All Star Wars discussion thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hotshotprime43, Aug 4, 2012.

?

FAVORITE STAR WARS MOVIE?

1. A New Hope

12 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Empire Strikes Back

55 vote(s)
    57.3%
  3. Return of the Jedi

9 vote(s)
    9.4%
  4. Phantom Menace

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  5. Attack of the Clones

4 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. Revenge of the Sith

11 vote(s)
    11.5%
  7. The Clone Wars (2008)

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  8. I've never seen a Star Wars movie!!

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

Star Wars is one of the greatest film series of all time. The original three are great classic movies that are some of my favorite movies ever. While the prequels are not exactly great but are still solid movies in there own. While i enjoyed The clone Wars movie as well.

Anyways this is to discuss all things Star Wars (Mostly the movies) Such as your favorite Star Wars movie, character, and if you like the prequels.

My favorite Character: Luke Skywalker

Favorite movie: Empire Strikes Back, A New Hope, then Return of the Jedi.

Do i like the prequels: Yes

2. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    Empires my favorite. Then Jedi, Clonewars, Hope, RoTS, AoTC, then PM.

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    New Hope is my favorite. Or as we used to call it back in the day, "Star Wars."

Empire is runner-up for me, and then it drops off pretty sharply. I like all six of them, and the Clone Wars tv show, but the original is my favorite.

4. Hotshotprime43

Best to least favorite.

Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    Return of the Jedi
    Revenge of the Sith
    Attack of the clones
    Phantom Menace
    Clone Wars

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I think, out of the prequels, I like Phantom Menace the best. Just kind of mentally erasing the Jar Jar parts. And Phantom Menace is the only one of the six, other than New Hope, that works as a stand alone movie.

Back when the first movie came out and it was the only one, and we didn't know more Star Wars movies were coming, it still worked. If no sequels ever appeared, New Hope would still have worked as a complete story unto itself. And you can almost say the same thing about Phantom Menace. But the other 4 movies are all just pieces of something larger. None of them could make sense standing on their own without the other movies around them. Even Empire, which is widely considered the best of the series, is just a bridge between two other movies.

And favorite character? When I was a kid, it was Han. No question. But now, it's either Luke or (old) Ben.

6. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    Return of the Jedi. It has some any great things that make it my favorite. I think it primarily has to do with the ending it feels like it is just the end of a long difficult journey that has gone through tragedy through tragedy. That and the end music is absolutely beautiful. It is one of the few musical pieces that I really connect to emotionally. I'm not talking about the yub-yub song either.

As for favorite character, mine is without a doubt Han Solo. Boba would probably be second though.

7. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Empire Strikes Back with Return of the Jedi being a very close 2nd.

Those are the only two I've probably watched a 100 times, not kidding.

Well...they have been out for a very long time. :lol 

8. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I'd rank them as this from my favorite to least favorite:
    1.The Empire Strikes Back- It does a great job of developing the characters we were introduced to in the first movie further, it expands the universe nicely, it has many iconic scenes and quotes, and I think it had the best plot.

2. Revenge of the Sith- This is probably my controversial pick. I personally loved almost everything about it. The film was structured like a Greek tragedy and I liked seeing it tie into A New Hope. Many people like to critique the acting, but I think it improved quite a bit in this one. At the time, that final battle on Mustafar just blew my mind.

3. A New Hope- This movie uses the usual fantasy movie plot and it does it in the best way possible. There are many iconic scenes and memorable characters in this movie. Plus, without this movie, we wouldn't just not have Star Wars, but we probably also wouldn't have gotten Alien, Tron, a Star Trek movie, etc. It has forever changed cinema.

4. Return of the Jedi- I think it had a great ending and the early scenes with Jabba were awesome.

5. The Phantom Menace- I do like this movie. It was the first Star Wars movie I had ever watched and I thought that there were some neat Shakespearian elements to it. Plus, it has the pod-racing scene, Liam Neeson, and Darth Maul.

6. Attack of the Clones- I admit that I also like this movie. Yes, the romance was a bit cheesy, but I really liked the last hour of the film and I thought Jango Fett was badass.

7. The Clone Wars- I don't think the plot of this movie was strong enough to be a movie. It should have been aired on television as the pilot episode of the TV series as it was originally intended to be. I do enjoy it and I think the voice actors and action are great. Even though, this is my least favorite Star Wars movie (other than that Holiday Special) I still liked it for what it was. Lately however, I
    think the the show has gotten really really good and if I had to rank it with these, I would probably
    put it above Phantom Menace or it would be tied with it.

My favorite Star Wars characters are Obi Wan, Qui-Gon, Boba Fett (mostly because of his EU stuff), and Han Solo.

9. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    The question asked - "which is your favorite" - has a different answer from "which is the best" for me. My favorite, believe it or not, is Attack of the Clones. I consider the best to be Empire Strikes Back.

My favorite characters are Obi-Wan, Padme, Mace, Anakin/Vader, and Han.

10. Crossfire-034

Crossfire-034 Insensitive jerk

My personal top three are Return of the Jedi, The Phantom Menace, and Revenge of the Sith. Ep I was the first Star Wars movie I saw in a theater, so it has some sentimental value (also, Qui-Gon and Darth Maul- arguably two of the coolest characters in the movies). I like Ep III because I like it. I thought it was an enjoyable movie, screw the haters. :lol 

As far as characters go, well, most of them belong to media outside of the films. If I had to pick one from the movies, I'd probably go with Boba Fett. 'Cause Mandalorians are awesome.

