All Star Goddamn Batman #5 *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Primal, May 17, 2007.

1. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    So, who else picked this up?

We're 5 issues now in and Jim Lees art is still amazing but the story.... not so much. Granted I don't read much Wonder Woman comics but her portrayal was really quiet different from what I've seen of her (from the cartoons and crossovers into other titles). Whatever I guess, she's leaving things to Superman, GL, and Pas to handle so I don't think we'll see her again for a while. It was also weird how Superman (having a tantrum?) and Jordan (fetching WW coat when ordered) were shown too.

What does everyone else think of the issue? Also who wants to predict when the next issue comes out? :p  I'll say... 2008 lol

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I flipped through it.

Remember, kids, women get really horny if you treat them like crap and beat other men to a bloody pulp in front of them!

I really hate Frank Miller. :banghead: 

3. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, it finally came out?!?!? I never thought I'd see the day.

4. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

5 issues, 2 years and it STILL doesn't feel like anything has really happened.

I can tell Miller is doing the crazy characterization on purpose, taking each hero to the absolute extreme of their personalities: Batman is so dark and brooding he's a raving lunatic, Wonder Woman is such a feminist she wants to kill every man on Earth save the one that can beat her up, Superman is such a milquetoast farmboy he lets everyone push him around, Hal is so useless and boring his only function is as a fancy coathanger, etc.

Anyway, I think that was Selina Kyle introduced in this issue. I dunno if Miller has all sorts of crazy plans for these characters he keeps (re)introducing to the audience (he spent a whole freakin' issue on Black Canary who hasn't been seen since), but I have a feeling the book isn't going to last long enough for us to find out what he's going to do with them.

The art's damn purdy, though.

5. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

See I dunno if that's Selina. If we're going by how Miller considers all his Batman work placed in one universe (at least, in a vaguely cohesive way) Selina would've already been Catwoman (as of Year One, and Miller considers All-Star Bats the "Year Two" of his Bat-universe).

My guess? It might be upcoming character The Goddamn Batgirl.

And speaking of nicknames, now that we got The Goddamn Batman and That Clown From Metropolis, Miller's Wonder Woman should be referred to as Sperm Bank Hater.

6. The Spider

At the same time as Ultimates 2 #13, even. Maybe that means Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk will be out the same time as some other long, long, long delayed DC comics.

7. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I finally figured out what Frank is doing to Batman. He decided to see what Tony Stark would do as batman rather than inside a suit of armor. Who else is rich and actually has fun being a hero with no powers? Tony. I mean, he goes to beat up some rapists while laughing. So either Tony Stark is in that suit or Batman got hammered at the circus.

What's funny, the reason I don't give up on this book is because it comes out so infrequently that I don't consider it an expense. It's not worth giving up because it's so rare.

And why doesn't All Star Superman get a bad rap on timeliness? It's been out just as long and only has 2 more issues out.

8. The Spider

That is a good theory but I still think this is consistant with the way he's been writing Batman since SPAWN/BATMAN, and yeah, it's not too much to worry about if it comes out infrequently.

You think it doesn't? I've seen discussions where people consider the All-Star line (as a whole) the All-Late line. The joke was still going on when Adam Hughes was announced to be writing and drawing All Star Wonder Woman.

But there's two reasons why it doesn't get as bad a rap as All Star Batman--for starters All Star Supes' stories are mostly self-contained despite the connecting storyline. All Star Batman is stretched out pacing in which Batman and Robin are in the car for most of #2, 3, and part of #4... in a span of 9 months.

The other reason is that most people already know that Jim Lee CAN get a book published mostly on time with the right lead time ("Hush" and "For Tomorrow") and back when the All-Star line announced, LOTS of people believed that All Star Superman would be the most delayed of the two, because Quitely's a slower artist than Lee.

The fact that All Star Supes managed to get three issues (before #5 finally was out this week) ahead of All Star Bats--depite starting four months AFTER All Star Bats' release--is what surprised people.

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I daresay people also don't mind as much because All-Star Superman is actually worth the wait.

10. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I dropped AS Batman with issue 1. For whatever reason, Miller completely lost the character. After TDKR was a success, there were a legion of lesser writers who thought it was all about the dark and grim, and completely missed the humor, intelligence and even sentiment in that seminal work. With ASBats, Miller has become as bad as those who tried to copy him.

11. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

not only that, but theres a huge difference between being a month or two late, and being 5 months late.

12. The Spider

Yeah. Although they're both on sporadic schedules.

All Star Supes' first three issues were decidely bimonthly and then #4 came out a month late (June instead of May). Then #5 was out in September. #6 wasn't out until January this year, but #7 managed to be out two months later.

All Star Bats' first issue was out in July, second issue was out two months later (which is fine), then the third issue was out in December, the fourth issue was out 5 months later, and the recent one's out about one year later.

I think it's pretty likely they might get All Star Batman back on track; it's possible they finally decided to wait until Jim Lee got at least two issues done before they solicited it yet again, but I wouldn't completely bet on it.

13. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Not a fan of Batman (or any if his titles)...but i only buy thing title cause Jim Lee draws it (same goes for Batman...but i must say, i like this Batman.

14. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I rode the lollercoaster from start to finish.

"I love being the goddamn Batman"

:lolol 

I think ole Franky baby is having a good laugh at a lot of peoples expense. If anything this issue has convinced me to keep buying it.

15. JohnnyWuFei

JohnnyWuFei ...where do we go now?

Eff All Star Batman... where's my damn WildC.A.T.s #2 at?

16. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

It actually debuted five or six months later than ASB&R. And when it did hit, it was worth reading. It was generally loved by everyone who knows good comics from bad without needing the writer's motivation explained to enjoy the work.

It also won an Eisner for Best New Series.

17. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Frank Miller NEVER understood Batman.

Although if you put Year One, All Star and Dark Knight Returns together as a trilogy, it's the same character.

It's just not Batman.

18. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

It is Batman, just like the 60s TV show and the neon-deco 90s movies were Batman. It's just not the same take as the O'Neil/Dini style Batman from the comics & 90s cartoons.

Batman is a lot like King Arthur or Robin Hood. You can reinterpret the character into whatever story you want to tell and it can still work.

19. ABH1979

ABH1979 Blue Boba Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    I can agree with this statement, but as I've said over at the 'Rama, the book should just be called "Frank Miller's Batman," or "The Goddamn Batman." This is Not All-Star Batman. Pull Lee and Miller of the project and give it to O'neil and Adams, and you've got yourself some All-Star Bats.