all that money...(Wal-Mart rant)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jorod74, Feb 29, 2008.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    and wal-mart can't seem to improve anything.

went to The Church of Sam to get my cheap ass 4 dollar meds and regretted both a) walking in there with my cane and b)not using my cane to bludgeon something.

after waiting over an hour for my prescription, had to wait an extra 20 minutes in line to pick it up and was run over not once, but twice by electric carts.
    the first was a 200 year old man who could not steer his cart. the other was a morbidly obese lady who tried talking on her cell, steering and asking people where the line ended simultaneously. my turn at the counter, i handed the clerk 2 different boxes of test strips for my meter ( i couldn't see the text on the box and asked her to help me make sure i got the right one) and she rang them both up- charging me almost 115 dollars for my medication and 2 sets of strips.
    because of this, i didn't check out there and went to the front.
    another lady with a regular cart ran into me and i stood there with my cane (red and white all over it) and i held it at eye level for her. She said i shouldn't be allowed to have sticks in a store.
    ...went to checkout and i grabbed a diet coke as i waiting in line. cashier had a lengthy conversation with the lady in front of me. even asked her for some lotion for her ashy skin. To top it off, she took the newspaper tha was on the conveyor and instead of scanning it, she opened it up and began reading it as she continued talking to the customer.
    5 people behind me waiting and she's taking a break there. i had it. "i think i can still read it to you faster," and i started folding my cane for her to see.
    she stopped reading the paper, but kept talking. finally she started ringing me up. I had my card scanned, and PIN-nned and was done long before she finished with my drink, test strips and one bottle of pills.

as much as i hate those DIY checkouts that wal-mart adores, i'd prefer dealing with HAL-9000 who never accepts what is in the bag as "bagged", than with cashiers that lazy or careless.

i used to work for Mr. Sam years ago. i know what customers are like and they can be stupid, but there still has to be a standard for employees, right?
    (i was written up once for telling a HamBeast on one of those power carts to defy gravity herself when she asked me to hand her salmon flavored cream cheese that was right next to her.)

really starting to not like shopping anymore....

2. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

And, it's the only store in town. At least, it is in my town.

I love the way they never open more than three to five registers at a time, and always man them with the slowest people. Last time I was in there, there were massive lines at all five open registers. They finally called over the PA for any associates (when did people stop being employees?) that could run the registers to report to the front of the store.

Nobody ever did answer that call....

I wish my wal-mart had automated check outs.

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Half your complaints are about customers, which Wal-Mart functionally has no control over.

And considering they're losing money on many of those $4 meds, it's not a shocker that many of their employees aren't paid enough to give a damn about things like customer service.

4. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    they are losing money with that. but they are invading so other areas that they will make up for it.
    like the proposed clinics they want to open inside their stores, for example.
    and the idea of having their own bank, for another.

the customers were bad, but the employees didn't help or seem to notice- the pharmacy clerk could have said something to the cart people.

and those automated checkouts aren't that great. just try to bag your own produce and then spend 15 minutes waving a CSM down to tell the machine to move on.
    or get behind my mom when she is DIY-ing it; she tries to cram 20 pounds of stuff into one bag and the sensors will argue with her.

the only time i ever saw a wal-mart with ALL their checkouts open was 2 weeks before fall semester in Tuscaloosa (university of alabama) when the whole county was school supply shopping, the university crowds were shopping and it was a madhouse. never saw it happen again since.

5. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was in a WM the other day, where the price for a 24-pack of Coke was $6.94. On top of that price sign was their 'Save Even More!' sign, and in the corner: 'Was $3.99.' I grabbed a nearby 'associate,' who finally saw what the stupidity of the sign.

And earlier on Abuse The Minimum Waged Day, a Taco Bell person managed to get my order wrong. I walked up to the counter with by open, slightly-eaten Crunchwrap Supreme, and the counter lady (after ignoring me the first time), says, "Is there something wrong with that?" I said, "Nope. Just felt like standing up here at the counter with half-eaten food while my family waits over there." The problem got fixed quite quickly after that.

6. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Any one remember the simpson episode where Mr. Burns has a Russian immigrant employee and tells him he'll get a shiny penny a day, then a Duck walks along pulling a drum of toxic waste???

Thats what comes to mind everytime I see Walmart and their employees.

7. rattrap23

rattrap23 Cossak

The wal-mart in my city moved out of the mall and into the middle of no whare outside the city.The first time i went there waqs to buy 10th anivarsary beast wars dinobot ,i ended up back of the line to this one lady who was buying the furnishings to a small apartment. Then to top it off i get to the check out ,the girl scans it and it isn't registerd.its on the shelf and it isn't registerd? well it ended up a 3min trip to pick up dinobot turned into 45min.I have no love for mal-mart.

8. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The self-checkouts at WM are great - you just need to know how to use them. Don't take anything through that doesn't have a UPC symbol, pay with cash, and you should have minimal problems. It's definitely not the line to go through with groceries and produce. They aren't perfect, but it's far batter than dealing with the slow-ass cashiers.

As for idiot customers - that's just WM for you. That lady that said you shouldn't be allowed to have "sticks" in the store is a prime example of what you will find.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  9. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

:lol  Should have taken a picture

10. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Ugh, Walmart sucks. After I graduated school last spring I ended up starting working there(as the area I live is kind of hit or miss as far as employment opportunities go), and I have to say it was the most aggravating, depressing, bull-shit jobs I've ever had, and I'm not even talking about dealing with customers(worked night shift so I didn't deal with too many). The managers(or most anyway) are so passive-agressive with shit, everyone who works there looks like they want to put a bullet to their head, I know I did. Also, with dealing with their workman's comp after I injured my knee at work, which sucks ass btw, I have no plans whatsoever going back, and I'm trying to get another job so I can call them up and tell them don't plan on me coming back, I'm better than them. Not like it would be a big deal, they're not paying me while I've been on LOA since the end of December. Now, I try to not shop there unless I have to. I'd rather go to Target or whatever. To hell with Walmart, I say.

