All Hail Megatron #2 Review SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lord Shockwave, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

Enjoyed this issue.

Yes, it was a bit thin on actual story progression, but if we recognize that we are still in the introductory phases of story development, there are things to really like here.

For one, the dialogue is much more to my liking than what I've seen in Transformers comics of late. No repetitive phrases, no sense of characters sounding and talking the same. Shane is making a real effort to distinguish one character from another, which I applaud. McDonough did this during the DW run, and took flak for ripping off the cartoon voice pattern, but I really didn't give a damn, the characters were unique in their persona. And that's what's most important.

I was so disappointed to see Soundwave as a 'talker' in his Spotlight. Thank goodness Shane brought us back to the cartoon Soundwave, a cold calculating bot of few words. I got a warm fuzzy feeling reading Soundwave's dialogue, as I could just hear his 'robotisized' voice pattern. Yes, I'm really going to love Soundwave in this series, me thinks.

Historically speaking, I loathe human interaction in my TF comics, but I was actually intrigued by the human interaction here. In particular, the mention of the Machination, as it provides us with some explanation of how it is the humans are in disbelief about giant robots when they have been present since Infiltration. And of course mention of the Machination shows a willingness by Shane to keep this sucker in continuity and in line with what Simon laid down before.

Whereas the first issue just had some annoying human moments, I didn't find this to be true here. It's a tough task to balance human vs. Transformer stage-time, and come up with something appealing to most fans. We'll see if Shane can pull it off as the story moves forward. I would hope that as the story progresses, more and more attention will be given to the Decepticon interaction, but I can understand what Shane is trying to do right now with the humans this early in the game.

Really loved Frenzy's intro, with his mad dash across Central Park. It will be important for Shane to give us something different from what's preceded with these characters that have existed for over twenty years. To make them seem fresh, it's going to take character moments like this one with Frenzy to make us really give a damn about these guys.

The art continues to be top notch stuff from Guido. I have no doubt IDW was trying to develop more of a cartoon-like vibe in this series, and no artist is better at emulating that style than Guido. His lines are so crisp and clean. If Guido maintains this kind of quality for all twelve issues, it's going to be nice.

It will be crucial these next two issues that the plot moves forward. I understand a foundation is being laid, but each issue must move things along to be worth buying in a non-TPB way and be worth the money spent.

Overall, I enjoyed it, and aside from a lack of overall plot progression, I wasn't disappointed as I was with issue #1.

Give it a "B-". Looking forward to more.

2. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It is better than #1, that's for sure, though I still definitely found it lacking in some areas. Soundwave's voice, for one, is still completely unexplained and I find myself doubting they will explain it. Frenzy was also definitely different from what we've seen of him in the past (in Megatron: Origin)-- more of a bloodthirsty, insane berserker than a little punk. I like it, but again, explanations needed.

I also hope that in issue #3 we really start to see more of a real attempt to counter the Decepticons. A few rogue Autobots still on Earth, something dealing with the Sunstreaker headmaster clones being apprpropriated by the Army, SOMETHING. McCarthy's deepened it a little with the inclusion of Witwicky and Co., but the plot is still just generally "Decepticons destroy everything, humans look on in disbelief".

3. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

All Hail Megatron 2 Discussion(again, SPOILERS)

So Frenzy has screw hands. Or maybe not. I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be the soldiers hallucinating.
    No sign of the Autobots anywhere, which is actually a good thing. I hope the humans get absolutely trounced.

Not sure if I like Daniel (Danny) Witwicky as a gruff colonel.

4. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime Eat 'em up, eat 'em up, eat 'em up.

News Credits:
    That was Daniel? Guess I missed that detail...

Anyway, we're 2 issues into the 12, and I'm not seeing any actual plot emerging. At all. It just seems like destruction, and boring destruction at that.

How the hell did Devastator show up when the only Gestalt is Montructor, he was only in Secret Service hands for a short time, and then stolen? If Jetfire couldn't figure it out in however long an amount of time he had, I doubt the Decepticons could in a shorter span.

If it goes on like that for much longer, I'm not finishing the run, and I'm striking this from IDW canon, like Spotlight: Mirage.

5. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

Could a Mod merge this thread with the other ongoing discussion?

I am slow. Thanks!

6. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm enjoying the run so far as we have to take into account that some time has passed in the IDW-verse and they aren't going to just give everything away in the first couple of books. That said, the pace is a little slow and while it's good to see how the government handles this crisis, we all know that the 'Con's are going to wipe the floor with anything we have to throw at them.

