All Hail Megatron #15

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by UltraMagnus3786, Sep 16, 2009.

1. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Potential spoilers...

Writing: Both stories are superb. The first half tells of Prowl's involvement in Kup's recovery. I'll try to avoid spoilers because everyone should really read this on their own. Let's just say that Prowl is a statistician to the core, willing to circumvent morality for victory. Roche's characters are oozing with personality, and he subtly touches on concepts larger than the characters themselves, namely the lengths one will go to at war, but isn't heavy-handed about it. He even throws in a few furmanisms and references his own work (artwise) with a few Kup scenes. I think Roche successfully ties the Kup spotlight to AHM, and shows the reader that on many levels, Kup is not what he seems... story: 5/5

The Perceptor story on its own is slightly weaker, but it is enhanced in its coupling with the Kup arc. It basically tells how he turns from scientist to sniper, and some of his motivations for doing so. It's a pretty standard "debt-to-pay" story, but is a bit deeper if you think of his role in the Kup story. Additionally, some familiar faces turn up to 'unite' in battle. 4/5

Art: I'll keep it short and sweet. I'm not a big fan of Roche's art, I find it a bit toony at times. But that's just personal taste. Lines look good, colors look good, Kup in training looks awesome, and some of the Prowl shots are pretty sweet. 4/5

Casey Coller's art is much more to my liking-- it has the slick look of his work in Spotlight Blurr. Very nice stuff 4.5/5

All things considered, if you're a fan of any part of IDW's run, you should pick this up.

2. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    This is FINALLY a step back in the right direction for IDW. Fantastic issue all around.

Kup's story is very interesting. Not quite sure what to make of Prowl's, uh, tinkering, but it's a very interesting set-up that I'd like see the ramifications of. It's just too bad that basically none of these personalities showed up in AHM-proper. Prowl was just a sniveling mid-level cammander, Kup a pure badass, and Springer his loyal accolyte... if they were handled in the main AHM arc like Nick Roche handled them here wow what a difference that would have made. The art was fantastic, as well.

Perceptor's story wasn't quite as good, but it went a long way towards bridging the gap between Spotlight Drift and AHM. Too bad, though, that again none of Perceptor's personality showed up in the main AHM arc. Nice to know he's still got the brains (and can use them) as opposed to just being silent super sniper guy. Also, very nice to see that Sixshot isn't the only one of the Dead Universe's "guard dogs" to have re-awoken and regained some personality again. Though, an explanation as to how and why they're back would be cool... not to mention an explanation of where the rest of the Wreckers are... Nice art again.

3. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Denton said on the IDW boards that
    Bludgeon's
    return will be detailed in Last Stand of the Wreckers.

4. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

I really liked how they handled Kup's upgrade. It almost makes him seem like the Borg Queen, the way his old body resides within the new one.

Perceptor's line about adaptation was one that stuck out in my mind. He's all like "HELLO, we're TRANSFORMERS! DUH!"

And I REALLY like the way that throughout IDW's run, the writers have raised the bar on the using of computer/hardware/programming terms to talk about a robot's mental state. This issue has some of the best.

5. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Wow I might be the only person who wasn't floored by this story. I personally didn't like how they made Prowl a manipulative jack-hole. The story about Kup though was pretty neat though and I liked the second story. The only other problem that I had with this issue was that I wasn't exactly sure where this is supposed to fit. Is this supposed to be a flash back or is it taking place now?

6. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    -Oh come now. Prowl's ALWAYS been a jack-hole in IDW, so is it such a stretch for him to be a manipulative one?

-The first story is set during the missing year between Devastation and AHM. The second story appears to be set immediately prior to the flashback sequence in AHM #5.

7. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

Easily the best of issue of AHM so far. I wish the entire series could have been this good.

8. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wait, the Perceptor in the Kup story, that's before he was shot in the chest correct?

Also, I love Casey Coller's art. He just tied Don Figueroa as my fav TF artists.

I thought this issue was the best issue out of all the AHMs.

9. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

i'm loving guido (when he has a good colorist) and casey coller and his colorist. great art.

as for prowl, i think roche made the right decision to flesh him out a bit. throughout the -ation series and ahm, he was always a soldier/by-the-books kinda guy. roche's depiction is in line with that and has some great implications.

but i'm a little confused as to what exactly a pretender is in IDW's continuity? just some kind of outer shell, whether it be somewhat synthetic-organic, or metallic with nothing on the inside?

i love how perceptor's story follows up prowl's. it's as if in helping prowl, he's realized the nature of the war has changed and wants to distance himself (slightly) from the science and become a fighter.

10. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Yes, the Perceptor in the first story is before the events of Spotlight Drift. The events of the Perceptor story took place afterwards. So it goes: Kup's story->Spotlight Drift->Perceptor's story... with all of this taking place immediately prior to AHM.

Well, maybe not immediately...

11. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nick Roche is everything I love about Transformers comic books distilled down into one human being.

12. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I JUST read this... the first story.

HOLY.
    F***.

Why is Nick Roche not writing the new ongoing? I mean seriously.

I've only seen two of his stories so far, and both have been the best stand-out TF stories I've read since the IDW run began. His grasp of characters is EXCELLENT. He just gets it.

I really enjoyed all the elements of this story throughout... it managed at 10 pages to feel like a complete read... but my jaw literally dropped open when I got to the second last page, and the full implication of what Prowl had done hit me. I didn't quite see it coming, and it's awesome!

Exaaaaactly. It's not a particularly nice depiction of Prowl... but it does give him his due. You have to take him seriously. Better than being an ineffectual middle-management bureaucrat like he was in Infiltration.

