.

[​IMG]

All in all, a very pretty car.

[​IMG]

The underside works a little better on the Jaguar. Not exactly what you'd see unhder a real Jaguar, but at least there isn't a massive clear sword hanging there.

[​IMG]

Robot mode. A bit better proportioned than the Defender, but still top-heavy. The legs still don't have any knees, though the feet are ball-joined. The arms and shoulders have much better movement, however, and he's just overall more solid in robot mode.

[​IMG]

Still doesn't look happy. Maybe he's constipated? I know what will make him happy! BLING!

[​IMG]

WOAH! That's a LOT of gold! The sword gets a serious upgrade, and the armor carries with it a definite 'Cat' motif, with clawed arm guards and a Jaguar-like helmet. The armor works a good deal better for him than Defender's does, and manages to not hamper poseability much at all. It doesn't help with the proportion issues, but it's certainly... distracting.

[​IMG]

Still not happy? Mebbe Happy Well will make you some Fembots to pimp...

And, for comparison's sake...

[​IMG]

Here's the two of them in Vehicle mode with a Reprolabelled Tantrum. The Roadbots are slightly larger, but not so much as to break the scale.

[​IMG]

And here they are with Hot Rod in robot mode. The bling is pretty out of place, but size wise they're close, if a bit bigger.

Overall, they're not too bad, but they're nowhere close to real Alternators. The hands are blocks, articulation is limited, and the proportions are odd in places. The plastic quality isn't bad, but not as good as an Alt, and I worry about stress fractures in some of the more delicate joints.

These two were definitely designed with the vehicle mode in mind first, and the armor is an afterthought that feels almost knock-off-ish. Still, if you can find them for cheap, they might be worth picking up.

2. rherk

rherk KNERDOUT

Ebay:
    Thanks for the review with pics. I'd like to know about those motorcycles if you have those as well.

3. Ricky_Stream

Ricky_Stream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    where did you get them from? and does anyone know in europe of a place that sells these?

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Hmmm, if it was possible to relocate the Jaguar's sholder kibble to the legs to make the legs look thicker, along with adding knees as well, I'd be interested.

5. ease

ease HIPHOPTIMUS PRIME

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for posting this review. I have some of the larger scale Roadbots and was wondering about this scale. Looks pretty good. I'm also wondering about the Motorcycles too.

6. Xformermike

Xformermike Well-Known Member

i like the jeeps robot mode more actually, as far as pictures go. The jags chest looks too big and his legs look to small.

Might feel differently if I owned them though! Thanks for posting! :) 

7. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I'm afraid this is all I have. I'm not really inclined to get the motorcycles. But if anyone else has them, feel free to post about 'em.

I got mine from BBTS.

Like I said, the Land Rover looks better in pictures than in person (Which is a bizarre, inverse of how it normally works). His torso is too long and his legs too short... if he HAD knees and I posed him with them bent, it would quickly become apparent how bad it really is.

8. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Very good review. Good pictures and I enjoyed reading your comments.

These new Roadbots are pretty disappointing. They improved on some things it appears, like the level of partsforming, but the horrible proportions remain and the articulation is just as crappy as ever. I think there are some older Roadbots that are better looking than these guys. Also, block-fists on a figure of this size?

They need to stop wasting money on stupid gimmicks like giant weapons and electronics and put it towards fixing the things that would make these look like decent robots.