AllSpark vs Quintessons - Which origin you like better?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by AllSpark Shard, Aug 16, 2009.

1. AllSpark Shard

AllSpark Shard Squirrel-flattener

Hi. I was thinking about this...

I always loved G1, and in the final season we got to know the creators of the Transformers, the Quintessons. And before, we knew Vector Sigma, the Matrix, etc. All this played a role in the creation and origins of our beloved Transformers characters.

Then came Michael Bay's movies. And although the first Transformers movie was not the first appearance of the AllSpark, the one that was featured in it was an amalgam of the concepts from G1, even energon had something to do with it. While it was a bit apart from the G1 origins, it kept much of the source material, and I think the movie origin is far more solid than in G1.

I must say, that although i like both origins, I much, much prefer the origin of the Transformers told in Bay's movies. Its far better developed, mysterious, makes them more like an alien race, truly alive, with a true culture, and the product of the action of some divine power, if you want to call it that. In G1, they seem more like dolls that for some excuse, not really a reason, wanted to turn their creators into roadkill. They dont seem to be truly alive if they were just machines without sentience before. They seem more like something that evolved just by some random events arther than being a product of life itself. I like very much the ancient, mystical aspect in the AllSpark.

Primus and all that stuff from the comics or the like, doesnt do it for me either. Too bad i must say, that in ROTF the AllSpark got pretty much cast aside.

I could bring in a lot more arguments, but I think these are enough to make my point.

What do you guys think?

2. megatronski

megatronski PURGE THE HERETIC

News Credits:
    i like the allspark better because it is explained in more depth.

3. Heracles Max

Heracles Max Forticon Leader

Quintessons..

I like the whole sentient machine approach.

Sparks/Lasercores being a part of Primus, giving them life.

Quintessons enslaving them, them throwing off the Quintesson yoke and engaging in a civil war afterwards.

My two cents... :) 

4. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

Quint one is full of loopholes. And, the Quins are quintessential liars, and never told the truth anyway, so it's their word that they did it, basically. We see in the G1 toon what happens AFTER the TFs would have been 'made'.

I like the Allspark version. Not Primus either, hate that. Allspark. And like Heracles said, the Quints to me, just found Cybertron and enslaved the native TFs, modifying them a bit and creating new versions based off of the TFs already existing there. Quints didn't create the race. They enslaved and modified it.

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I never liked the Quintesson theory. Ever. not even as a kid. I always preferred the Primus/Unicron theory. Far more epic, and far more interesting IMO.
    I like the movie take on it, I have to admit.

6. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Love Quintessons. They are just so creepy and scary. I like how they were the ones that built them. Just like I love that Primacron built Unicron.

7. cnic

cnic Decepticon

Allspark.

8. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

All-Spark. I hated the Quintessons being the ones responsible for the birth of the Transformers race.

9. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

I think those who are super god fearing will always say allspark as it makes direct correlations to creation by a single entity.

Then again some may just like the clean single origin approach with out any real explanation of how or why.

Personally I love the Quintessons approach because they were machines that grew to the point they had an identity and were still in their subservient roles. They revolted and were shambled with no purpose no existance yet to call their own.

The Quint timeline is much more complex than the Allspark and it is way more interesting.

A direct example is that Cybertron was built up over millions of years by the Transformers from the original foundry that the Quintessons used. Cybertron had millions of years of history that was built over with every successive generation ( much like curascant in Star Wars ). This allows you to physically find all the history and see things as we saw quite a few times in the G1 series.

The allspark denies you of that as the allspark turned a mudball into a planet so everything is a shallow as the director and on the surface only. I think the Allspark essentially is an easier to write story by far but far less interesting. The allspark is their history their future and their bible/koran all rolled up into one. It just seems stupid for the Transformers to have religion and highly religious overtones as it dilutes the alien nature and makes the personalities less human. Zealots in any form always seem odd and not exactly understandable.

10. Nemesis_Dirge

Nemesis_Dirge Banned

News Credits:
    yeah this is tough...floating squid looking robots vs a rubix looking cube with glyphs all over....what ever will we pick....

floating squid heads...

11. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    This, except I like to think of the Allspark as a Primus-forged artifact.

12. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    The Allspark. Created by the Quintessons.

OH SNAP.

13. Galva-Cannon

Galva-Cannon Well-Known Member

Well, if you recall the season 3 episodes that deal with the Quintessons creating the Transformers, there are flashback sequences that give very good reasons for why they rebelled against their creators.

I mean, the Quintessons were forcing them to work as slaves on production lines, until they died of exhaustion, tossing them aside once that happened. And they were also forcing them to fight to the death in gladiatorial combat, just for amusement.

It's almost exactly the same "robot uprising" idea that originated from Isaac Asimov, through to the present day with the Terminator and Matrix films. Although I think the G1 Transformers have a particularly good reason for rebelling, because the Quintessons are portrayed as much worse than the humans in the other stories I mentioned. They're portrayed as being downright sadistic, homicidal (robocidal?) psychopaths.

14. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

That is why I like the Quints version its far more deep and involved the allspark makes everything way to predictable.

The Asimov line for the Transformers also just makes cybertron more interesting since it isnt just a mudball the allspark touched. Actually with the Fallen in TF2 everything about the allspark was practically cast aside. I honestly cant believe these people get paid to write stories.

15. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Allspark

16. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    To be honest, I think it's just a matter of personal preference. You can't say the Allspark origin is way too predictable compared to the robotic uprising idea, since robotic uprising is the one theme that is most wellknown/most popular/strongly associated with robots.
    I'd say giving the robots a similar divine origin to what most humans believe is actually less predictable, although it doesn't win any originality prizes either, I guess.

Something I like about the Quintessons origin more is that it gives an easy and good distinction between Autobots and Decepticons: one race built for labor, one race built for war purposes. In some of the TF origins in which there is no difference between the two it is kind of strange why all the robots that are ugly or bulky happen to be Decepticons. There is no reason why an evil robot should look like a creepy insect or a dragon while the good guys look like loyal robotic dogs, except for giving the audience a visible difference to keep track of who's who. If the Decepticons are a different race built for more violent tasks, it becomes easier to 'justify' these differences.

17. Liam Prime

Liam Prime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i like the quintessons. theyre an interesting race of alien but i just profer the allspark/primus origin

18. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've just retcon'D them both together. The all spark made the first few, Quints come enslave them, mass produce them for cheap labour and over the course of time most of the historical records are lost to time

19. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    I've never viewed the Quintessons as the makers of Transformers, period. I've always seen them in my mind as a twisted race that came upon Cybertron and enslaved the Cybertronian robots into servitude for so long their prior history is forgotten. Mass-producing the species for war machines and general duties to sell them off about the cosmos.

Primus is my choice, usually. It's the go-to origin with the most interesting mystique about it, something powerful. And I mean the oldschool stuff on the matter, not Dreamwave's giant retcon of 'Primus, his brother Unicron, and The One'. As far as I'm concerned, that crap went under with Pat Lee's career, thankfully.

But for the Bayformers, The Allspark has been established, as both the Primus & Vector Sigma of the movieverse, and I feel it fits.

20. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    That would be cool for TF3.

I like the Quintessons but the Allspark is fine for the movie. Although I don't like the name "allspark".