/rant over

11. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

The self-checkouts are a nightmare, because you always get either the idiots who bring a month's worth of groceries or a person who simply can't figure the machine out. There was a girl in front of me the other day who got an error message, and she stood there for about three minutes, not moving, just staring with her mouth slightly open. I'm not kidding. An associate finally showed up and helped her, but damn. Honestly! Or the mom with like 5 kids trying to scan her produce in the self checkout, and she has like an entire garden of fruits and vegetables, so it takes about 20 minutes for an associate to show up and enter in every piece of fruit the broad bought. It's frustrating. If you have lots of groceries, go to a cashier. It's common sense. Most people have 1-10 items that go through the checkout, so it kind of ruins the idea of a speedy self-checkout area.

Also, try working there. I did for a few months, and it was driving me insane. There are some genuinely nice people working there, but then there are also some weirdos. There was a kid who was stalking me during my shift, and it made me really uncomfortable. It was one of the reasons I quit, too. Then you have the customers that think you have the magical powers to do anything, and then get frustrated when you don't get them what they want. My favorite line - "Can you check the back?" Now, I don't know if most people know, but the "back" is a plethora of stocking associates and merchandise boxes. Stacks and stacks of merchandise boxes. I can't just rip through mountains of boxes to find the dish set you want. First off, it would take forever. Second off, the stocking associates glare at you. "The back" isn't a land of magical restocking goodness. :( 

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  12. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

I only have WM atm, a Target is almost ready to open(i really doubt they are any better though, i've been one target and it seemed just like WM except everything was in different places hehehe) i'll prolly go to target a few times(they are gonna have an exclusive red and silver movie Iron Man figure after all) but yeah i doubt it'll be much different, theres always gonna be stupid people shopping, doesn't matter where ya go really.

And yeah, wish my WM had the do it your self checkouts, the one in the county does and i liked em*sigh* maybe Target will have em hehe.

13. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The do it yourself checkouts are ******ed half the time.

A: because some people still can't figure out how the hell to scan an item, and put it in a bag, yet we've had them in all sorts of stores for quite a while now

B: because half the time at walmart they aren't working anyway(which only seems to be a problem at walmart, not any other store on a regular basis)

C: half the time you try to buy a rated R movie the red light goes off and you need to wait for someone to come over and scan their badge(can take 5-10 minutes)

D: someone started scanning crap and then walked off so you need to wait 5-10 minutes for a walmart employee to come over and void the items that aren't yours

E: the little thing to desensitize the security tags doesn't work half the time so you get stopped walking out the door because you bought a pack of disposable razor blades

It's better than dealing with the braindead mutant employees, but it doesn't always work to your advantage. The funny thing about walmart is, I never knew that many braindead idiots were in my area to be employees and customers at walmart till they started building walmarts here. I already can't wait till summer when half the parking lot is full of RV's for whatever damn reason(never happened at any other store here before, wtf).

14. kasper0v

kasper0v Well-Known Member

You walk around with a giant candy cane? I can understand why that lady was pissed--those things don't belong anywhere outside of Christmas season. Also, I missed the part where this has something to do with Transformers.

15. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

Er...'General Discussion' is the title of this section...and also under the heading of 'Non-Transformers'...:rolleyes2 

16. Talathia

Talathia TFW's Cool Little Heathen

Oh good god XD XD XD <3.

Walmart sucks. Just hell I hate shopping in general. People are freaking clueless.

17. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    That is funny! The nerve of you bringing a stick into the store.

This is my biggest complaint about Wallyworld... the people it attracts. Most of them have no concept of common courtesy. That is why I try to go off hours to minimize my exposure.

The self checkouts are hit and miss. As long as you do not take longer than 0.000005 of a sec to get the item into the bag, you are fine. Otherwise... "Please wait for customer assistance."

18. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

When I first started reading the story I thought you were blind....and then I was like "Wait a minute....".

You're not a blind person, are you?

19. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    A red-and-white walking stick is a tool used by the visually-impaired. I hope you were joking when you said this.

Anyway, I almost never shop at Wal-Mart. The town I live in was one of the first to block Wal-Mart, in fact. I never use automated checkout, either. I hate the damn things - they never work right. Besides, I figure that those things are taking jobs away from people. My brother has worked for Wal-Mart for years - as much as I dislike Wal-Mart, I'm not going to take it out on the employees. They have enough problems as it is. I'm not saying to give goofballs a free pass, mind you....

20. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I HATE going to Wal-Mart usually and I never go in through the front door if I have a choice. I usually go in through the garden center, and check out there, as it is less crowded and closer to the toys.

BUT, I remember one "funny" incident at Wal-Mart awhile back. I was in the store somewhere in toys or electronics but away from the Pharmacy. Soon, there was a young nervous voice over the PA asking for security. Again, a minute later but more anxious. Finally a third time, and she sounded like she was almost in tears and crying. Either someone was being a belligerent a-hole, or there was a medical emergency.

Now, the Wal-Mart on the FAR Northwest side of town where I go with friends has those self-check aisles but half of them are usually broken or not open.