Heavy/Scratch: ALL HAIL OMARJT82’s CUSTOM ROTF LEADER MEGATRON

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by OmarJT82, Mar 15, 2010.

1. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For a half year, I have thought about it over and over in my mind about how to do it, searched wide and low for right parts, spent has much money as I could on those parts, bought 3 ROTF Voyager class Megatron’s and 3 ROTF Leader class Megatron’s, carved, drilled, dyed, painted, sanded, scraped, sweated blood, wiped off tears, and the end result is my most crowning and greatest achievement…

My very own hype-accurate, custom ROTF Leader class Megatron!!!​

WARNING: Prolonged viewing of these pics will result in permanent brain damage due to amazement, shock, and awe over them!

A) ALTERNATE MODE

My ROTF Leader class Megatron has the uncanny ability to alternate between robot, jet, and tank modes. Effectively turning him into a true triple changer. In his jet mode (alternate mode A), the parts that are used are the wings from ROTF Voyager class Megatron.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Split in half and connected to where ROTF Leader class Megatron’s jet pods were attached and kept in place using shoulder joints from Classics Deluxe class Grimlock attached onto the rear treads. In addition, the jets from ROTF Voyager class Megatron were attached to the back where ROTF Leader class Megatron’s jets are to create adjustable afterburners.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To change him to his tank mode (alternate mode B), I simply detached both wing halves at the point of attachment on the rear tank treads and swung them forward, folded the large wings on top of the rear treads, and moved the smaller wings to the back and the jets can be swung at the sides.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In this mode, note that the smaller wings have two small jets that can double as smaller guns in his tank mode, just like in the promotional movie pic.
    [​IMG]

In both modes (and robot mode), his cannon is from ROTF Voyager class Megatron. The middle finger of his right hand can slide between the two “spikes” of his robot mode head to keep the cannon in place with in either alternate mode.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The gray, 4-pronged barrel is from ROTF Leader class Megatron and has been modified to fit and be removed from the smaller, black barrel of the cannon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I replaced the gray, plastic wheels below the treads with ones made from black rubber grommets so that the figure won’t slip and slide in both of his alternate modes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

B) ROBOT MODE

My ROTF Leader class Megatron’s robot mode has some fasinating and familiar new additions, alterations and modifications.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Compare and contrast the pic of the promotional movie pic of ROTF Megatron to my custom ROTF Leader class Megatron. The feet have been altered to resemble the feet from the cropped promotional movie pics of ROTF Megatron. Wasn’t happy about the treads flipped forward to form the toes. So his new “toes” are from the legs of Classics Deluxe class Grimlock. They can be flipped backward when in both alternate modes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The left arm is from 2007 Movie Leader class Megatron and the cannon is from ROTF Voyager class Megatron.
    [​IMG]

Take a good look at both arms. They clearly echo the look of 2007 Movie Leader class Megatron when the right and left “ends” of his jet mode fold back onto his robot mode arms.
    [​IMG]

The left hand was made to be as accurate to the one in the cropped promotional movie pic of ROTF Megatron. First, the wrist was dyed in RIT Black dye, then I placed parts from 2 Spawn Cyber Units Action Figures to give him 2 shorter fingers and long middle finger in between, and lastly placed both middle fingers from 2007 Movie Leader class Premium Megatron on the sides to create the 2 “thumbs”.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The right arm and hand possesses more articulation thanks to the “neck” joint from ROTF Voyager class Megatron and the “thigh” from the small robot/head of Energon Supreme class Omega Supreme that were dyed in black. The “fingers are from 2 Spawn Cyber Units Action Figures with the thumb and middle “finger” possessing the pincer claws what he used to hold Sam Witwicky down while the “Doctor” (Scalpel) examined him in the ROTF movie. Held together with cut staples and Gorilla clear glue.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Take note of his left shoulder “pad”, the sides have been carved out to create 2 small spikes with the larger one in the middle, just like in the movie.
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the jets from his alternate modes can fold backward so that he is capable of flight in robot mode (just like in the movie).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the back is a connector were you can place the barrel of ROTF Leader class Megatron between the jets in his robot mode.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The large wings of his jet mode can be folded and concealed onto the inner sides of his “heels”.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

C) WEAPONS

To me, the flail weapon was indicative of the character. Using it to deliver a hard, physical blow to his enemies and/or any Decepticon who defiled him, like a tyrannical judge. I successfully managed to give him one...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...has well as ability to retract it back into place where one of the wheels from 2007 Movie Leader class Megatron was at.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While the flail was a trick to get done, the cannon/claw was a major challenge. Using parts from ROTF Leader class Megatron, the lower claw was lengthened and can fold further backward and the upper one was altered to not only be a bit longer, but also have a “switchblade” ability so it could fold and rest inside the cannon’s body.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When deployed, the left hand folds back and turn the lower left arm so that the “hand” stays in the back while the cannon does its thing in robot mode.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While not deployed, the cannon rests on top of the right arm in a nod to both the G1 and Animated versions of Megatron (the fusion cannons on them were simply mounted on the right arm).
    [​IMG]

