All Hail Megatron 13 Preview.

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Dys, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I know it's probably going too far to assume this is a sign of a huge shift towards pure movie-injected aesthetics at large for TFs, but I still have a tiny little worry. It's not even that I don't dig the movie look that much, I just don't want the whole feel of the brand to change just because one part of it has more exposure. It'd be like when the X-Men comics suddenly had everyone in black leather after the first X-Men film came out. Almost alienating, as if the thinking is "the mainstream way or no way."

Finished. DONE.

2. brawn1228

brawn1228 Well-Known Member

Those faces look absolutely TERRIBLE!

What are they thinking?!

Dear God I hope they don't continue going down this road of style!

Ironhide and Prime look horrible like that. Their faces look frightening.

PLEASE IDW SCRAP THAT STYLE FOR THE FACES, AND PRETEND THAT THEY NEVER EXISTED!

3. orionpacks85

orionpacks85 autobot85

Ebay:
    mouth is terrible.

Optimus Prime does not have a mouth. I don't care what Marvel did back in the day. They were done by artist who had no clue what Transformers were and were just using that book to prove to editor's they were worthy of working on titles like X-Men or Spider-man. The Generation2 comic was even worse, Lobo (and Simon Bisley) was big back then and they were trying to copy his art. So I don't buy anything that was drawn there (apologies to Manny Galan).

Now if someone like, Shoji Kawamori, said he had a mouth then I'd buy it.

Until then, Prime doesn't have a mouth!!!!!!!!
    Neither does:
    Wheeljack
    Grimlock
    Shockwave
    Soundwave
    Bombshell
    Longhaul
    Scavenger
    Scrapper
    Cosmos
    Powerglide
    Seaspray
    Warpath
    etc....

4. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

old robots get cracks in the face the same way old men have wrinkles? :p 

5. DON

DON Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Maleable faces is so 'geewun' :cool: 

6. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    :lol  Well played.

7. NATO-BOT

NATO-BOT Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Darn strait! :thumb 

... and every real Transformers iteration since then too! (including most of your stuff)

We love ya' Don ;) 

8. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh but they can get through when it's, y'know, actualy g1 :thumbs2: 

9. NATO-BOT

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I was going to say that too, but I didn't want to be toooo snarky.

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Yeah, I think the teeth are the most awkward thing about it. After generations of serene faces, anime-super-robot-style, it seems weird to have grotesque grimaces in place of lips.

Ah. In that case, I agree. It lessened the impact of Prime's plight when *ZAP* off-camera, suddenly he's all better again! Woot! That could have been handled better.

I think the idea is that he looks old and decrepit. But yeah... there's something "off" about it. It's interesting as a novelty, but not something I like in the broad sense.

I think this IS sort of the kind of compromise I would have loved to see in the movies... much more so than what we got, in some characters especially.

However, a compromise that works, or indeed.... is even NECESSARY on a live-action screen, is not the same compromise that needs to be used on a comic-book page. Two different mediums may demand two different approaches.

I'm not completely against this. I like the idea of it. There's just something disconcerting about the way they turned out. Chalk it up to those myriad small decisions made in the drawing process.

THIS. Completely agree.

zmog

11. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    No, Don did Defiance issue 3 as well. Pat Lee has never done any work for IDW, and God willing, never will.

Well, IDW's sales figures for Transformers comics aren't too impressive.

Still the most prolific and respected TF writer. *folds arms* :p 

Okay, okay I didn't like Maximum Dinobots.

12. thygriever

thygriever Optimus Prime

News Credits:
    i like the art! If that's Don then that's even better. Anyways I like how he draws Prime. I just don't fancy that mouth too much. It still weirds me out. Prime DOESN'T need a mouth in my book

13. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

I don't like the faces. The robot forms being different and looking more up to date, I'm all fine with that. And the body designs are actually pretty cool in these preview shots. But I can't get past the faces--they just don't work.

And while Prime has shown his face in other continuities, I never liked the idea of G1 Prime showing his. And it certainly doesn't work for me here.

14. NATO-BOT

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    By "aren't too impressive" do you mean aren't DW's first year impressive? When DW re-vamped G1 every TF fan on the planet picked one up and fallowed it for a wile. When they went under it left a bad taste in every ones mouths. Or do you mean not as good as Superman, Batman, Spiderman, or the X-men? Come on did anyone expect that could go on for long? Give credit where credit is due. IDW is number three after DC and Marvel. No small feat. And it likely has a great deal to do with Transformers.

15. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Sorry DON. Not digging the facial designs. Not at all. Hope this style doesn't stick around long.

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Marvel made optimus prime. Shoji Kawamori didnt. kawamori made battle convoy. he's not an authority on anything transformers, aside from masterpiece starscream.

if marvel says prime had a mouth, he had a mouth. but marvel never said he had a mouth in G1. he had a speaker-type-hole where his mouth would have been in his power master form. in G2, yeah, he had a mouth. we saw teeth.

and then masterpiece prime had a mouth. something made by hasbro and takara.

G1 optimus prime has a mouth. the people who made the character (marvel, hasbro and takara) said so. IDW is also saying it now. deal with it. you didnt make optimus prime, you dont get to decide.

which is fine for a G1 comic.

I love the movie designs, AND your art, but the faces just look awful here. everything else? stellar. everything else about the art is flawless and awesome. the bodies, the helmets, they're great. but the faces are out of place. they do not match the rest of the designs. they dont match how things were a single issue ago.

thats the problem.

but IDW seems to be all about "sudden, unwanted change" with transformers, so, par for the course, I guess.

17. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Not impressive as in "AHM is the best selling series yet it struggles to move 12,000 copies". Since IDW has not (to my knowledge) released its sales figures, we can only go by Diamond's independent estimates.

18. wchen34

wchen34 Well-Known Member

While movie prime with mouth looks noble to me, this prime looks so weird and evil....don't know why.

19. Hippobotimus

Hippobotimus Well-Known Member

I likey! I'll be picking this series up in trade when it's released.

20. skidz180

skidz180 Observer

I do not agree with you. I take movie prime without faceplate over this one without faceplate any day.