All Hail Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by OmegaCarly, Jul 17, 2009.

1. OmegaCarly

OmegaCarly LoL Ravage

Ebay:
    Hey guys, I just picked up AHM in TPB and I realized there's some information that I'm missing. I haven't been reading comic books for quite some time and the concept of AHM really got my interest.

So... What should I read before I continue reading AHM?

I'm also thinking of picking up the Spotlight TPB's. What do you guys think?

2. Sinestro

Sinestro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  3. OmegaCarly

OmegaCarly LoL Ravage

Ebay:
  4. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Wait! Stop...
    STOP!

Before you continue there are a few things you should know.
    You said this:

I have read similar concepts from people recently and they all have one thing in common: they never read the stories prior to AHM.

Many people, myself included, did not like AHM and were quite vocal about it.
    The main reason, it seemed, is that the events of AHM do not coexist well with the previous stories.

Somewhere along the way I realized that was the only problem I had with it, and when taken by itself, AHM was pretty good.

IDW first announced AHM as a separate continuity tale. Then they said it was actually an in-continuity story and was always planned that way.
    However, reality tells a different story and the early AHM issues are filled with plot holes if you considered what came before; later issues attempted to clumsily fill in some gaps.

However, I will never be convinced that it was supposed to be in mainline continuity because the premise of AHM is that the Decepticons are running around the Earth unchallenged. There is a big plot element developed as to how that happened -but it is unnecessary.
    In the mainline continuity the Autobots had abandoned the Earth anyway.
    There was no need to develop a plot device that already existed.

We all kept up with the announcements, and we all remember hearing that the stories we were reading would be continued for another 12 issues or so.
    Well those 12 issues were quite unsatisfactorily condensed into 4.
    Then we got AHM and it contradicted even those four issues.

So, if you want to, still track down those issues.
    There is some crazy good art, and some interesting ideas thrown around.
    However, the ideas take a long time to develop.
    If you start reading them and wondering where they will go, know that most go nowhere. The previous stories don't so much end -they just stop.

Maybe it's better to just start with AHM and go from there -just my idea.

5. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

This.

You're better off reading AHM starting with issue 1 and not reading background info. There are actually fewer plot holes this way.

6. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Smasher and Lord of Tetris speak the truth. Spending time reading all the back story IDW developed in the previous stories will more than likely make you want to pull your hair out if you then go read AHM. All the set-up is just erased for the first 6+ issues of AHM, then clumsily tied back together. If you like the premise of All Hail Megatron just stick with reading it and the acompanying Spotlights (Blurr, Jazz, Drift) and go forward from there....

7. Spoon

Spoon Banned

My advice? Try not to read AHM.

The characters all talk like they're from a soap, and all act like gun totin', sword slashin' badasses. The plot doesn't advance for large swathes of time, before suddenly rushing forward with poorly written events. All the 'deep' concepts raised are poorly thought out and self-defeating. Plot twists won't make you think 'Oooh, that's clever', so much as 'What the hell just happened?'.

Argh. AHM angries up my blood. Find earlier IDW titles, but once you get to the end of Escalation,
    pretend that Optimus defeats Megatron and the Decepticons once and for all
    , then read some of the Spotlights, then stop.

8. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    You know who I feel sorry for? The people who bought every individual issue of IDW's TF series when it started out in 2005-2006. They've put years and a lot of money into supporting the storyline, only to have IDW (essentially) say:

IDW hoped AHM would boost its readership by bringing in new readers who wanted a more familiar, cartoon-style storyline. But judging by the sales figures, all they've done is traded one readership for another, meaning they went nowhere with this AHM experiment.

9. OmegaCarly

OmegaCarly LoL Ravage

Ebay:
    That's one of the reasons why I haven't been reading comic books. I hate it when the setup takes longer to tell than the actual story it self which ends up shafted and the story ends haphazardly.

I guess some if my questions about AHM like who the traitor is will be answered later. I know it would have been prefaced in some way in prior issues or continuity as to why that autobot became a traitor. My main question is why that autobot became a traitor. It just irks me because I don't know... And why is it that there isn't any autobots on earth? Why aren't they helping the humans?

So far I really like how AHM's portraying jazz, he seems like a real badass. I really wish we can get a Universe toy of him. And of course Megatron - death incarnate. Its kinda cool that the Cons finally won something.

Anyway I think you guys just saved me a whole bunch of money.

10. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Judging by past decisions by IDW and the company's disregard for continuity, I'd expect AHM to be retconned sooner or later. So you've already wasted your money, doubly so by spending it on AHM in the first place :p 

11. OmegaCarly

OmegaCarly LoL Ravage

Ebay:
    Man! You got a lot of hate for AHM. lol

I bought the tpb, so I really haven't invested a lot of time and money for AHM. I dunno about retcon tho, isn't it too late since its 13 issues deep already?

12. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

The storyline before that was several years deep - more than 20 issues - before it got retconned, so go figure. They'll do it again with another event to drive up sales (and by then they'll have pissed off two groups of TF comic fans and will be fast running out of people who will be interested)

13. SC0RP0N0K

SC0RP0N0K Well-Known Member

Personally I loved AHM and I'd read all the IDW books before AHM came out. I know the company says AHM is in continuity but I prefer to think of it as a divergent timeline. I loved the idea that Megatron winning could probably be the worst thing he could do. I liked the traitor idea even though it's been done many times before. I know there are some plot holes and such, but overall I think it has some great ideas and beautiful art. Plus I love Perceptor being a badass even if it's only been in like one scene so far as I've read.

14. OmegaCarly

OmegaCarly LoL Ravage

Ebay:
    It would suck like hell if they do abandon the current storyline. I like AHM because of its current storyline, changing it midstream would be an utter disregard of its readers. Oh well..

Like you, I like the idea of Megatron finally winning. I'm not really aware of the plot holes in AHM like many of you have mentioned. I was even advised to disregard everything that happened before AHM and treat it as it own continuity. I guess ignorance really is bliss in my case.

Perceptor being a badass with a sniper rifle and drift moving his head slightly is freaking cool.

"Perceptor- Perceptor is scary. When did Perceptor become scary?" -Drift

15. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    It was Tracks who said that. You only think it was Drift because you would logically want THERE TO BE A REASON FOR HIS EXISTENCE OTHER THAN AUTHORWANK.

sigh

16. OmegaCarly

OmegaCarly LoL Ravage

Ebay:
    I stand corrected. It is Tracks who I quoted. Wait what? Authorwank?

17. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    No big deal, it's just Drift is a Mary Sue. Great piece of dialogue though, one of my favorites in the series.

18. OmegaCarly

OmegaCarly LoL Ravage

Ebay:
    Wait don't tell me yet! lol I haven't received my spotlight Drift. Yeah he kinda is huh?

Btw can you explain why Roadbuster gained weight? He seems so... Fat.

19. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Uncounted Outlier

News Credits:
    I keep hearing this... anyone got a link to that announcement? I've been pretty close with IDW's TF stuff since it started, and I remember nothing of AHM being anything but in-continuity from the get-go. Including all the stuff people claimed was shoe-horned in because of fan complaints.

9 actually (Maximum Dinobots), but yeah...