All Hail Megatron #5 Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Tim Formas, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    Finally, I feel like we're getting somewhere with this series.

The humans have a plan, which involves Witwicky's army son...Spike! You knew Spike Witwicky wasn't going to die like that.

From the story of the combined Autobots on Cybertron, we get a glimpse of a little more of the backstory. Decepticons got Autobot access codes and the Matrix of Leadership. Yikes. Really getting the feeling that Mirage isn't the traitor. Jazz seemed to trust him too much. Also loved Jazz showing Kup a thing or two. Sadly, no mention of Kup's time alone from his Spotlight or his time on life support. Seems to be another character not connected to the IDW-Furman character.

For all the hype Drift has been getting (multiple covers), I don't believe he was even mentioned by name.

Still, it's getting there. Looking forward to #6.

2. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

Issue #4 I found to be a winner.

Issue #5 is....another winner!

In place of unbridled mayhem, we are now getting some fleshed-out character development, which IMO, is where the strength in the Transformers license will always lie.

The character moments involving Jazz in particular these past two issues have been the creme-de-la-creme of Jazz moments in TF history. He is for once living up to his billing as a true badass, someone truly worthy of stripping the mantle of second-in-command from Mr. By-The-Book himself. Taking down Springer, a character renowned for his batlle prowess and unflapabble resolve in battle (which is on full display when he saves his crew), further sends us a message about this Jazz. You just don't mess with him.

The human moments will always lack the excitement the bots bring for me. I just haven't found these characters in any way intriguing, and the whole tough guy army routine has worn thin. I was hoping Spike really was dead, just to make things a bit exciting with the humans, but twas not to be.

As effective as the bot moments have been the last few issues, I really hope to see them take more of center stage.

Though I will say the Ratbat moment was a nice touch. Very..eerily batlike, you could say.

The dialogue, though, I have found to be the biggest strength of this series thus far. I've harped on about Simon's dialogue vs. his storytelling, so I won't belabor that point. I will only say it's been like a breath of fresh air in that department with McCarthy.

Pacing is still a tad slow for my taste in the storytelling department, but in the face of good character moments, I can forgive this. It's what was missing the first three issues, and more the reason why those issues just dragged.

Not too keen on seeing the Matrix though. Here's to hoping it does not play the role of 'major plot device' as it has in times past. Maybe it will just get chucked into a 'solar pool'?

All in all, things are looking up. I get the feeling that the payoff is going to be big come series end, particular when read as a trade.

Artwork is, again, excellent.

An "A-". Pleased with the last two or three issues.

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Poor Ratbat. His track record against the Witwickys sucks. :lol 

4. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    This series is still going way too slow five issues in, we should've had more of a plot by now. I'm also really miffed (but not surprised) no explanation was given or hinted at for why Kup is okay.

That aside, however, I DO really like how McCarthy portrays Kup, robo-cigar and all. He also does Jazz pretty well.

5. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If McCarthy actually gets around to bridging Spotlight:Kup to this version of Kup, I will give him kudos. If he doesn't, I'ma throw a pen at him for ignoring my favourite Spotlight issue ever. :O

Also, for all my compliments on McCarthy's dialogue...the scene between Spike and his dad felt unbelievably awkward to me. I get what he was trying to do but IMO it fell short.

Springer getting some love is all good with me.

The "They perfected it" line was another throwaway ref to IDW (Monstructor), and I dunno if I like it or not.

Agreeing though that the plot is finally starting to move palpably. Hopefully the next issue won't be a let-down in that area.

6. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Another solid issue with the highlight being of course the dialogue between Kup and Jazz, but again I'm not too engaged by the reimagined Witwicky family, which is reminding me of stereotyped military drama seen in summer popcorn films (it's not bad all the time, but it's kinda repetitive here). Otherwise, great art and colors as usual by Guidi, Casey, and Josh. And nice to see the Universe Dropshot/Cyb. Scattershot mold make an easter egg cameo.:) 

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I want a Kup figure.

8. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    AHM is definitely getting better, no doubt there, but it still has a long way to go. It still just feels so disconnected to what IDW was putting out prior to it.

