Heavy/Scratch: ALL HAIL OMARJT82’s CUSTOM ROTF LEADER MEGATRON (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by OmarJT82, Jun 13, 2011.

1. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For almost 2 years, I have thought about it over and over in my mind about how to do it, searched wide and low for right parts, spent has much money as I could on those parts, bought 5 ROTF Voyager class Megatron’s, 4 ROTF Leader class Megatron’s, 2 ROTF Leader class Shadow Command Megatron’s, brainstormed, carved, drilled, dyed, painted, sanded, scraped, sweated blood, wiped off tears, went through trials and errors, and the end result is my most crowning and greatest achievement…

My very own hype-accurate, custom ROTF Leader class Megatron!!!​

WARNING: Prolonged viewing of these pics will result in permanent brain damage due to amazement, shock, and awe over them!

A) ALTERNATE MODE

This was my previous attempt to make my own unique custom ROTF Leader class Megatron: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radic...l-omarjt82-s-custom-rotf-leader-megatron.html

Since then, after months of brainstorming, careful planning, and trial & error, my project has evolved even futher!

PIC 001:
    [​IMG]
    PIC 002:
    [​IMG]
    My custom ROTF Leader class Megatron has the uncanny ability to alternate between alternate mode A - jet mode (PIC 001) and alternate mode B - tank mode (PIC 002). Effectively turning him into a true triple changer.

To change him to his tank mode (alternate mode B), I simply detached both wing halves at the point of attachment on the rear tank treads and swung them forward, folded the large wings on top of the rear treads, and moved the smaller wings to the back and the jets can be swung at the sides. In this mode, note that the smaller wings have two small jets that can double as smaller guns in his tank mode.

PIC 003:
    [​IMG]
    The parts that are used are the wings from ROTF Voyager class Megatron. Split in half and connected to where ROTF Leader class Megatron’s smaller jets were attached and kept in place using shoulder joints from Classics Deluxe class Grimlock attached onto the rear treads.

PIC 004:
    [​IMG]
    The rivet hole in the front of both split wings was widened carefully with a Dremel 4.8V Cordless with a 1/8” Drill Bit as a port to store his robot mode right hand (and other detachable weapons/tools) while in either of his alternate mode.

PIC 005:
    [​IMG]
    In addition, the jets from ROTF Voyager class Megatron were attached to the back where ROTF Leader class Megatron’s jets are to create adjustable afterburners. The rivet hole on the outer sides of the jets was also widened carefully with a Dremel 4.8V Cordless with a 1/8” Drill Bit as a port to store his detachable weapons/tools, like the custom flail head seen in the pic (makeup of custom flail head will be explained in PIC 018).

PIC 006:
    [​IMG]
    In both his jet and tank alternate modes, his robot mode left arm serves as the “mask” that covers his face (makeup of robot mode left arm will be explained PIC 020).
    PIC 007:
    [​IMG]
    In both modes, the cannon has a wide level of movement.

PIC 008:
    [​IMG]
    It can swivel right, left, up, and even angle downward.

PIC 009:
    [​IMG]
    The cannon is a true work of art. The main body is the cannon from ROTF Voyager class Megatron. The barrel is made of three parts.

A, B, C: The first part is the gray, 4-fingered muzzle from ROTF Leader class Megatron. The middle hole of the muzzle was widened to fit a LEGO Black 1x1 Straight Side Round Plate. Before I glued the plate in with Clear Gorilla Super Glue, I drilled a hole in the middle of it using a Dremel 4.8V Cordless with a 3/64” Drill Bit in order to fit a LEGO Black Bar 6.6L with Stop Ring through it, which was shortened/trimmed. On the bottom and right side of the muzzle, medium-size rivets have been installed.

D, E, F: The “inner” barrel of the cannon is composed of 1 LEGO Black 2x2 Round Tile and 1 LEGO White 2x2 Round Brick with Grille. On the left side of the LEGO White 2x2 Round Brick with Grille is a hole for the screw that keeps the brick in place via the LEGO Black 2x2 Round Tile glued onto the front of the main body. The right and left sides have drilled holes so that the rivets on the “fingered” muzzle would fit in. This keeps the muzzle stationary. The middle hole of the brick and plate was drilled/widened to fit a LEGO Light Gray Technic 1/2 Pin with 2L Bar Extension. This further connects the muzzle via the middle of it (modified and glued-in LEGO Black 1x1 Straight Side Round Plate and LEGO Black Bar 6.6L with Stop Ring) to the middle of the brick and plate.

B) ROBOT MODE

Has I stated earlier my ROTF Leader class Megatron evolved even futher. That evolution is clearly evident is his robot mode (PIC 010).

