all that money...(Wal-Mart rant)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jorod74, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I like their door greeters, they're my favorite

I like speaking to them in english accents (helleow)

2. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    I don't think any of the Wal-Mart's in Baltimroe have auto-checkouts. If they don't, I don't pay any attention to them.... (I can just imagine a line of people struggling with an Auto-Check out whilst I go about my business. LOL)

But yeah, I've noticed that the employees at Wal-Mart are less than civil and half the time are less than plesant when you interrupt them during a conversation in your time of need. For some reason in the Wal-Mart I go to, they feel the need to "hold" the items you requested (particularlly the DVDs) when they find them for you. And I'm thinking "why? I'm gonna steal it. There are alarms at the freakin' door, and cops. I'm not stupid, hombre." Its frustrating.

But the only thing that really peeves me off about all the Wal-Marts I go to, is the disaray in the CD section. No one bothers to separate the music in their respective genres at all (Classic/Alternative/Soft/Pop/Rock, Pure Pop, Rap/Hip-Hop/R&B, Golden Oldies, Contemplation CDs, Foriegn/Spanish, Dance/Techo, etc). The only thing they bother to separate, music wise, is the COUNTRY section. Its got its own little section any from everything else, nice and orderly, but they can't do that to the other Music Section. And all the SOUNDTRACK section is composed of is DISNEY related music and Friggin' MUSICALS! I hate it! Oh, and half the time they never have what I'm lookin' for. I have to go to RETAIL STORES, that have what I want, that want you pay the LIST PRICE of the CD. :thumbdown 

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Absolutely. And if someone complained about that here, I would understand their argument and viewpoint, and I would then respectfully disagree with them.

But I haven't seen that here--I've just seen people expecting to have their cake (low prices) and eat it too (a superb shopping experience).
    This whole post made me laugh. Do you think that the recounting of your in-store bravery sounds a little silly?
    This is a ridiculous and inaccurate generalization.

4. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Quoted for truth.

5. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Krogers also have $4 meds. Walmart should be the last place to go for that. You probably have to wait for women getting their pills, or trying to scheme for some.Some Walmart customers are some of the scariest people Ive ever seen.

I still go to Walgreens lol

6. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    The walmart near me is pretty decent. Only time I had a problem there, was with the warranty on a TV. Walmart said to take it to the manufacturer, but they said they had a deal with Walmart, and that walmart had to exchange it. In the end, I told the lady at the Customer Service Desk where to look in her computer to find the warranty details, and then everything was ok.

7. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think a lot of people are making a lot of accusations and standing on self created high pedestals. The general public runs a gambit of people from all ends of life, and Wal Mart attracts them all. Besides a few people who neglected reports otherwise and only focus on that one or a few bad things they read about, everyone I know goes to Wal Mart for one reason or another, and in fact does not feel guilty. I have met a number of great people working at Wal Mart as well as a number of people who get under my skin, but I have both good and bad experiences with them, just like anywhere else that is a general public store. I have also worked there when I was 16 for a short time, as did my Brother, and several friends I have. While we all put up with crap, it was nothing different then every other retail outlet I worked for BESIDES the fact that I had to deal with such a broad spectrum of customers. At least, unlike Gamestop or Blockbuster, my job wasn't constantly threatened if I didn't sell enough of a specific product by shoveling down every customers throats.

Oh well, I just wanted to say that. I know I'm not going to change anyones views or anything.

Oh, and I also want the Government to issue a law requiring all college grads to work at a retail store for at least 6 months before they can get a profession based job. I think it's an important life expereince everyone should know.

But, to stay very much on topic, like I said, I had bad shopping expereinces along with the good ones, and here is a bad one:

I wanted to get stamps so after getting some things I needed, I got in line... the line took forever, one of the cases where the person bought a million baby shirts wher it only actually looked like 1, and the cashier had a fun time scanning them and talking about them. But, I finally get to the register, and there is a sign that says "Stamps available at each register", so I say "Can I get a book of stamps?" And she says "sure" and scans a miscellanious bar code floating behind her that was apparently stamps. After she rings everything else up, and I pay, I ask "where are the stamps?" and she says "Oh, you have to go to the person at that podium to get them." She points at a podium, which of course, was empty. So, I said "there's nobody there", and she called on a phone that was floating somewhere in the vicinity of the stamps barcode and said something like "CSM need at front podium". So, I stroll over there. And wait. And wait.

Now, originally I planned to get the stamps elsewhere, but since I was here, I thought it would be faster. It wasn't. Anyways, I see an employee walking by, looking in general scared of her surroundings, and I said "Excuse me, I'm supposed to be waiting for someone, but it's been a while. Could you possibly call for someone?" And she reluctantly did.

