All hail perceptor

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Lord Ramulus, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Lord Ramulus

Lord Ramulus Well-Known Member

Did anyone else find Perceptor in All Hail Megatron to be one of the most badass makeovers for a character? Kup was also a total badass...and Drift...

2. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I hate Drift, he's just the generic "oh look I'm a badass" in every fan comic with some sort of sword. Roadbuster, now THAT'S a badass.

3. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Nope. I found it to be a rather less than effective attempt to "badassify" a character that neither required it, nor was it done in a fashion that was anything less than wholly cliche'.

They could have made Perceptor effective in combat using his natural precision and skill without needing to make him a taciturn, one-liner spouting character bereft of the aspects of his personality that actually made him engaging and interesting before.

- Coeloptera

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Coeloptera just nailed it

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Yeah, it felt like something forced that a fanfic writer would do.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Agreed.

7. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Yeah, Perceptor as a sniper was pretty dumb. Wasn't a big fan of that.

8. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    considering that the goal of preceptor was to popularise the idea that being smart is cool and can be just as big a part in being a hero as being strong I dont think making him a crack shot was a good move

9. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I agree. I hated Perceptor's change in the comics, especially when sniper = backflip while shooting two guns out to your sides in some Matrix rip-off.

10. tehKOREANdude

tehKOREANdude inimitable, original

News Credits:
    it would've been a fun twist to make perceptor apply his intelligence in a better, more subtle way. For lack of a better example, Sherlock Holmes is quite a genius, but not at all a dork. Quite the contrary, Holmes is BAMF. I think Perceptor's skillset and asset to the team didn't need to change. Just his application.

11. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

Since he had better optics, the sniper thing made sense. Heck he did pull off a ridiculously long shot on a tiny object in the GI cartoon episode "Microbots".

My only question is why did he get skinnier? Don't recall the backflip shooting but that's a little overboard yeah.

12. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Well, that's what some of us are totally behind. Perceptor taking on that role when necessary makes absolute sense.

It's the drastic and, to me, dull and predictable personality shift that's the issue.

- Coeloptera

13. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Funny how someone who makes the simplest, most effective observations has a name i can't pronounce on the first attempt.

but i agree.

Bad-assery is not just a simple formula. John Wayne is Bad-Ass in ways that Clint Eastwood can't be, and even Nerds and Geeks are Bad-Ass in their own way. The Lone Gunmen from X-Files, is an example. (IMO)

Hell, TFA Prowl is a ninja, but he's so far from the stereotypical Ninja- he has a "family", he teaches, he shares, he is more open- and that is what makes his character THE bad-ass of that show.

And just making Perceptor into a Neo wannabe-sniper doesn't work.
    of all things, i thought he would be one of the emotionally drained, reluctant heroes. his awesomeness lies in the fact that his best attribute is also his curse; he's meticulous and because of it he is forced to be spot on perfect, even with his lethal skill sets.

14. enkidoamark

enkidoamark Well-Known Member

It's kind of cool, but at the same time really forced. Like others have said in other ways, it would be cooler if he were the nerd who was still always figuring stuff out, then something comes up, he snipes the hell out of something, then goes back to the nerd stuff like "as I was saying...". That would be better than the "I got hurt because I wasn't badass enough, now I'll be badass all the time to the EXTREME!!!" thing they are doing. It's been done. A lot.

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    One of the things I've thoroughly enjoyed about the G1 cartoon is the fact that the Autobots were Cybertronian civilians forced into a war. Sure, you're going to have your grunts and your tough guys, but one thing I have always enjoyed about Perceptor's character is that he wasn't one of those. It's not surprise that I agree with Coeloptera's assessment.

16. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

I always really liked Perceptor in G1.

I kinda identified with him so he was pretty cool to me, even if he was a fighter type.

My old G1 Perceptor toy is still one of my favorite TF's I own.

17. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, I've always liked Perceptor, too. I think that's one reason that I wasn't so keen on his IDW portrayal.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  18. Wingus

Wingus The Pungeon Master

Seconded. Thankfully, Roche and Roberts managed to fix it to a degree in Last Stand of the Wreckers. So at least he'll be King Nerd for a few issues again. Hopefully IDW won't give him to someone that will derail him again after Last Stand is over.