PIC 010:
    [​IMG]

PIC 011:
    [​IMG]
    The right hand (A) was made to be as accurate to the one in the cropped promotional movie pic of ROTF Megatron.

PIC 012:
    [​IMG]
    First, the wrist was dyed in RIT Black dye, then I placed parts from 2 Spawn Cyber Units Action Figures to give him 2 shorter fingers and long middle finger in between. The middle finger is composed of a long finger glued-in with a middle, metal rod to a small finger (B & C). Lastly, I placed both middle fingers from 2007 Movie Leader class Premium Megatron on the sides to create the 2 “thumbs” (D & E).

F: In order to make the right hand detachable, the long shaft of the wrist was cut-offed and sanded down. Then a drilled hole has made on that area in order to install a LEGO Black Bar 6.6L with Stop Ring that was first modified with a drill hole on the Stop Ring where a small screw would be placed in. The modified bar was then screwed onto the drilled hole on the cut-offed and sanded down area of the wrist and the long shaft of the bar was trimmed and shortened. The screw on the Stop Ring along with a small drop of Clear Gorilla Super Glue ensures that the bar will be strongly held in place without the risk of breaking off.

G & H: The result is a near-accurate, detachable right hand with movable fingers and thumbs.

PIC 013:
    [​IMG]
    The modifications I made to the cannon earlier (A, B, C, D) allow the modified right hand to be fitted securely onto the middle of the barrel (E & F).

PIC 014:
    [​IMG]
    The modifications I made to the cannon earlier and the modified right hand allow the cannon itself to perfectly transform into his robot mode right arm (A).

The right arm itself is a true work of art. A masterpiece! It is made from parts of 4 different Movieverse Megatrons: 2007 Movie Leader class Megatron, ROTF Leader class Megatron, ROTF Leader class Shadow Command Megatron, and ROTF Voyager class Megatron. Some parts were carefully and precisely modified. Below is the composition of the right arm:

Shoulder: Modified ROTF Voyager class Megatron lower cannon claw with modified ROTF Leader class Shadow Command Megatron shoulder joint.

Upper Arm: Modified 2007 Movie Leader class Megatron upper arm.

Lower Arm: Modified ROTF Voyager class Megatron cannon with modified, selected LEGO parts, modified ROTF Leader class Megatron sword shaft with ROTF Voyager class Megatron upper cannon claw.

The modifications made earlier give the right arm and hand an incredible level of articulation (B & C).

PIC 015:
    [​IMG]
    A, B, C: In the right arm’s “normal” mode, the upper claw can fold forward to become his “sword” (like “Transformers: Prime” Megatron and the Superpredators from “Predators”) or the arm and hand can be turned upside-down so that it looks like the blade projects from under his arm (like one of Predators had in “Alien Vs Predator”). In both scenarios, the lower claw is folded backward is it does not hinder the movement of the hand.

D, E, F: The right arm can further convert into his “death-lock pincer” cannon as seen in ROTF.

G, H, I: The first half of lower claw and the shaft in the claws shaft hole are from ROTF Voyager class Megatron while the second half is composed of parts from ROTF Leader class Megatron that allows the lower claw to be lengthened and fold further backward. The first half of the upper claw (ROTF Voyager class Megatron's upper cannon claw) was carved to make it as movie-accurate as possible. Both that and the second half (ROTF Leader class Megatron's sword shaft) were modified so that the upper claw/sword would not only be a bit longer, but also have a “switchblade” ability.

J, K, L: The modifications explained above allow the upper claw/sword to fold and rest inside the cannon’s body to resemble the cannon as seen in this DVD screenshot:
    [​IMG]

PIC 016:
    [​IMG]
    Take note of his right shoulder “pad”, the middle has been carefully and precisely carved out and modified to fit a smoothed-out ROTF Voyager class Megatron upper cannon claw in order to create the appearance of 2 small spikes with the larger one in the middle, just like in the movie.

To me, Megatron’s flail weapon was indicative of the character. Using it to deliver a hard, physical blow to his enemies and/or any Decepticon who defiled him, like a tyrannical judge.

PIC 017:
    [​IMG]
    The creation of the string reel for his flail within the body of the right arm/cannon that would allow the “chains” of the flail to be reeled back and forth was a challenge, but I successfully managed to give him one.

A & B: The shaft where ROTF Voyager class Megatron's upper cannon claw was originally place was cut-offed. The inner, opposite ends of the screw hole areas were carved out into shallow pits for the string reel, which is composed of a small shaft from ROTF Leader class Megatron with a drilled-through hole and one orange gear from ROTF Voyager class Megatron modified to fit and be glued onto the small shaft.