It's great seeing that Kup has physically recovered and I like the "shock & awe" on the faces of Jazz's crew when he and the others show up... but there better be a damn good explanation as to why and how he's in the position he's in. Both the being fixed and (IMO, more importantly) the being in command. Wasn't he considered mentally too far gone to ever recover last we saw him?

9. KAGE

KAGE aka: GibsonKAGE

News Credits:
    Hell I want a Wheeljack figure w/ a cosmotron accessory LOL!

But Im happy with this issue, even the throwaway reference to Monstructor was enough for me. I have a feeling this series will turn out "OK", everything is moving the way I hoped it would....kind'a

10. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

I think someone really wants a Kup figure.

The oddest thing about this issue for me is how much I got thrown off from the actual main plot by a tiny throwaway remark. The Swarm? Seriously?

11. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

BEST :drool: 
    JAZZ:cool: 
    MOMENT:jawdropper: 
    EVER!!!:popcorn 

As a 1984 fan, it's about time these rookies were schooled. "Prime's Crew" indeed. They were supposed to be the best of the best, and I hated the way they were all killed off so easilly in the movie.

Only thing I would add? Hound would have also been one of Jazz's sentries.

12. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    See, IMHO, if AHM was self contained, this would be great. But for me, I'm still waiting for why all the Decepticons got downgraded forms from the past IDW series (1984-5 forms) and now they'd better explain how Kup recovered.

Sorry, it's probably just me, but the former point, really bugs me.

Also for me, Ratbat, didn't say anything, so he just came off like a dumb cassette drone. Even a witty remark. But I guess we all consider Megatron:Origins no longer part of current canon from Spotlight:Blurr....

13. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

What happend in Blurr that would discount Megatron:Origins?

As for Ratbat, maybe he just figured a bunch oh humans about to die weren't worth a witty remark.

Hell, the only cons to address a human directly was Scavenger (Hook?) and he was just %$#^ing with them. ("We come in peace,,,NOT!")

14. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

And this is where the disconnect is finally starting to bug me. Kup's Spotlight was great, very tragic, and to just ignore it like that? Really? Maybe I'm not being fair, but I can't suspend my disbelief to accept that he recovered from that in a year.

That said, I still greatly enjoyed the issue. Namely:

This. I like Jazz and all, but I had never gotten the impression he was badass. Impression very much changed.

Hilights also include:

--The relationship with Sparkplug and Spike. (I was sad during the "because daddy does" speech.)

--RatBat. Creepy as hell there.

--Finally seeing Drift. He looks cool.

--And as much as it annoyed me, seeing Kup channeling Nick Fury was all kinds of awesome. (Love the "cigar.")

The only other real problem I have with the issues wasn't really with the issue itself, but the preview for next issue. To me it just screams "DRIFT = TRAITOR!!!!1eleven!" I may be wrong, but if I'm right, it just sort of kills the suspense.

15. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    For those of you itching to find out perhaps why the designs in AHM are closer to the toys, rather than their previous -ation series incarnations may be interested in this tidbit by Guido on the IDW boards http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopic.php?p=102461#102461.

And I'm not sure about the whole aspect of introducing
    the Matrix
    this early, but I guess I'll see how this pans out...

16. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    The only real problem I have with the different bodily forms,to be honest, is simply the fact that everybody is just ignoring the change. Not even a simple throw-away line about the Seekers downgrading from the state-of-the-art F-22 to the past it's prime F-15. Nothing, just *poof*

17. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    To be fair to the F-15, it's still a very capable fighter. Problem is, they're at the end of their upgradability cycle, and the F-22 far exceeds in just about every respect, and also has stealth abilities.

18. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Another great issue. The scenes with Spike and his dad were great. I really thought Ratbat had killed him, with how bad everything else has gone for the humans. Kup rules.

19. flamingunicron

flamingunicron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very nice, although why is Ratbat a tape again? Wasn't he not a tape in this series?

Also that would be so cool if Anti-Air tank things were transformers

20. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    In Megatron Origin (which was written with Dreamwave's continuity in mind, not IDW's) Ratbat was a normal robot senator dude at first, but by the end his spark was stuffed into a tape-looking rectangular thing. In Devastation issue 1, Ratbat's alternate mode was a Sony CD player, though we only saw his bat form.