I second this. I was wary of making statements like this after Spotlight KUP because I figured it might just be a fluke. But now I think I can safely commend the guy. I'm not even a big fan of his cartoony, rubbery art, but he seems to be bringing it more under control with this story, so no complaints from me!

zmog

13. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

*sigh* I used to love Prowl. At least, I used to love to DRAW prowl when I was a kid. My Dad had a 280ZX, he [Prowl, not dad] had those cool door wings, the red crest on his helmet. So what if I ocasionally gave him a sword?

I have to come to terms with the fact that I would never want to BE Prowl. I don't think I'd want him for a friend, and I sure wouldn't want him as a boss.

HAHAHAH

That's why I LOVE what they're doing with him!

Most of the time he was "second autobot from the right" and "Optimus's advisor" REALLY? Well Jazz has become Prime's go-to tactical guy. Ironhide is Prime's old friend. Where does that leave Prowl? Prowl is decidedly middle management. He's a bit of a jerk in that roll too. He's put in charge, expected to get results but he has NO charisma.

Without getting into (yet another fight on) my opinions on the current affairs in US politics. Prowl is becomming a very interesting, flawed, and possibly dangerous character. Similar to Karl Marx, Woodrow Wilson and,,,, OTHERS. : P Standing for a "new world order" where "freedom" is a liability for "the greater good"

"I have no problem with tyrany, as long as I am the tyrant."

(I think Prime's gonna have a problem with that)

14. SMOG

Agreed. Prowl was one of my very first TF's and he's always been a sentimental favourite. But he's not really an affable type... though strictly speaking, he's just supposed to be quiet and innocuous.

This persona is a good fit for him. Jazz is Prime's James Bond. Ironhide is less a ranking officer and more an old friend, a rank-and-file kind of guy that helps Prime "keep it real". Prowl... well Prowl really SHOULD be the "mastermind" of the Autobots. The long term strategist who pulls strings... in this case, almost literally.

I'm loving the way that Roche has a sharp insight into the characters... not only are they distinctive, but it's cutting too. Prowl's monologue reveals as much about others as it does about himself. His comment about the "streak of bravado" that characterizes the Autobots was brilliantly on-target, and made me laugh.

Roche also never turns it into an facile ethical statement... largely because Prowl is so damn RIGHT. Even though his methods are questionable, there is still something admirable about him.

What's cool about this story (though I doubt McCarthy was factoring it in his writing), is that it casts new light on Prowl's backseat role in AHM. Makes you wonder how much of Kup was really Kup. I really hope this is handled well in the stories that follow. It could be turned into a broad morality melodrama, but I think maintaining the ambiguity makes it much more interesting.

zmog

15. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

SMOG, ask anyone you know who served in the military about the axiom about "Old Sergents"

Something along the line of "a Master Sergent's primary job on a battlefield is to keep the 'green' officers from getting killed in their first week on the job." :D 

It has something to do with the division of enlisted and officer core mentality. I'm told that since the US army is all voluenter these days, it's not the same relationship that existed around the Vietnam war.

Anyway, that's the vibe I get off of the Prime/Ironhide relationship.

Prowl is looking more Agent Smith (Matrix). Oooooh *shiver* I should re-read that commic with HIS voice in my head. Holy #$%^.

I like that the new approach is allowing characters to "develop" this could prove most interesting. Prowl is not looking like a "good" guy anymore. This path could take him to some dark places indeed.

16. SMOG

The thing is, I think this could be a dangerous thing... because falling into the "fall from grace" cliche leads to a far too simple plotline. I think I'd rather if Prowl didn't cease being a "good guy", but rather became the sort of good guy whose goals are still unquestionably noble, but has mysterious ways of achieving those goals that others may not agree with. It's a tricky thing, but turning him into a "villain" whose power goes to his head removes too much ambiguity.

Plus, didn't Marvel already go there with Iron Man and Civil War? I wouldn't want to see it become a repeat of that mess. I'd much prefer to see Prowl remain in the background, orchestrating things for the greater good, but perhaps not without it's costs.

zmog

17. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I like what I'm hearing about Prowl. Visually, Prowl has always been one of the most iconic Transformers. Characterization on the hand, He has either been portrayed as middle management (DW, IDW) or poor substitute leader (Marvel G1). It is nice to hear that a writer is playing up the military strategist role. It's be nice if they continue to portray him as secretly leading the Autobots during AHM contrary to the beliefs of Jazz and Kup.

I might go pick this one up. I still want a Prowl Spotlight though.

18. SMOG

It's not quite as straightforward as that... but without giving too much away, it's implied that he might have had more input into events at that time than suggested by his role.

For what it's worth, the 11-page Prowl story is worth the price of admission. It feels almost like a full read, while the Perceptor story really just feels like a lightweight back-up feature. That was my impression at least... your mileage may vary. :) 

zmog

19. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Fan....TASTIC.

Easily, EASILY the best issue of AHM so far. Both stories were fantastic, Kup's particularly so. Don't have anything else to say other than what's already been said regarding that.

NICK ROCHE FOR PRESIDENT (of IDW's Transformers).

20. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Wow, what a difference when it comes to writing. I felt that Roche's Kup "reborn" spotlight had more characterization and story compared to 6 issues of the regular AHM storyline. Plus, I love how Roche and Roberts were able to harken back to Prowl's logical roots...almost like the Autobot foil to Shockwave in one aspect.

And the Perceptor story by Tripton was much better than I expected and fit in nicely with the Kup arc. Casey's crisp art helped as well.