I waited a while again until a disgruntled middle-aged woman came walking up, and said angirly at me "sorry there was an emergancy I had to take care of". I said, being a bit frustrated, "Why do you have signs that say stamps are available at every register?" She replied "they are" in a truly hatefull tone. I replied "well, if I knew I would NOT be able to get stamps at the register I was at, then I could have gotten them much faster at the next place I was going to. Those signs are extremely missleading." She replied, again hatefull "they mean you can purchase them at a register, and you always get them here. There was an emergancy and that's why I wasn't here." I said "Yes, they are missleading. Have a good day." I walked away as she had already handed me the stamps by now. If she just said simply "sorry" at any given point, or agreed with me even to be polite, it might not have been so aggrivating.

8. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just go in the garden department when I can... and always carry a tazer. Works for me.

In all honesty, I applied there twice, and after getting to the second interview, I called since I was just waiting for my orientation time, and got a rude response from them saying I "Wasn't wanted there anymore." Great HR department.

*shrugs* They do things on the cheap. That's why we go. That's also why we have to push heifers out of the way when we get to the toy isle when they are taking up the entire isle with their prodigious keisters.

9. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

I've never actually had a bad experience at WM to be honest sure there are obese people riding on those electric carts a lot but they never get in my way, actually only time someone gets in my way is usually a parent looking for a toy for their kid and sometimes i try and help em if i can, i even clean up the figure isle some if i have the time and someones gone and messed em up hehe.

Hell if i lived closer to it i'd prolly try and get a job there heh, better then nothing anyway.

10. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

I've learned to only go to walmart for a few grocery items but if we're shopping for a few weeks or the month we'll go to a grocery store. I only go for toys or to browse their discount psp games. I really dont have a problem with walmart or the people there but i've never had a confrontation with anyone.

Oh and the self check outs arent bad if you know how to use them

11. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A local WM used to have signs that said, 'All Registers open Saturday and Sunday 12PM to 6PM.' They never were. So, on one visit where I was particularly irritated but had a bit of time on my hands, I asked to see a manager, and questioned him about the sign. He said, 'Well, we had a couple of cashiers call off today.'
    I said, 'What about last Sunday?'
    'Probably the same thing.'
    'And all the other times.'
    'Sir, we know that someone always calls off.'
    'OK, then- so you know your sign is never going to be correct, right.'
    'Well...I mean...I suppose not.'

Two weekends after that, the signs were down. Ah, the power of one consumer with a voice.

12. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    all this talk of lousy customer service, wow, my local wally's has some awesome people, in the electronics dept. where I always pay for my TF purchases there works a guy with only one arm and another guy with some form of down syndrome and they check out my items fast and efficient, so if the non-handicapped folks can't do it right, well good luck!

13. salmonman78

salmonman78 That's MR. Magnus to you all...

Wal Mart horror:
    I remember when the movie line came out, my son saw optimash prime and he was stoked. I thought it was a couple days early but hey, cool. Went to the front and won't ring up, apparently it was recalled they couldn't sell it. I left with my crying son to a target(who by luck also had it out early and did sell it since they had it out, excellent customer service) called walmart back to razz em, manager said he couldn't control what they found asbestos in and hung up. I just laughed, of all the excuses.

14. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

So wait...I just wanna make sure I have this clear.

Wal-mart wouldn't sell you a toy because it was recalled--for which there must have been a reason, right? But Target would sell the toy despite the recall?

And Wal-Mart is the one with bad customer service? For losing a sale, presumably to protect you from whatever the toy was recalled for?

15. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

That sounds fun. I should try that some time.

16. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's a good point, but I am pretty sure the person you quoted was trying to point out Wal Mart didn't know that it was in no way recalled, and if it was, then it woudln't have been for asbestos. It was most likely an excuse that they made to not sell it to him becuase they made the mistake of putting something out early that wasn't in their system.

17. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Could be.

But there's an old saying--never attribute to maliciousness what can easily be explained by stupidity.

It seems likely the toy was put out there early, but that the cashier assumed it wouldn't ring up because of a recall--the whole lead paint thing last year. S/he was trying to do the right thing.

And then while the manager may have said asbestos, it seems reasonable to assume he was referring to lead.

So at the end of the day, their choices were made to protect the poster--their customer--even if they weren't perfect choices.

And again, I just don't understand all the hyperbole--in this case, the "Wal-mart horror."

18. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I only do business with the robo-tellers at Wal-Mart.

19. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    From what I got out of it, the Walmart put out a toy early and wouldn't sell it "because it was recalled." ie. they made up an excuse because they didn't know or didn't give a crap. He then went to Target who did not make up an excuse and sold him the toy.

20. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Ah Wal-Mart, American's consumer society at its finest. I honestly can't see how anyone can be surprised about the sham that is big business today. The decay of business and its relation to the consumer started long long ago, and will never get better until it has reached its lowest point...which hasn't happened yet, but hey thats our grand kids' problem so fuck it ya know. I love WM for all the evilness that it is cause frankly its quite funny to see people buying products thinking they're getting such a great deal. When in reality they're doing more harm to the economy in the long run than good and they're quite oblivious to this.

oh at my WM, they keep the self check lanes closed because of the massive amount of theft that occurs at them.