11. Primus5289

Primus5289 Well-Known Member

My favorite character is Starkiller from The Force Unleashed I and II and Vader.
    My favorite movie is Empire Strikes Back.
    And I enjoy Clone Wars a good bit but still think the Samurai Jack style version is 10x better.
    Ranked from favorite to least (I like them all though):
    Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi
    Revenge of the Sith
    A New Hope
    The Phantom Menace
    Attack of the Clones
    Now I'm waiting for a Force Unleashed movie.

12. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1. Empire
    2. Jedi
    3. A New Hope

I try to ignore the existence of the prequels but I'll rate them too

4. Ep III
    5. Ep I
    6. Ep II

13. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    1. ESB
    2. ANH
    3. ROTJ
    4. ROTS
    5. AOTC
    6. TPM

All the other stuff is alright.

14. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. Return of the Jedi
    3. A New Hope
    4. Revenge of the Sith
    5. Attack of the Clones
    6. The Phantom Menace

15. bearweezie

bearweezie Well-Known Member

Favorite character: Yoda

Favorite movie: Tie between Empire and Sith

Do I like the prequels: Yes

If you could change one thing about each movie, what would you change?

Episode 1: Jar Jar, don’t have him in the movie at all.

Episode 2: Killing off Jango Fett, let him fly away when Mace is running towards him to chop his head off. Jango could then lead the Jedi purge in Episode 3 before getting killed by Obi or Yoda.

Episode 3: Yoda losing to Sideous, make him lose to Sideous and Vader at the same time while Obi Wan is taking the twins to Tattoine and Alderan. Have Yoda getting the upper hand against Sideous in a one on one battle and then Vader shows up to even the odds.

Episode 4: Nothing.

Episode 5: Nothing.

Episode 6: Ewoks defeating storm troopers, you could still have Ewoks in the movie, but just have Han and Lea do a stealthy covert mission to shut down the shield generator. No need for a corny unrealistic battle.

P.S. They really didn’t do Yoda any justice in the prequels, he’s maybe the greatest Jedi ever and he fought to a stalemate with Darth Tyranus and lost to Darth Sideous. Mace beat Sideous and Anakin beat Tyranus so it really made Yoda look weak. I understand that Anakin has the potential to be the greatest Jedi ever, but he never reached that potential.

16. jazzbot180

jazzbot180 Dino-Bot

ROTJ is my favorite by far.

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    1. Esb
    2. Rots
    3. Rotj
    4. Anh
    5. Aotc
    6. Tpm

18. Hotshotprime43

When it comes to the changes with the special edition and Blue rays the changes that bother me are

Greedo shots first
    The emperor in Empire Strikes back because the Dialogue is screwed up
    NOOOOOOO
    The dance scene in RoTJ

Changes that don't matter-
    Jabba in ANH
    Anakin as a ghost

Changes for the better
    The CGI X Wings at the end of ANH
    Show the other planets at the end of RoTJ

19. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    After all of these years I still think Episode V is the best SW movie. It had a great script and storyline and it's pacing was top knotch. It also introduced characters like Boba Fett and Yoda (the prequels don't count in that area). I think one of the reasons it's so good is because Lucas didn't direct it. I generally prefer the original version too.

My ratings system.

1. V
    2.IV
    3.III (It took 18 years to complete the Deathstar? Anakin was not a tragic fallen hero and he deserved what he got.)
    4.VI (The Ewoks hurt it badly)
    5. II (terrible and forced love scenes and dialogue, large plotholes).
    6. I (bad
    pacing, storyline, Jar, Jar and young Anakin were painful to watch. Lucas at his worst imo.)

20. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I think the biggest problem with Episodes I-III (I hate calling them prequels) - aside from the writing and direction - is the lack of a proper primary villain. In IV-VI, Vader (and the Emperor to a lesser extent) was the face of the Empire. By carrying the same villains through three films, you create a cohesiveness that you just don't get by having separate villains.

With Episodes I-III, you had Maul, Dooku/Tyrannus, Grievous and Anakin as the major villains, with Sidious in the background. Having new major villains in every movie came off more as "flavors of the month" than proper villains. Plus, there was a major push behind Maul, which turned out to be for nothing since he was so easily defeated (at least until the last couple of episodes of The Clone Wars). I think the better approach would have been to have him survive and be revealed to be Grievous. That would have given his conflict with Obi-Wan more emotional resonance, as we saw recently in TCW. As it stands, having Grievous just appear in RotS feels forced. Where was he during the last two movies? How much cooler would the Battle of Naboo have been if he were on the front lines leading the droid army or if he debuted at the Battle of Geonosis?

I also think it was a major mistake introducing Anakin as such a young kid. Bringing him in older, preferably closer to Luke's age in ANH, brings their mirrored journeys even closer together, makes for a more interesting character dynamic in TPM, especially if he doesn't get along with Obi-Wan right away, and also makes the romance with Padme more believable in AotC.

I also think there's a major conflict with Yoda. He gets so much credit as a wise and inspirational leader, yet it's his policies with the Jedi Council that you can cite as directly responsible for Anakin's fall. After leaving his mother behind, all the kid wanted was to find another wing to be under. Had Yoda and Windu just given him a little TLC, things would have turned out differently. I'm not saying he wouldn't have become Vader, but his turn could have been more about a quest for power than wanting to save his wife's life or being in need of a father figure.

I also think Luke gets a bad rap. He was whiny in ANH and a couple of times in TESB, but once he started his training, he cut that out and grew up to be the confident Jedi Knight we saw in RotJ. I think he's the best character in the Saga.