Heavy/Scratch: ALL HAIL OMARJT82’s CUSTOM ROTF LEADER MEGATRON (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by OmarJT82, Jul 8, 2011.

1. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It’s been almost a month since Part 2 and during that time I have completed his legs and improved him in other notable areas.

A) ALTERNATE MODE

PIC 001:
    [​IMG]
    PIC 002:
    [​IMG]
    Improvements to his alternate modes (tank: PIC 001 & jet: PIC 002) were made to maintain and enhance both playability and transformation by carefully altering and replacing certain parts.

PIC 003:
    [​IMG]
    The parts on his tank cannon/robot mode left arm were replaced by parts from ROTF Shadow Command Megatron, which will be explained later.

PIC 004:
    [​IMG]
    For his rear tank treads/robot mode heels, I used the pointed end of a LEGO Black Lance to lock the jet wings in place so that they could stay in place when in tank or robot mode via a carefully drilled hole on each of the wings.

PIC 005:
    [​IMG]
    The jet boosters were further modified with afterburners/inner turbines made with a LEGO Black Cone 1 x 1 with Top Groove glued with a modified LEGO Black 2 x 2 Round Brick and then placed on the main body of the boosters via a carefully gouged hole within the boosters.

B) ROBOT MODE

PIC 006:
    [​IMG]
    PIC 007:
    [​IMG]
    The additions and modifications to his alternate mode help to maintain and enhance both playability and transformation his robot mode as well.

PIC 008:
    [​IMG]
    As stated earlier, the parts on his tank cannon/robot mode left arm (main sword shaft, lower claw hinge, shoulder armor) were replaced by parts from ROTF Shadow Command Megatron. The shoulder armor was soaked in 91% Isopropyl Alcohol for 1 hour in order to remove that part’s original metallic paint. The reason for all this is because I intend to color dye the lower left arm/cannon in black.

The legs and feet were a challenge that required the upmost care and precision in cutting, sanding, and drilling.

PIC 009:
    [​IMG]
    The legs and feet are made from the legs and feet from ROTF Leader class Megatron and ROTF Leader class Shadow Command Megatron. The goal was to make them as movie-accurate to the legs and feet of ROTF Megatron as seen in the cropped promotional pic above.

PIC 010:
    [​IMG]
    The right half of his shins are from ROTF Leader class Megatron. The black paint on the tank treads of those halves were stripped/removed by submerging them in 91% Isopropyl Alcohol for 2 hours apart and then scrubbed off. The section of the treads that turn into his robot mode toes were replaced with the cut-offed right side of the robot mode toes from ROTF Leader class Shadow Command Megatron due to the fact that it is similar in color to the right half of his shins.

The left half of his shins are from ROTF Leader class Shadow Command Megatron. The metallic paint of the on the tank treads of those halves were will not be stripped/removed. The section of the treads that turn into his robot mode toes on this half were replaced with the cut-offed left side of the robot mode toes from ROTF Leader class Megatron due to the fact that it is similar in color to the left half of his thighs.

The original toes have been replaced with toes that were made from joint hinges from Classics Deluxe class Grimlock. Carefully cut and sanded down to resemble the projections at the bottom of his foot as seen the afore mentioned cropped promotional pic above. The rivet hole for the original toes and the new toes were carefully widened for a trimmed Hillman Group 4-40 x 1" Stainless Steel Coarse-Thread Pan-Head Machine Bolt. The bolts were treaded first through the new toe, then the old one, then the rivet hole on the foot, and lastly secured tightly in place with a fitting nut at the end. The original toes will be glue onto the thighs at the bottom to prevent undesired movement.

Thanks to these modifications, the new toes can swing backward when in he transforms into either of his alternate modes.

Seeing that the main treads are were the “engines” are located, a carefully gouged hole was made on the left side as sort of an exhaust port to expel smoke or any dirt or debris that was stuck onto his treads.

Trimmed Hillman Group 4-40 x 1" Stainless Steel Coarse-Thread Pan-Head Machine Bolts were used to attach the wings and their joint-hinge parts to his robot mode heels. In order for the bolt to fit within the heel, the original screw holes on the left and right halves were carefully widened.

PIC 011:
    [​IMG]
    The slots on the black ports on the thighs, were his new jet wings are placed, were carved out for a triangular portion on the bottom of his jet wings...

PIC 012:
    [​IMG]
    that allow the wings to "lock" in place when in robot mode.

PIC 013:
    [​IMG]
    The joint area behind the back portion of his robot mode, that housed the batteries, was modified not only for greater movement during transformation, but also to reposition his jet boosters has blaster weapons almost similar to the jets that Optimus Prime used as blaster weapons against Megatron in ROTF.

PIC 014:
    [​IMG]
    The final touch was a purple Decepticon symbol sticker were the original black Decepticon symbol was on his chest.

Once I feel confident that all the pieces are in place, the following will be done:

• The parts of the figure that are of LEGOS, from Classics Deluxe class Grimlock, and from ROTF Voyager class Megatron will be color dyed in black.
    • The right halves of his ROTF Leader class Megatron shins will be color dyed in red.
    • The tank treads will be painted over in Testors Model Master Magnesium Buffing Metallizer Lacquer.
    PIC 015:
    [​IMG]
    As I stated in Part 2, The overall goal for this project is to not only make him as movie-accurate as possible, but to give him his classic G1 color scheme as well as seen in the pic of his G1 action figure above.

Attached Files:

2. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    GREAT idea!!!

3. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

that is off the hook!
    I cannot get meg's head to be like that, but man is it cool

4. Saberfrost01

Saberfrost01 元ロボ ダイユーシャ

With every update you improve that little bit more. Part 2 update looked a mess in my opinion but though these are mostly minor changes It has massive affect.
    Also I have a confession, since the last update the spindly arm's grown on me.
    Kudos Good Sir.
    You might say I love DOTM Meagtron;s design so much that it makes his predessecors look just as epic

5. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    He's looking cool man, the extra kibble around his knees though really draws attention,for me, to his thin thighs and tiny waste though

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is really looking sharp!

7. legolas grof

legolas grof Cardboard Industries CEO

News Credits:
    awsome! love it :) 

8. DMcB360

DMcB360 Radicon G2

nice, you were indeed way ahead of me on the toes. nice murder arm for sure.

9. OmarJT82

News Credits:
    If you'all thought Part 2 was awesome, CHECK THIS THREAD OUT!!!

10. OmarJT82

News Credits:
  11. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
  12. OmarJT82

News Credits:
  13. Blackjack2099

Blackjack2099 Well-Known Member

Does anyone mind if I drool in amazment?

14. lordstarscream3

lordstarscream3 Member

Better than it used to be.

This is better than what you first had, the right arm looks alot better and the whole thing overall looks better. But, the murder arm alone is a little small. But that's because you used the voyager one, and I was never a fan of that, in anyone's custom. I still wish you would paint him a good silver, but I like it. Well done.

15. lordstarscream3

lordstarscream3 Member

Now i need help.

I originally thought you wasted your money buying all those megatrons, but now, you can help me. I bought a rotf Megatron on eBay for my next custom, and I got him without knee pads. If you didn't scrap the extras from the other Megatrons you got, I think we could work something out. I would greatly appreciate it, cuz I need those knee pads. Thanks

16. OmarJT82

News Credits:
    Bump.

17. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Brilliant work, dude!!! Loving that your taking your time andrefining itas your going along Can't wait to see this finished!.