All Hail Megatron #4 Discussion (Spoilers, of course)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Tim Formas, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    Can a series both excite and frustrate? Yes, it's called All Hail Megatron. #4 is much of the same. Like with past issues, I get more and more excited as I read through expecting there to be some big payoff. We get some partial answers to questions, but get more questions in the process. The cliffhanger was kind of a downer too. More doomed Autobots on Cybertron? Unless there's a surprise on who else was with Hot Rod, does it really change the status of the Autobots on Cybertron from the status at the beginning of the issue? Seems like it really went in one big circle with that plot point.

Although they hinted at several individuals being the traitor, seems like they're really trying to suggest it was Mirage who caused the Autobots to be in their current state. Bait to fool us? Truth? We'll see.

Unclear on how they got to Cybertron. Ironhide seems to suggest they were "shot" back to Cybertron by the Decepticons. Doesn't seem very Decepticon-like to defeat your longtime foe and let them live. There's definately got to be more to the story than we know there.

So, Prime's in the state that he apparently sacraficed himself for his troops. All available energy is being fed to him to keep him alive.

Nice execution on some of the character personalities though. Loved the focus on Wheeljack. Cliffjumper constantly watching a powered-down computer and then seeing that fraction-of-a-second warning light signal that Wheeljack sent was hysterical.

Guido's art was sweet once again.

Seems as if Drift is coming in Issue #5. While the arc is frustrating me thus far with not being more forthcoming with details or moving the plot along, I still get excited about waiting for the next issue to see what happens. Being a third of the way though the arc, some answers and plot movement should be happening soon.

2. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

the best line of the comic book: that was rash said but none other than cliffjumper! it was a good read. i guess hot rod is apart of the tangent with Springer, Kup Blurr and Drift. Also I think its Mirage who set them up. Mirage is an greedy snobby rich-bot first. Autobot second. I think he did it just like how it was in his spotlight. And I thought it was the Darkness that made Optimus into his condition. Hmm I hope we get a flashback issue to explain what happen.

3. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

Excellent!

This is what I've been waiting for since IDW obtained the license.

Some real characterization and dialogue.

To date, I have enjoyed what IDW have done, but always felt something was really missing, that the potential in the license was not really being met.

For the first time, I feel that the characters have been infused with the personality and appeal that drew me to them since their inception in 1984. There's more to the Transformers than epic battles and fancy weaponry, and Shane does an excellent job in this issue of bringing us back to the roots, so to speak.

The individual personalties of the bots really shine through here. Not a single laser is fired, yet I am left fully satiated by what transpires in this month's issue.

And you know what else has been missing far too long? Humor. Despite the glum circumstances of the Autobots, I laughed out loud several times in reading this, the first time I've done that in a while. Thanks to McCarthy's dialogue and Guido's outstanding work, we are reminded that the Autobots, even in the most dire of situations, can be charmingly funny. It's always been part of the Autobots appeal, and Shane/Guido do an excellent job of capturing that. You can tell these two guys are on the same page, which is great to see.

Kudos to Shane and Guido for taking me back to a time when the Transformers were so damn fun. This issue provides an excellent example of how Transformers, IMO, should be handled.

A solid "A". Glad I stayed aboard.

4. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

This issue proved to me what I long suspected: that part of the reason for the reboot is to tie the comics into a toyline, in this case, the Masterpiece and Classics/Universe lines. Aside from Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Mirage and Hot Rod, everybody else is very similar to their new toy designs (at least the ones that have gotten Classics/Universe toys). Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just not crazy about the way the went about it.

5. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definately the best issue of All Hail Megatron yet..

And it still royally ticked me off.

The lack of respect for (or any logical connection to) the IDW-verse, its characters and situations as they existed up to this point is majorly frustrating, combine that with AHM's unabashed, blinkered, near total hard-on for immitating Season 1 of the G1 cartoon and even when faced with what otherwise would have been a decent issue... it's just... UGH... so annoying.

I'm one of the ones who really enjoyed what Furman was doing with the IDW books. We had a mature and logical take on how a TF war might work, good characterization on humans and TFs alike, a great mix of G1 characters from big names to less well known folks, old concepts like Headmasters and Pretenders reimagined in cool new ways, and intreaguing new situations for TFs both on Earth and as part of vast spacefaring organizations.

What do we replace that with? A bad action movie plot on Earth that feels culled from the first DW-mini. Boring humans who read and act like characters in that bad action movie. Situations and actions on all fronts that constantly run counter to, or flat out contradict, everything we already know about this universe and these TFs with no explanation, including extreme G1 Cartoon fetishism in choice of Transformer cast, their alt modes, and situations. (And I LIKE the G1 cartoon). Ugh.

