All That Remains on Primetime Saturday Morning Cartoons

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by AniProwl, Dec 2, 2008.

1. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    For those who don't know at the end of this year, 4Kids will be shutting down their Saturday morning block (4KidsTV). Now, the only original Saturday morning block which is CW4Kids for non-cable viewers. With ABC just replaying Disney channel shows and CBS & NBC playing mostly shows from Nick JR., Saturday morning is closer to death. Good luck, 4Kids, you're the only original primetime Saturday Morning Cartoon that remains now.

Schedule Predictions from ToonZone
    7:00 AM - GoGoRiki (E/I)
    7:30 AM - Winx Club (E/I)*
    8:00 AM - Kirby: Right Back at Ya!*
    8:30 AM - Sonic X*
    9:00 AM - Huntik: Secrets and Seekers
    9:30 AM - Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight
    10:00 AM - TMNT: Back to the Sewer
    10:30 AM - Dinosaur King
    11:00 AM - Chaotic: M'arrillian Invasion
    11:30 AM - Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's

*-Replaced by other shows

2. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    I thought you meant All That Remains who are an awesome metal band, and I got slightly amused

:( 

3. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

What, no Spectacular Spider-man?

That sucks, I remember when I was a kid, I had some serious CHOICE as to what Saturday morning cartoons I watched. Of course, then... we also had a good choice as to weekday morning cartoons, and afterschool cartoons. There's really not a lot on for kids these days.

4. soundwave86

soundwave86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That is so true, i remember always watching some kind of cartoon when i got home from school or before i went to school.

5. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Their probably holding off till season two comes out

6. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Are you kidding? They have whole networks and programming blocks dedicated to them.

Or are you referring to Sat AM in general? That I'd agree with.

7. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This.

And with the hi-def, on-demand, digital world we live in, kids today don't need their special time slots for programming like we did. They can pretty much watch what they want, when they want.

Saturday morning, while once close to a religious sabbath for me, is a dinosaur of a concept. By the time I have children interested in TV, it will just be a random chunk of the week for them.

8. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

In the Regan years, restrictions on childrens' cartoons where lifted to help the economy and help sell toys. That's why we (20-30 year old males now) collected all of the Transformers, G.I.JOE, M.A.S.K., He-Man, Go-Bots, Thundercats, and all of the other stuff we remember.

It's not the same anymore because of video games and the internet.

9. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Exactly.

It'll be a great day for TV junkies when we can just download the latest episode of our favorite show instead of having to wait for it to air. No more planning your week around your viewing preferences or setting TiVo to record it. I know the internet scares the crap out of network and studio execs (even moreso in the music biz) because they know that their days are numbered for their ability to forcefeed viewers what they think we want to watch and making us wait to watch it.

10. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Really? Then why are all the Bakugan toys always sold out at Walmart? Why are toys for Dora, Elmo, and certain Disney properties always in high demand? Because cartoons and kids shows are still made to sell merchandise, and kids will always want to have the toys to play with from their favorite shows.

11. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Saturday morning isn't prime time.

12. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had saturday morning rituals that i only dream about these days.
    Robotech airing at 4 a.m. for an hour, then a local wake up/fishing show that gave me time to make pop tarts or cereal, then i vegged out on the couch the rest of the day to cartoon goodness.

with cable/sat/dvr and on demand, it ain't happening again.

so i kinda miss it.
    but i am old (mid 30s) so what do i know?

13. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

A slight difference is that most of the 80s shows started with the toy first, and built the cartoon to sell the toy.

The shows you cite, I think, typically start as tv shows, and then cash in on the toys later.

Anyway, I'm not sure why anyone in morning the loss of the saturday shows. They are still on Fox and CW, and kids have entire networks now delivering them their animated crack. The only reason we got the saturday time block is because it was the ratings ghetto.

14. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I'm so glad I was a kid in the 80's when Saturday morning meant something.

15. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I gotta agree with this. While part of me is sad to see Saterday Morning Cartoons go, I realize I've barely watched cartoons on a Saterday morning for a long time.

16. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

P.S. Prime Time isn't in the morning...

17. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm not really surprised. As fondly as I remembered waking up on a Saturday morning, things like digltal cable/On Demand, DVD's, iTunes, and video games have changed things up so kids don't have to go by a TV schedule as much to get their animated fix.

18. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

For Cartoons it was.

I have a love hate relationship with the internet. I love that I can get what I want when I want it. But I miss the collective experience.
    What I mean is that we used to all share in watching Transformers after school. Or watching cheers on Thursday night. The News at 6:00. This gave us all something in common.
    I also miss the surprise. I used to sit in a theater and a trailer would shock me, excite me ect...
    Now I know about the flim years before the trailer.
    Or going into a store and seeing something new. Now we have all seen pictures and reviews well before they hit our shelves.

19. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

So did I :( 

20. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

Well... here in Canada, we have 3 channels for kids, YTV, Teletoon and Family Channel (Disney stuff), 4 if you have digital TV, which gives you Teletoon Retro (which is the old, mostly good stuff). For Saturday morning, it's basically a choice between which version of 4kids you want, and these stations, all of which show older repeats of shows no longer on, or Disney shows.

Even still, I remember a time growing up when I had about 6 stations or more to choose from for Saturday morning cartoons, at least 3 or 4 for every morning/afterschool, in ADDITION to these channels (or at least YTV and Family Channel, Teletoon's only about 10 years old, and Teletoon-Retro is only about a year old.