All Hail Megatron #7 Discussion (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Foster, Feb 4, 2009.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I know this thread isn't exactly proper for what I want to discuss, but there's no general AHM thread I could find and I didn't want to drag back the thread on issue six.

I recently got the AHM trade paperback, and have no idea why people hate it so much. I can understand why some don't like it, but not the snobby, "I'm so well read I can critique whatever, myah myah" pretentiousness that is the scolding hatred towards such a trivial little subject, a comic book series no less.

Maybe it's just because I'm reading it in TB form, so it reads more like one long book than several little comic book issues, but I' satisfied with what's going on so far, with few reservations:

Verity and Jimmy. No way they could survive on Cybertron, even if the storms have let up. Last we saw them they were out cold, possibly veggies after being dead for, what was it, five minutes? Can't remember the exact time.

A full year has passed since Revalations and AHM, so stuff like the Autobots being beaten back to Cybertron I can understand, but I hope that story, especially exactly HOW Prime lost the Matrix (we know Megatron stole in in a battle, but I'd like to see that battle), are given their own story.

What DOES bother me is all the great IDW designs replaced by lame toy designs. Sunny and Sideswipe I can deal with, because they actually look better, but Prowl? I loved his design. And Starscream, TC and SW DOWNgrading to crappy F-15s? What the hell? Ratbat I can understand, if he was given to Soundwave reformatting to fit in him is quite plausible. Hot Rod's slick Viper mode is gone, replaced by his generic and plain G1 mode. And Astrotrain. Uh... WTF?

I love the art on the robots, but the humans come off as very generic (mostly the caucasian males, I honestly got confused 'cuz I though I was seeing the same guy again and again) Though some of the characters I really love are Cliffjumper and Frenzy. Frenzy is an animal, and Cliffjumper's just awesome. I hope they don't go all deep and serious on him in his spotlight liek pretty much everyone else besides Ramjet and Hardhead.

I do miss the "robots in disguise" element that was present through Infiltration, Escalation and even through some of Devestation. And again, they're more updated and realistc vehicle modes which sold it all. (I loved how the vehicles were drawn by EJ Sue, too. Another thing I miss) One thing I'm glad is gone is Ultra Energon/Ore 13. That was cool for about two series, then I was glad it phased out. I also miss Furman's writing. I can deffinately see him wanting to put more ties to the old comics simply because he wrote them, and would inherently make more references. Plus, I don't really like a lot of Shane's dialogue for the bad guys (minus the great bit with Starscream and Megatron talking about where do they go from there) as much as Furman's. Also how he seems to be intentionally ignoring stuff simply because he didn't like it.

I like AHM, then again I love a lot of 'crap'. (BW, Movie, Animated, etc...) So who am I to like Transformers?

I only collect Trade Paperbacks of TF comics off the internet, since I have no comic book store near me and buying issues off the web is not practical. I have pretty much every TPB of the IDW series so far (excluding Animated or Movie stuff, minus ROS), so I've had the "advantage" of reading them not as issues, but longer books, and I generally don't understand a lot of the hate for the series, and it really blows when something you like is constantly picked to the bone by internet haters who have nothing better to do.