My review... If this had been its own new continuity or if IDW had come right out and labeled AHM as a sequel to the G1 Cartoon universe I'd be giving this issue a positive review/grade. As part of the existing IDW universe it fails on fiting into that universe so hard and annoingly that I actually want to grind my teath and I have to give it a "D" at best.

6. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

I just don't see the Sunbow comparison you're alluding to.

For one thing, the tone is certainly much grimmer. Autobots are standing there with missing limbs on a dead world whilst Earth is under full Decepticon control. Don't remember that in the cartoon.

If you liked what Simon had laid out before, I can understand the frustration in things not jiving perfectly with what's come before.

But saying this is the G1 cartoon universe again? Nope. Don't agree. I actually disliked the cartoon, and don't feel this issue is in any way reflective of the garbage from the cartoon.

If you're referring to the dialogue, I think that's the very thing that makes this issue great.

The fact that it actually departs from Furman's cookie-cutter characterization is the best thing AHM has going for it.

7. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's basically how I feel...the pretty art and quippy dialogue is all that's keeping me in, so far.

I'm finding it really frustrating that this big earth takeover is happening, and I don't get to see the reactions of third parties like the Machination.

Holding out hope that somewhere in the AHM story, it makes a really -solid- connection to the continuity I've been reading this whole time.

8. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I like the suspense the series gives. It's the biggest thing that keeps me interested in this story.

Still trying to get used to seeing Classics/Universe 2.0 designs on some characters but not for others. But that's just me nitpicking.

9. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    For a series that supposedly focuses on the Cons', I find it ironic that I enjoyed reading an issue, which primarily centered on the Autobots. Again, the art is what primarily draws me, because so far, McCarthy seems to setting up more questions than answers. And I'm not sure when if ever the series will answer why the IDW designs of the old have given way to the Classics/MP designs of AHM.

As for who is the "traitor?" I doubt it be Mirage...far too convenient and obvious. I mean, it could be, but I believe there's something more than meets the eye here...

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I loved the art yet again, but wish more exposition had occured. Cliffjumper is awesome.

11. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Then may I humbly suggest that your hopes will be dashed, unless IDW has Furman or McCarthy cobble together something.

12. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i like this issue, and i like this series...but like most, trying to shoehorn it into the main IDW universe was just an awful idea...there's numerous gaps and mistakes because of it...i'm just thinking of it as an elseworlds tale, until there's some real link between the two...

13. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    THANK YOU

It should not take four issues for the plot to get rolling. The only thing that has been holding me so far is the art.

14. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    AHM is the only thing keeping me on the TF comic bandwagon, im glad Furmans not writing anymore.

15. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    The guy who wrote this lives in my home town, which should make me proud. And yet...

I stopped reading at issue 3. Let me know if something happens, would you?

16. ArmedonLSD

ArmedonLSD TFW2005 Supporter

Alright!!!! Jazz as leader has serious potential. As my favorite Bot i know he has what it takes to light up their darkest hour. Mirage as traitor is sooooo overplayed I hope the traitor turns out to be someone more unexpected.

2 things that ticked me off about the issue

1) the new redesign of bots like sideswipe and SS, and Hot Rod wtf cartoon design not as cool as his viper mode in the ation series.

2) Read the letters to the editor... Seems like the picked the most bias letter praising AHM like it was written by the lord himself. The letters don't show any unease the fans of Tf comics are feeling about the reboot.s Anyone know if any of the writers of those letters are real, cause i have the feeling they weren't even real letters but just planted there ( maybe written buy the editor himself) READ ALL OF THESE LETTERS COMPLETE BULL

anyways prolly the best AHM issue yet.

17. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Things HAVE started happening, finally.

18. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Megatron claims that Earth has been conquered, rather than just the parts of the United States we've seen them conquering; his speech appears to take place just a few hours after last issue. Either he's exaggerating or widescale conquering of the rest of the planet isn't important enough to show on-panel.

19. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    ^^THIS^^

The dude pretty much hated everything IDW put out, but loves AHM, which is good, but no where near as good as what IDW has put out so far.....that dude is an idiot.

On to the issue. Loved the interaction between the 'bots. And for some reason, I really loved Cliffjumper in this issue, I dunno why... His actions, his personality, it was great. I also love his design and how they broke up his original all red color scheme with white stripes and checkerboard racing decals.

20. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Holy shit! The Autobots are ina piss poor shape. I wonder what happen to Hunter and Verity. And I wonder if Grimlock and the others are still alive.