C & D: After knot was made at one end of a 6 inch piece of Black OMEGA 100% Nylon Thread, the opposite end of the thread was ran through the hole that was drilled through the trimmed bottom of the modified LEGO Light Gray Technic 1/2 Pin with 2L Bar Extension in the middle of the cannon barrel. The thread was then ran through the middle of the cannon barrel and then through the hole on the shaft of the new string reel and the opposite end of the tread was tied into a knot.

PIC 018:
    [​IMG]
    Thanks to the modifications above I can use my thumb on the orange gear to reel the string back until the LEGO Light Gray Technic 1/2 Pin with 2L Bar Extension (with flail head attached) snaps back into the middle of the barrel (A) and forth by spinning the orange gear once in the opposite direction and pushing the pin out (B).

C & D: The main body/head is made of the upper halves of 2 ROTF Deluxe class Stalker Scorponok stingers. They have been sanded down at the bottom so that the can rest flat on each other and at the flail’s opposite ends are 3 modified (sanded and drill-holed) LEGO Black 1x1 Straight Side Round Plates (1 at the front end and 2 glue oppositely at the rear end) that were glue on after I widened the hole were the stinger’s shaft was placed originally.

The modified LEGO Light Gray Technic 1/2 Pin with 2L Bar Extension in the middle of the cannon barrel was not only made to serve as the connecting point for his alternate mode’s cannon muzzle, the joint for his right hand, and the inner part of his “death-lock pincer” cannon, but also as the connecting point for the main body/head of his chainlink flail.

PIC 019:
    [​IMG]
    The design ROTF Leader class Megatron’s head is a disappointment. It did not have the long “horns” as seen in ROTF. By thanks to a little brainstorming and trial & error, I changed that on mine.

A, B, C, D, E: The head was disassembled so that the face could first be submerged in 91% Isopropyl Alcohol for 1 hour so that I could remove the black paint application with a toothbrush. If there was still some left, the face was submerged in 91% Isopropyl Alcohol for another hour. During that process, the back of his head’s side armor has well as the back of his scalp were carefully trimmed and sanded down to “elongate” the “horns” and make is face slimmer. To my surprise, his eyebrows are a separate piece within his face. It was painted in Sharpie Black and the eyes were painted in Testors Model Master Chevrolet Engine Red Enamel Paint, which makes the eyes look brighter.

F & G: The rivet hole on the outer side of his right jet booster was carefully widened with a Dremel 4.8V Cordless with a 1/8” Drill Bit so that is could serve as an extra storage port for his right hand while his “death-lock pincer” cannon was being used. The rivet hole on the outer side of his left jet booster was not widened. It served as the storage port for his gray, 4-fingered muzzle of his alternate mode cannon.

H, I, J: 2 more storage ports for his right hand were made on his hips (circled in red).

PIC 020:
    [​IMG]
    As with the right arm and hand, the left arm and hand were also made to be as movie-accurate as possible.

A, B, C: The “fingers are from 2 Spawn Cyber Units Action Figures with the thumb and middle “finger” possessing the pincer claws what he used to hold Sam Witwicky down while the “Doctor” (Scalpel) examined him in the ROTF movie. Held together with cut staples and Clear Gorilla Super Glue.

The left arm and hand possesses more articulation thanks to the “thigh” from the small robot/head of Energon Supreme class Omega Supreme that was dyed in black (D, E, F) and the “neck” joint from ROTF Voyager class Megatron (G, H, I, J).

The upper and lower arms were carefully shortened in order for the whole left arm to be the same length as the right arm in light of all the modifications that were made there (K) and now the left arm and hand possesses more articulation thanks to the modifications that were made (L).

PIC 021:
    [​IMG]
    While in robot mode, his alternate mode A wings turn into extra armor for his thighs.

A, B, C, D, E: The rivet holes that were widened previously still serve as storage ports for his right hand, flail, and other weapons (the LEGO Black Spear) and like his robot mode face, his chest and sternum or breastbone (where the black Decepticon symbol is) was submerged in 91% Isopropyl Alcohol for 1 hour so that I could remove the black and gold paint applications with a toothbrush. If there was still some left, the chest was submerged in 91% Isopropyl Alcohol for another hour. There was still a bit left but I decided to leave them be, it gives Megatron’s body a “weathered” look.

F: The large wings of his jet mode can be folded and concealed onto the inner sides of his “heels” and the gray, plastic wheels below the treads have been replaced with ones made from black rubber grommets so that the figure won’t slip and slide in both of his alternate modes.

Compare and contrast PIC 022 and PIC 023:

PIC 022:
    [​IMG]
    PIC 023:
    [​IMG]

Pretty damn close if I do say so myself!

