all that money...(Wal-Mart rant)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jorod74, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

I was happy when they added self-checkouts to our Walmart. They never opened more than 2-3 cashes and it's a "Super Walmart". Now I don't have to put up with cashiers that forget to deactivated the security strips on DVDs or wait behind someone with a full cart.

I used to work the night shift at a Walmart, and let's just say morale was extremely low. It might have had something to do with them asking people to work on Christmas Day..

2. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Wal-mart provides a service--cheap goods--and the price you pay for that as a consumer is customer service that is mediocre at best and the opportunity to shop alongside a certain breed of American.

You don't like, okay, don't go there. You don't ever have to--there are other stores. Yeah, they might be farther away or more expensive, but that's the price you pay.

It's just a business. It offers advantages to you if you want them. It's avoidable if you don't.

I just don't understand the whole "hate" and "nightmare" thing. I think some of y'all need to get some perspective.

3. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I've never really had problems with the employees - it's all just the customers. But I've had a lot of lulz concerning fellow shoppers throughout my Walmart years, so I guess it's give and take with the mouth breathing populus of Walmart.

4. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

Well, with the occasional exception, the Wal-Mart customers I see are usually relatively average so I don't have to worry too much about some of the things I've read here. The only time people in that store really get on my nerves is when they simply can't navigate; I'm attempting to walk in a straight line because I know exactly what I want and where I'm going but I have to deal with a slew of people walking around in circles constantly getting in my way.
    Meh, as much as I can sympathize with the others here who work in retail and hate their place of employment, I agree with squirrelcar. If it's that much of a problem for you to go there, then don't.

5. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You don't by chance own a blue vest with the words "May I Help YOU?" on the back, do you?

6. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

I work in the Electronics department at mine. Honestly, the customers aren't too bad.

7. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm a man, I don't shop, I get in, get mah shit, and get the hell out.
    Checking out at place likes the garden section and the jewelry counter is the best way to go, self checkouts are always effed one way or another.
    DN

8. Talathia

Talathia TFW's Cool Little Heathen

It's not just Wal-Mart. It's everywhere.
    God god.
    Now I remember why I never go shopping anymore.
    I just came back from a trip to the mall and wallHELL.

8( *hugs knees*

9. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

I love the Galleria in the next county, Gamestop, Suncoast and Hot Topic(almost ALWAYS see cute girls in there and almost always something good playing over the speakers) and Spencers Gifts(though their figure choices lack compared to Suncoasts, and i guess for those of you out there that like the sorta things they carry adult toys heh)

10. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    I hate Wally World and everything they stand for. I had never shopped there until they had the Ravage and Rumble Alt exclusives. The only time I have returned since was for MP SS. I felt dirty and disgusted with myself both times because I sold my soul to the devil over a few pieces of plastic crack. I hope I never set foot in China Mart again.

11. Talathia

Talathia TFW's Cool Little Heathen

The very flamboyant dude at the shoe store that helped me pick out boots was nice.
    It's just the SEA. OF. PEOPLE.
    I like looking at the stuff in all the stores listed above. As long as it's not massively crowded D8... Like it's nice to see the eye-candy but when there's darwin's choice awards walking around you it completely ruins the trip.

12. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

I don't mind shopping at walmart, then again the last person who hit with me a cart was kindly told that they could go fuck themselves with said cart until they could learn to maneuver it at the top of my lungs so that everyone in area could see what a dumbshit the old broad was. I'm also not afraid to tell the employees to get off their dead ass and do their jobs or tell them that their bullshit answers to my questions won't cut it as customer service to go and find the real answer, I'll wait...

13. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Well, I think the main idea people have for Walmart is that they have the misconception that they are very well organized; they're not, by any means. They probably think that the back is stacked nice and neatly and everything has its place. LOL! If only the general public could see the wackiness that is the Walmart stock room.

14. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

If only Walmart would get its collective heads our of it's arse and organize it's stockroom...

15. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Why? I thought it was pretty funny, if you realize that's the nonsense that was going on through the woman's mind at the time.

As for Wal-Mart? I shop there a lot. It's just a glorified Dollar Store, honestly. I never understood the hatred for it.

16. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    A person's strong dislike for Wal-Mart can come from any number of things. A number of people find Wal-Mart distasteful because of their shady business practices, lack of civic responsibility, and history of poor labor relations.

Squirrelcar is correct: you don't have to shop there, and I avoid it as much as possible. At the same time, however, I think that it's perfectly good and right to advocate against Wal-Mart or any organization that treats people poorly and does bad things.

17. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

At least people at your local Walmart speak English.

18. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

So basically ANY corporation....

19. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Hahah, maybe they should stick timers on the registers. At Target, you get in deep trouble for running a register slowly. XP

20. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When i worked there, we had a greeter at the Garden Center entrance with a speech impediment. so, you decide on that one.
    About my stick, yeah, it looks like a candy cane, but it ain't sweet. but i have been to towns where I could control traffic like a cop with just that stick. down here, you might as well be a mute at a Gwar concert...they ignore you.
    Most of the people i worked with are still there, toiling away and so i don't have problems with them. the managers are the ones not to deal with. They didn't care about you so much as reporting to the main boss before going home each morning and staying out of trouble. I used to work frozen alone for several nights at a time, and got reprimands for not finishing it all. sheesh.

do l like wal-mart? no. but here, we are almost held at gunpoint because it is the only store for lots of things nearby, and b/c we are a small town, everybody knows who works there and that community mentality keeps them in business.

I will say that all stores have their low points. At the army base here (Ft. Rucker) there are 2 kinds of shoppers at the PX/comissary: the ones trained like Airborne and the Brass Wives who think they own the store. I like the Airborne shoppers, they bail out of hueys, grab their shit and are out before the flash bangs have finished confusing you. The Brass Wives will clog an aisle and make you wait an hour while they decide on Skippy or Jiff. hate them.
    Wal-mart just has one kind of shopper: idiots, lol.
    (of course that isn't the case when YOU fellow TFW guys are there looking for a MP SS, you know...)