All this talk about scalpers--let's do something

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by flamepanther, Aug 30, 2007.

1. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Instead of just bitching to eachother about the epidemic of jackass scalper scumm out there, we should be taking action. For starters, we all need to refuse to buy from scalpers. Period. More than that, we should be complaining to the stores where we shop for letting scalpers get away with this. While the store staff may not care, the higher-ups in any business are usually very concerned with customer satisfaction and they should listen if they start getting enough complaints. We should be pointing out that letting one person take the entire stock not only discourages collectors from shopping at their stores, but that it leaves a bad taste in the mouth of parents and anyone wanting to buy gifts for children. Letting scalpers hijack the stock is a disservice to many customers for the sake of only one, and if regional managers or even higher are made aware of it, they might actually do something. Your thoughts?

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i say we cut off their balls.

3. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i say KA cuts off their balls.

4. flamepanther

Seconded. We should go ahead with complaints to store chains as well though.

5. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    People are paying SEVEN HUNDRED dollars for movie bb's with some silver splashed on them. The people we are talking about probably don't even visit this board, and are rich casual fans with too much money to spend. Its never gonna change :( 

6. flamepanther

It will change if we can get stores to change their policies on collectible toys.

7. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you really hate what salpers are doing than the only real option you have is to not buy from them. And, while you're at it, don't buy from online retailers and such either because they're taking away cases that would have made it to toy store shelves if not for them. Never buy another brand new thing on eBay ever again and only buy from retail stores or their online counterparts.

Now that I've had my little moment of haha I'll point out that it would take an astronomical amount of people complaining to any retail chain to actually make the higher ups take notice. Further more, they really can't take anymore action than the rules that they've already put in place to enforce the no scalper policies that they already have. You can't just identify a scalper shopping in your store (well, maybe the Hot Wheels guys that wear old clothing, still live in mommy's basement and smell like they don't know how to use soap and water) as they don't ware big signs saying 'I'M A SCALPER AND I RAPE YOUR TOY COLLECTION AND LITTLE TIMMY'S CHILDHOOD!' So, there's really no better way to enforce the policies they have than to do what they're doing. Again, if you don't like scalpers than don't buy from them. Simple as that.

And you can't exactly prove that someone buying more than one of something is a scalper either... he could be buying the extras for a friend, relative or child in their life or perhaps they like to buy more than one of each figure for either multiples for display or something. Don't like someone buying more than one of each figure? Too bad. Life isn't fair and some people have more money than others, but that doesn't make them a scalper or 'as bad as a scalper' as some would have us believe.

Like I said, if you really don't want to pay inflated prices from the scalpers than don't buy anything off of them from eBay -which I read people doing constantly even though they bitch about the scalping- and stop shopping at online stores like BBTS, HLJ and the like as those cases would have went to toy stores if not for the 'equally evil' online retailers -who also charge a markup to sell their figure... Classics Grimlock for $20 anyone?-. Point being, you're not going to do anything about it because some people don't care and than ones that claim to will still buy from the scalper because they can't go without having a $10 piece of plastic -even if they have to pay $20 or more for it- from a child's toyline.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    seriously ive actually slowed down purchases. fuck all this jacked up prices im jumping off the movie bandwagon and let noobies learn their lesson.

9. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    The thing stores could do is set a limit for purchases like Bestbuy does for movie and video games. I already do not buy from scalpers and have laughed as I walk out their store. Just a couple a weeks ago this guy was trying to sell a Robot Replica for $25, so as I walked out of his store I made sure to say loud enough that he could hear, to my wife "at these prices, its no wonder the guy had to move to a smaller location". I also feel that the signs that Target has begun to post on shelves that state "these toys are collectibles, dont ask staff to go to the back" have actually been a backlash as it attracts scalpers right away.

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    as much as i want to see dept stores stop scalper, i dont see a way for them to prevent customers clearing shelves in a single receipt.

11. flamepanther

Easy. They already do it with other products and sales.

"Limit x per customer."

Yeah, L.O., that's real hard to spot. And what most stores are doing about scalpers is nothing. I think they can do a bit more than nothing.

12. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here's the problem with that: at Best Buy each individual movie or game has it's own item number and UPC so that none share the same. That means they can say 'Hey, you can't buy more than two of that particular movie/game right now because it's brand new and a hot item'. With toys, you have case assortments that contain multiple different figures. If say Target starts saying 'We will no longer allow anyone to buy more than two Transformers at a time from a single price point' just imagine the backlash that we'd have from the collector community when they go into Target and see the six brand new Transformers that they were looking for, but they can't buy all six because Target's new policy doesn't allow them to purchase more than two at a time from that price point anymore?

And, you can't say, well they can make it so that you can't purchase more than two of that particular character, because all the figures in that price point share the same information in the computer and the cashier's don't have the time to say 'Hey, you've got more than two 08 Bumblebee's here! You can't have more than two!' It's just not feasible given the performance standards that retail stores put on their cashier's for getting the customers out the door quickly.

13. flamepanther

The limit per customer doesn't have to = 1 or 2. Make the limit equal to the number of unique figures in the assortment. Problem solved.

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    yeah but even then there are loopholes. some o these dudes hire minions to break up their purchases.

being a former SW collector, ive come to accept scalpers as part of the hobby. you beat em with knowledge knowing how to avoid dealing with em. you could prolly help spread awareness, like youre doing now, but theres no real way of stopping them directly.

so were back to cutting their balls.

15. flamepanther

Measures like the ones being suggested (even yours) certainly wouldn't eliminate scalping, but it stands a good chance of reducing it. For every factor that makes scalping less convenient or less profitable, fewer potential scalpers are going to bother with it. If that means actually seeing one or two movie toys on the shelves that aren't Real Gear occasionally, that's good enough for me.
    Well then get to it.

16. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm almost done with the movie line and with the exception of one toy bought from a fellow board member, I bought it all at retail. I already refuse to support scalpers, I guess with realistic expectations of what children's toys should cost.

I don't think it's unreasonable to call out a guy with a cartful of toys to a manager and say "Hey Sparky! Do you have a policy limiting quantities or not? Kids might want those too!" At this point, it's not even for me but for all those 6-year-olds that want a Bumblebee too.

17. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As for limiting one per customer I already said why that wouldn't work so I won't go into it again.

As for the guy in that story, sure you can look at him and say that he's a scalper, but you don't know that and neither do the people at that particular retail chain. I honestly can't think of any good reason for him to buy THAT many of anything, but you have to understand that they just can't call him out on purchasing that kind of stuff -and while some managers might, most won't- because they have to tread a really thin line when it comes to dealing with this sort of thing. About the only thing they'll regularly enforce like this -at least at my Target- is video games and game systems and that's because NO ONE has any good reason to be buying two or more of any game system that costs upwards of $250 or more a pop. What they are is obvious at that point.

Retail stores do acknowledge that scalpers hurt the market and they do have systems in place not to give the scalpers what they want. Perhaps they're not perfect systems, but to be honest I see people on here breaking the systems as much as the scalpers... we're not supposed to pull merchandise from the backroom because we don't do that for collectibles -only time this is allowed is when the shelve is dead empty of the item-, however, I seem to recall many collectors breaking those rules -or finding ways around them- as much as scalpers. Which brings me to one point: Collectors complaining to retail management probably won't go very far for one reason all together... they consider many of us just as annoying and problematic as scalpers because we don't respect many of the policies they've put into place either.

18. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Which changes per assortment. Some have six unique figures others have more and others still have less. Either way, it's more trouble than it's worth for the higher ups as now you're talking about having someone whom specializes in this sort of thing -breaking up the assortments and than figuring out how many unique figures in a particular assortment there are- which costs money and the last thing any retail chain wants to spend is more money.

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    So what you're saying is, cashiers can't be trusted to tell the difference between a jet and a motorcycle and would consider them the same item if their scanner box told them so?

That's fine for Targetrons, but Walmart and TRU use the UPCs, which are unique. Fuck, block the computer from ringing up more than two of any UPC of a collectible. Done and done.

20. flamepanther

That's like saying you don't know the guy masturbating in the bushes at a playground is a pedophile.
    Sure they can. Stores, at least in the US, have the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason short of racial discrimination.
    Simple counter argument: Fewer collectors would do that if the shelves weren't being cleared out by scalpers.
    I'm not expecting management to hire someone to count the individual figures per assortment. Hasbro can provide that number. They can use an average if necessary.