The one thing that stood out to me in this issue was that Devastator was missing his chest wing. That just popped right out at me and pulled me right out of the story. It's like Guido was using the toy for a model but it was missing the wing. It's a nit-pic, I know, but it did stand out to me.

7. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    Guido's re-designed Devastator so that all the Gestalt parts are now internal and integrated into the bots

cant say i would really know where to fit that chest wing

besides, i dont think its that big of a deal. Slight re-designs [especially in a universe full of redesigns] doesnt really come off as big news to me

8. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm planning to go to my nearest comic book store shortly. They are saving
    the issues for me when it arrives. I'm not worry about the spoiler.

9. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Have the humans tried, you know...nukes?

10. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Veteran

News Credits:
    Given that it's just day one of the Decepticon attack, I doubt that issue would have even been approached yet.

Plus, the fact that at least 22 million humans in the New York City metropolitan area could die from it. I'm not sure if anyone could order the command to kill over 20 million people.

11. sunnyswipe

sunnyswipe autobot

News Credits:
    could anybody post a picture of devastator? im not gonna be able to get this issue for at least another week and ive heard all sorts of complaints about his size and re-design!
    cheers!

12. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Well, from a pragamatic view, it´s:

A: kill 22 million people and stop an alien invasion.

B: keep sending conventional weapons until it´s too late and the Decepticons take down the nukes silos/bombers.

13. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Veteran

News Credits:
    It's an option they would definately consider, but again....it's day one of the Decepticon invasion. The military has only started to consult with their higher ranking officials (as shown with Captain Witwicky). I don't think anyone would be like....

"OMG I just saw an alien"
    "Send the nukes!"

They'll try other measures less deadly to human life before they resort to the nukes. Watch them pull an "Independence Day" and infect them all with a virus. :lol 

14. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Plus, Soundwave has powered himself up enough to hack missile guidance systems. Nukes would simply be misdirected.

15. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Eh, I don't think we're allowed to post any kinda scans, just be patient.

His size IS utterly ridiculous, though. He's bigger than he was in DW's G1 volume 1. (I mean, LOOK at him next to those sailboats. He's, like, at least 6-7x bigger than he should be.)

16. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't get me wrong, changes are cool. (tho I didn't know he did the redesign) It's just that constructicons look so much like their G1 designs that I just assumed that he was using said G1 designs.

17. Foster

News Credits:
    I love how Hook was called "new guy" :lol  And Frenzy's being powered up is badass. I don't put it past Soundwave to experiment on his tapes, even at the cost of their sanity.

18. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Been waiting for this, and I am not disappointed. I love the direction and format the issues are taking, and if they carry on the way they do, it'll be a great run.

Firstly, the introduction of a Witwicky into the story... Unexpected, but least they didn't play up any comparison to the the G1 family (Not even sure if he's supposed to be one of the originals, or just a namesake.) Love his hardass Marines approach, he's now one of my favorite characters! And nice to see Andy (The pilot) not ending up as molten slag. I get the feelnig he'll be our window to the action!

As for the 'Cons themselves... Soundwave was bang on character, cold and menacing. Watching him unleash Frenzy (who was just to damn badass for words) was particularly frightening - I'd give him a Spotlight just for that entrance! And the grand (but honestly expected) entrance of the redesigned Devastator was very impressive. It's gonna be a lsobberknocker of a next issue!

Can't belive I just used "Slobberknocker"...

19. Foster

News Credits:
    Also, Ravage was the hands-down BEST I've ever seen him drawn. Without a DOUBT. He creeped me out, with the fangs, the spittle, completely believable as a metal demon who'd drink your blood and eat the meat raw and still warm. I even liked how he flinched away when Andy was firing on him. Ravage is feral, yet intelligent not to risk losing an eye.

The Decepticons not underestimating the human army makes them even more dangerous in this series. They are all about the invasion, all business. And I have NO idea what Megatron's up to, invading one of the most concentrated population centers in Earth, an island, cutting off civilian routes of escape. Hostages? Subjugation? Enslavement? To what end?

We haven't seen a hint of what he's planning. No monologueing, just deadly efficient tactics with no missteps and no prisoners. And the reveal that he has gestalt tech, is making brutal use of Devastator, and the Autobots are nowhere to be found. I'm hooked.

20. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Hey, what happened to the backstory introduced in Spotlight: Optimus Prime that explained gestalt combining technology was a dangerous experiment by Jhiaxus that resulted in the participants going insane. You don't think they dropped it like Ore-13 or the Decepticon facsimile agents in the US and Russian governments, do you?!?

In other news, July sales data for IDW came in:
    That's 1 copy less than Devastation #1 last year. Oops.