All Star Batman and Robin

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by tikgnat, Jan 24, 2007.

1. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So I missed this the first time around and they're reprinting it for the UK market in normal newsagents, so I'm wondering, what did/do people think?

Personally, I'm not finding Jim Lee's art as good as on Hush and Frank Miller writes Batman as a raving psycho... a much more demented Dark Knight Returns (or a younger DK2).

Either way ifs its meant to be a Marvelesque Ultimatisation... it not working.

Thoughts?

2. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

Ebay:
    I've been wondering if it's been cancelled or something. How many months is it since we saw the last issue? By my off-hand memories, it must nearly be 5 or 6 months almost.

I don't mind the art, I don't mind the take on Batman, what I do mind is the story dragging out some short periods of time and then skipping the story around like crazy. It doesn't work for me in that sense.

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

It's bollocks.

Funny, but bollocks.

4. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    "I'm the goddamn batman"

other then that, im dissapointed. and yeah, the delays are absolutely killing it. from what ive heard, its an issue with the art. but if this book died too, i wouldnt be too sad...and i dont know if its supposed to be like marvels ultimate books, i think its just a different batman book to have on shelves...

5. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

the problem is with Jim Lee...he even said it was his fault.

Just like Quesda, being one of the big dawg of a company takes over art duties...Wildcats is also taking a hit.

6. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's total shit. Either Frank Miller is consciously going over the top to mock his style from Sin City, or he's legitimately lost his mind. Given that there's an entire issue devoted to looking at Black Canary's ass while people yell "Sweet chunks!", I'm leaning towards the latter.

7. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Black Canarys ass? I'm so there!

But yeah, its a very weird series... 2 issues in and I can't deceide if I like it or not... flying Batmobile? Hmm.

What doesn't help is its in a book with 3 different Batman stories, and 2 of them, All Star and Son of Batman (or something like that) aren't canon and confused me, so I can't imagine the confusion some kids gonna get when he reads it.

8. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

Son of Batman is currently canon (because of Superboy-Prime's punching). All-Star Batman isn't canon with the main continuity but it is probably canon (to Miller) with Year One; Holy Terror, Batman! (the upcoming one by Miller where Batman fights Al-Qaeda); Spawn/Batman; Dark Knight Returns; and DK2.

As for the flying Batmobile it's not like Batman doesn't have weird-ass vehicles to begin with. Hell, in DK2 he had a jet that looked like the 50's Batmobile so All-Star Bats is pretty consistant with it.

9. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

the book was interesting but I lost interest as i couldn't get the book. Can lee just focus on wildcats please?

10. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

Mmm. And I'm not exactly prudish, but it probably hasn't gone down well with parents.

11. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    My thoughts exactly - everything about the book (from Miller's rhetoric in the narration to Batman's behavior to even the designs and actions of some of the characters) is more Sin City than it is Dark Knight. The art is nice enough, but the scripting just feels really cheap...All-Star B&R really lacks the updated-old-school charm that All-Star Superman CONSISTENTLY delivers in a timely manner (on the scale of one every 2.5 months or so).

I'm pretty sure it's actually been almost 9 months since the last issue came out, and at this rate, I'm just going to drop the title if any more issues come out. The delays are unacceptable, and I don't enjoy Miller's scripting (which feels like a rip-off of Sin City). Hell, at least Ultimates 2 can deliver a fairly interesting, fun story despite being a semi-annual book.

12. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    I actually think both All Star books are crap. Superman is just boring, I don't care what awards it won. And Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder is just so late that i don't care. It's like Lee and Hitch are having a time lapse competition. Miller is insane which is what makes the book fun. It can't be cannon as much as Superman can't with Jonathan Kent dying. It's probably an elseworlds story but DC just can't decide.

Another in the long line of mistakes DC has made recently.

13. The Spider

I think it's generally assumed that each of the All-Star books will be their own self-contained continuity (Geoff Johns indicated this when All-Star Batgirl was announced--so it's assumed All-Star Bats is not connected with All-Star Supes and is not connected with the upcoming Adam Hughes All-Star Wonder Woman).

Also, things like DK2 and I think BATMAN YEAR 100 didn't carry the Elseworlds logo so it's not like the All-Star line needs it in order to indicate it's a seperate continuity.

14. The Spider

It probably didn't, but there's not really that big an outcry or anything (probably because the delays kept it from getting much attention anyway).

15. Primal

Primal Veteran

News Credits:
    Here are the shipping dates for the past issues.

05/17/2006 - All Star Batman & Robin #4
    12/29/2005 - All Star Batman & Robin #3
    12/07/2005 - All Star Batman & Robin #1 Special Edition
    09/14/2005 - All Star Batman & Robin #2
    07/13/2005 - All Star Batman & Robin #1

All Star Batman & Robin #5 is expected 04/04/2007

16. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Superman running across the Atlantic carrying the car over his head made me larf.

17. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

I will never listen to your opinion on comics again. Next thing, you'll be mocking Eisner and Kirby. :tsk :tsk For shame. Shame!!!

18. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

I read an issue or two and thought it sucked.

No question Miller has always written Bats a bit unhinged, and a warrior in the battle against scum, but here he just seems to go overboard. He sees Dick Grayson almost immediately as a tool to use, a recruit in his war. That just pissed me off.

In Y1, Bats was dedicated, a little nuts and ruthless in combat, but he wasn't a giant psychopathic dick. He was even more nuts in TDK, but the point of that was that he went loopy after keeping the Bat bottled up for 10 years. But even in TDK Bruce Wayne is a hell of a lot more decent a human being than the one I saw in All Star.

After this and The Dark Knight Strike Again, I have to say that Miller's just not what he once was, at least not with this character.

19. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

Hang on, I missed this first time through... they're what?

Still, hopefully it'll mean the Batgirl title will follow. Quite keen to check that one out.

20. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    In the big WHsmiths they have a few american reprints (usually around the Sci Fi magazine section.

I've been picking up the FF book regularly, seeing as I never got into them at my import store and Avengers when it has stories I've not already picked up. The new Batman title is all new to me, hence my pickup.

Son of Batman is canon? So does that mean that Son of the Demon is canon as well now? Superboy hitting things makes my head hurt.