The large “wings” of his jet mode can be used in his robot mode as “death spurs”. Using these, one kick from him can slice off a limb and/or fatally stab or slash an enemy. Talk about cowboy heels from hell.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To top it all off, I painted the sides of his abdomen and inner sides of his lower legs in Testors Model Master Acryl Insignia Red and Gold (and coated in Pledge Premium Floor Finish with Future Shine) as a nod to the red coloration of G1 Megatron.
    [​IMG]

Anyway, the added parts from ROTF Voyager class Megatron are not permanent. They will be replaced by parts from the “Unite for the Universe” version of ROTF Voyager class Megatron when it is released in June. That will save me the trouble of finding the right type of grey paint in order to repaint the parts of the original ROTF Voyager class Megatron so they can match the overall grey color of the rest of the figure.

In the future, I will post a comprehensive and detailed tutorial (with pics) on how this figure came to be so that you can do the same to your own ROTF Leader class Megatron (whether it be regular and/or Shadow Command) if you so choose. But in the meantime, please do not hesitate and feel free to post any comments and questions about my custom. I will answer them when I can.

Attached Files:

2. Starwave

Starwave Herald of Unicron

You put alot of good detail into this. He just needs a new paintjob, and then he will be MEGATRON! P.S. Might be just me, but I feel the red you added looks kinda bad. Just me though, if you like it then do what you want. It's your custom.

3. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    VERY NICE MODS!!!! I may use a few of those on my own in a future bash. Very well done sir.

4. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

wow that was alot of pictures lol.. looking awesome man! alot of modifications that looks like really paid off! if ur going to do a overall paint job that would be great to see!

5. the goth rat

the goth rat Well-Known Member

very nice what did you use to make the hands i been looking for something like that?

6. OmarJT82

News Credits:
    I used the shoulder spikes from 2 Spawn Cyber Units Action Figure Battle Unit 001 (blue) action figures.
    [​IMG]

7. GerardusMaximus

GerardusMaximus Deceptocreep

Paint it! Paint it! Paint it! Paint it!

8. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

This! While reading your blog (this isn't a quick "look what I did," no, it's a blog) I found my jaw slowly falling towards the floor. It was like a commercial for some kind of appliance... just as soon as there was something near, you're all like "But wait, there's MORE!" This has got to be one of the best Megatrons I've seen yet. Definitely paint this thing.

~Z

PS: Longest. Post. Ever.
    (someone give him a medal)

9. len_d69

len_d69 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love the hands. Its very detailed. I guess the only thing that looks off are the extra boosters behind in tank/jet mode. It might be better without it. But that's just me.

Great job. I can't get over the hands. Very Movie accurate!

10. konrathink

konrathink Jared Magnus

I agree. Hands are awesome, but the extra boosters on back seem a little out of place. Great work.

11. ampstik

ampstik Well-Known Member

awesome job!dont care for the ass tails much but everything else is wicked!dude you gotta paint this thing movie accurate,post it so we can see.then if you dont like it you can always paint it back!please for us!

12. resi4k

resi4k The Flying Robot-tater!

WOOHOO! great work! paint it! plss! im beggin you! i think this should be the megatron that hasbro produced!

13. tobuttica

tobuttica Well-Known Member

That is amazing. Those hands look very menacing!

14. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Ok, I'm throwing my Megatron in the garbage. THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

15. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    can I have it instead?

Btw awesome custom! Just needs a awesome paintjob to match the awesome mods.

16. Janeails22x

Janeails22x Collector & Customizer

News Credits:
    The hands are definitely the cream of the crop on this custom. Love movie accurate stuff. Definitely paint this baddy up!

17. OmarJT82

News Credits:
    I appreciate the suggestion(s) from you all, but I do not want to paint it! I am perfectly OK with the color scheme of the main figure. As the thread states, the parts I used from ROTF Voyager Megatron will be replaced by the same parts from the "Unite for the Universe" version of ROTF Voyager Megatron. 1 or 2 of which I will buy when it is released in June (or hopefully earlier).

Not to throw salt, but in the ROTF movie, Megatron has jet boosters in his robot mode...
    [​IMG]
    ...and with all due respect, the boosters are not extras. They are mean't to replace the old, vertical ones in his jet/tank modes.

By the way, has anyone noticed his cannon?

18. Bern

Bern Pathetic fools!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fantastic attention to detail. I know the amount of hours of engineering, thought and imagination that went into this will be lost on most. Excellent bash. I love this thread.

19. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ok dude, lemme refund you the $ you paid for megatron and you can send him back to me :) 
    great stuff man, if only he came that way

20. OmarJT82

News Credits:
    Thank you, kindly! I appreciate your feedback. :)