All of Life’s Ingredients Found in Orion Nebula

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark_Convoy, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

2. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Awesome! My hopes of alien-lifeforms, sentient or not, existing grow more and more. What a day in human history it will be when we come across another alien life form. Just hoping it doesn't end up like what happened in The Andromeda Strain lol.

Definitely bringing this to my Astronomy Class tomorrow.

3. foxfan352

foxfan352 Well-Known Member

Funny that the image is 1300 years old since it is 1300 LY away

So if we sent a radio signal that they can read it would take about 1300 to reach and 1300 years to come so finding aliens might take awhile lol

4. darkmgmstr

darkmgmstr Blue Lantern Corps Member

Nice! About time we see some aliens :D 

5. Tyrannosaur

Crap forgot about that. C=3.0X10^5 km/sec

What the hell is taking the human race so long to advance?

6. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Distance.

People have so little comprehension of the sheer hugeitude of space.

Let's look at what we found out here. We find the chemicals we find in life here at a distance that takes light 1300 years to travel.

There's so little actual clumps of matter we can use or explore out there compared to what we incorrectly term "vacuum". There are no stops, no places to refuel, once we leave the solar system we better be totally self-sufficient for years or there's no hope.

Look at it this way, even jogging over to Alpha Centauri, which has 3 potential stars with worlds around them, takes light over 4 years to make the trip. At 1/10C that's 40 years just to get there. A round trip is effectively impossible for any human to survive.

Even moving at near C, we're screwed in terms of distance and time. If we cannot eventually figure out a way to "cheat" around the lightspeed limit on matter (and a few theoretical propulsion ideas are being floated) we are stuck in Sol system forever unless we wanna gamble on flinging generation or sleepships out and hoping for the best.

- Coeloptera

7. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

will they just talk to us already?!

8. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Its not surprising really. Its crazy to think we are alone. Space is HUGE.

9. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    I can only hope that if we end up finding anything, they turn out to be hostel.
    Xenomorphs preferably.

Oh c'mon, you KNOW you want it to happen.

10. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    "The greatest possible sign of other intelligent life in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

-Bill Watterson.

11. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Well, we're really just babies at this point and have only been in existence for a miniscule fraction of geological time. That said, if you look back over the past 100 years or so, it seems we're actually advancing fairly rapidly.

If you extend human qualities to intelligent extraterrestrial life, then a hostile encounter is a always a possibility. Hawking made a passing remark to that effect, saying that extraterrestrial life meeting human civilization could be analogous to Columbus and his rather disastrous encounter with natives. (From their viewpoint, at least.) Looking at humanity's deplorable treatment of other life (both human and non-human) on Earth, it definitely doesn't make me very comfortable about meeting extraterrestrial intelligence from another planet.

12. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

you know what we can really use? TFA space bridges

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Saying that just finding these ingredients is an indication of life, especially in something as large as a nebula, with unstated concentrations, is like saying that a campfire is an indication of finding a finely crafted diamond necklace, because the trace ingredients are found to be present. Those chemicals would have to come together in the exact right way for life to exist at all, let alone in a form we coul recognize.

Furthermore, there's plenty of other peaks in the spectrum of that nebula, meaning there's a ton of other "ingredients" in the mix, many of which would likely hinder the appearance of life.

Also, nebulae are pretty much known for having high levels of ionized hydrogen and various types of radiation. Not the best conditions for life to thrive in.

This is a pretty short article, so maybe there's more to it than what's been written, but I don't think what's here proves things one way or another at all. Pretty amazing they can use emissive spectroscopy so precisely on something that far away though..

14. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I want a f**king spacesuit. With jetpacks, unlimited food & water generators & unlimited oxygen.

15. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Humans.

Also, this entire universe can be a particle of dust stuck in the foot of a giant, so why bother?

16. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Earth may be just what you're looking for, though the unlimited part has a few catches.

17. Tyrannosaur

It is possible for organisms to adapt to high levels of radiation. Cockroaches for example can survive extreme levels of radiation.

Alien life could evolve differently than Earth's organisms. One can wonder...

18. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    True, cockroaches and most chitinous invertibrates can survive relatively high levels of radiation, but its not like they're impervious to it. Simpler lifeforms, especially single-celled ones, are not nearly as resistant to the same bands of radiation, and unfortunately, as we understand it, that's how life starts out. Earth's atmosphere filters out tons of radiation, so its possible that if there was a planet in a nebula with similar shielding, that it could serve as a sort of safe haven, but then we're right back to the other two points I mentioned.

Its entirely possible life, even intelligent life, could evolve in a completely different and counterintuitive manner from us, but we've still seen no evidence for it at this point.

19. Tyrannosaur

True and true.

Do you think it's possible that a lifeform could exist as a different element? Take for example every organism on the planet Earth. We're all carbon-based life forms. What if, somehow, a lifeform evolved from a different element?

I got the idea from that SciFi Comedy Evolution. Just out of curiousity. This stuff is very interesting :D 

20. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    I hope I will be alive when we contact the aliens.