All Hail Megatron 13 Preview.

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Dys, Jul 16, 2009.

1. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lightning strikes, thunder rolls. A horse whinnies.

Seriously, though, people. As bad of an experimentation as some (not me) believe this to be, Pat Lee's art will always be at the very bottom of the barrel.

2. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Yuck. I'll have to see in person if part two is drawn this way as well. I dropped the movie books over this style.

3. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

curious new style. i'll give it a shot. and furmanism as the first line? i'm sold.

4. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    yeah you're right. I still don't like this art, but at least Prime and Ironhide don't have hands three times the size of their heads

5. megatronski

megatronski Flamewar's strongest soldier

News Credits:
    Ironhides face scares me

6. Randomus Prime

Randomus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dear Optimus Prime,
    Please keep face plate ON!
    Thank you. :drunk 

7. Ultrawave

Ultrawave Hey look, I have a title

News Credits:
    Wow. Typically I dont bother looking at the news stuff for All Hail Megatron (because I'm not much of a G1 person, I'm more Unicron trilogy-Movie person), but I liked the art this issue because of the movie touches they added.

>___> If Hasbro is having them do this to all the stuff, then they might get me into the other Transformers series as well. I love the style. I always thought that the "liquid metal" faces all looked the same(before Animated used different facial shapes like the BIIIGGG Chins) minus a colored bit on their chin and the helmet shape maybe. With the Movie style, you can have more differences in teh faces, even if it does just come down to the placement of panels in their face.

But all those different panels gives tehm an opportunity to be more expressive than liquid metal; depending on the placement, the parts move differently, so you end up with a unique way for each Transformer to express teh same emotion, while still being recognizable. They're not all going to look the same, even if there are limits to what they can do with adding movie touches to G1 and other designs, while making the characters recognizable. I want to see this done more! Thats just my opinion though, >__>; I prefer movie style over the blocky robots of the past series

Though I do agree that Prime's helmet is too large for his face when he removes his faceplate.

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

INTERESTING...

I like these kind of background bits, and these moments between characters. Too often this kind of thing is omitted, and it's assumed that everything we ever had to know about the characters was transmitted through the old cartoons... but it's nice to explore these relationships.

Not sure if I would like to see an ongoing G1 series in quite this style, but it's certainly a neat style for some anthology work. In terms of bringing a more "functional" aesthetic to TFs, EJ Su is my favourite. This amlmost goes too far for my tastes.

The thing I don't quite dig is the way that this anthropomorphizes TFs... with the suggestion that they all have faces under those faceplates, and they "drink" energon like whiskey. Nothing new though...

Prime's face looks sort of hideous that way... no wonder he wears a mask. :) 

zmog

9. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Pure awesome.
    Good character interactions, amazing art. I like the super detailed style, Don is an amazing artist.
    I look forward to picking this up.

10. tehKOREANdude

tehKOREANdude Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    don is a very talented artist. i loved his work in war within and all of his illustrations that were used in MTMTE. I also love his work here...asides from the face. seeing don's work in the TF movie one prequel, i wasn't as impressed as i was with his other works.

11. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How much longer for Vol 2 TPB?

Is Pat Lee the one who did part three (I think) of Defiance? Where everyone was super skinny and creepy looking?

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I fucking hate it.

whats the point of having don onboard if he's going to be forced to disfigure characters like this?

VISUAL CONTINUITY IS IMPORTANT. and characters keep getting redesigned in this damn comic without explanation. its annoying. its hard to follow.

the movie aesthetic applied to the comic isnt going to help it at all. the people who would be brought into transformers by the movie wont know what the hell is going on (incidentally, just like the people who have been following it), people whose childhood interest in transformers is reignited by the movie who will pick up the comic are going to expect to see the transformers as they remember them, or better, which would best be served by don's normal TF art style, or guido guidi's.

and ontop of it all, we still dont know why the hell optimus is alive. and thats been eating at me for a loooong time.

I think I'm just gonna give up on the book.

don, if by chance this style change was your choice, well, sir, bad decision.

13. frilly toothpick

frilly toothpick Decepticrumb

the heads look a little off, but before i judge too harshly, ill have to see what the rest of the comic art will look like.

14. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This looks like ass. I nearly fell off my chair when I read it was Don's work - did someone break his hands?

Kinda puts me off completely - bring back Guido...

15. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I really like the faces and designs.
    I like the styles being applied.
    I'm glad Editorial isn't forcing particular look and allowing interesting TF visions to be printed. The art, bring it on.

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    The bodies I don't mind, but the faces... Optimus without his mouth plate on there kinda looks like Megatron. All those panels on the faces lose the ability to give an expression with just a simple single added line that can turn a smiling mouth into a smirking one or whatever. The LED eyes look evil and beady as well, which on someone like Optimus is a big mistake. Now they look too machiney and a bit soul-less.

17. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

The omnibus is just short stories that tie into the AHM storyline. Basically like a series of MOSAICs or Spotlights in an anthology format. In that context, I think a bit of interpretation on the part of the artists is alright.

Heck, often the appeal of one artist over another is the particular way they draw a character, and while we see that in superhero comics as well, it's especially common in TF series.

I don't particularly like this "movie styled" approach, but the characters are still somewhat "on model". They are still interpretations of the G1 designs, just with a different "flavour". So unless Megatron turns up looking like a fiddler crab, I'm not going to worry too much about "movie influences".

Also, with regards to continuity, Prime was never dead. He was only gravely injured. The big secret was that the Matrix was lost too. Prime eventually pulled through... he didn't come back to life.

However, I will concede that his recovery was a bit of a case of "he got better". The Autobots were in a pretty serious jam... injured, in disrepair, lacking energon and resources... how Optimus went from "critical" to "ship-shape" behind the scenes is a bit WTF?

zmog

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the bodies look great.

the faces are what kills it, yeah. especially ironhide's pirhana teeth.

I didnt say he was dead. I said we never found out why he's alive. he was near death, and getting worse, and then all of a sudden he's walking around just fine. thats what I have issue with.

19. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm reminded of Cyclonus from the Revelations series. Ironhide looks similarly ghoulish and it doesn't look right on one of the good guys.

20. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Eh. Looks alright. I'll check it out in trade form.

Happy to see Don back!