I was hoping to replace the parts with the ones from the “Unite for the Universe” version of ROTF Voyager class Megatron when it was to be released. It would have saved me the trouble of finding the right type of grey paint in order to repaint the parts of the original ROTF Voyager class Megatron so they can match the overall grey color of the rest of the figure. But now that the “Unite for the Universe” version of ROTF Voyager class Megatron has been cancelled plus the fact that I cannot find the right type of gray paint that will match the original gray on ROTF Leader class Megatron, my best and only option now is to color dye all of the ROTF Voyager class Megatron parts in RIT black.

I still need to modify his alternate mode tank treads/robot mode legs and feet in order to make them as movie-accurate as possible as well. The overall goal for this project is to not only make him as movie-accurate as possible, but to give him his classic G1 color scheme as well.

In the future, I will post a comprehensive and detailed tutorial (with pics) on how this figure came to be so that you can do the same to your own ROTF Leader class Megatron (whether it be regular and/or Shadow Command) if you so choose. But in the meantime, please do not hesitate and feel free to post any comments and questions about my custom. I will answer them when I can.

Attached Files:

2. knockoff

knockoff Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    really amazing work. the dedicated and detail you put into this is inspiring. best leader megs ive seen in a while.

3. Pyps

Pyps Germany´s Customizer

I´m working at the same... but in my one you don´t need to put sth. of and on :wink: 
    But that´s very nice, dude

4. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    Again: man, do this in your threads!

A lot more than that! this is outstanding engeneering!

love the bulky legs (reminds me on Jetpower Prime from ROTF ^^)

The only thing i'm not with, is the "skinny" murderclaw.

and where are the changes on the head?

When do you think you could start painting this monster?

5. OmarJT82

News Credits:
    Look carefully on the top row of PIC 019 and you will see the changes! :inquisiti 

6. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

Hold on,........ ok sorry had to pick my jaw off the floor. This is intensely awesome.

7. Long_Haul

Long_Haul N*ggacon

Yeah this will be nice. I dig you fine eye to how he looks and not just another repaint.

8. OmarJT82

News Credits:
    There are some parts on him that need to be replaced and/or refined and I plan on giving him new movie-accurate tank treads/legs.

Once I feel that all the parts are up to my specifications, I will color dye the ROTF Voyager Megatron parts in RIT Black.

Like I said before, The overall goal for this project is to not only make him as movie-accurate as possible, but to give him his classic G1 color scheme as well.

9. zark225

zark225 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This looks freaking amazing! That's a lot of time and effort put into a project, and it turned out well!

10. eltonlin98

eltonlin98 INERTIA DRIFT TRIGGERED

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    great! Now get paint and make it color matching ;D

11. rainchang007

rainchang007 Well-Known Member

Super awesome!!

12. Saberfrost01

Saberfrost01 元ロボ ダイユーシャ

I'm not quite sure what to say.
    Fact is I never liked the concept of ROTF Megatron's robot mode with the spinly arm.
    I can see you were aiming for accuracy here and for that roll it works. However the left arm looks incredibly weak. (I blame the orignial content not you)

Are you going to paint this if so I'd be better off waiting till seeing a paint job before calling this ugly. (Although UGLY IS what ROTF Megatron basically is.)

So current verdict is as a Custom this is brilliant but it doesn't feel like a Megatron Should.

13. OmarJT82

News Credits:
    At least the left arm has long fingers to compensate for that! :D 

14. Saberfrost01

Saberfrost01 元ロボ ダイユーシャ

That I can agree with. :lol 

15. DMcB360

DMcB360 Radicon G2

damn. I just got my camera working and I was going to post my WIP of this similar project. but I didnt do the jet wings. I like that you used the voyager mold ("we need parts!.. kill the small one") its nice to see someone else demanded justice for this form of megatron. cant wait to see him painted. you should do a split toe mod, im totally doing one.

16. OmarJT82

News Credits:
    I already did! :wink: 

Check it out here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radic...2-s-custom-rotf-leader-megatron-part-3-a.html

17. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm Thundercracker fanatic

O_O.....*falls in love with megatrons ROTF form all over again after seeing this* OHMIGAWD! this inspires me!! i love it!

18. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    :popcorn 

19. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm Thundercracker fanatic

project thought up and under way (insert evil laugh here)

20. Vincymon

Vincymon Well-Known Member

As we would say in creole. Saque' toneh !!!

The only thing you need to do now is paint it. The movie accurate shape is there, its just that the new parts are green, and therefore, easily visible.
    But once you paint it all so that it looks like one peice... it'll be the masterpiece.