ALL HAIL MEGATRON #1 Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Predakwon, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Did anyone pick this up today?

Art is great, but the Deceps going back to 80s style designs bothers me. But in the letters pages, IDW says that will addressed.

Also, what concerns me is SPOILER:

Sunstreaker is on the second to last page.

Not sure if this will be addressed in Revelations or an editing error.

2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Actually it I'm still not sure it's in continuity. They seem to be a mix of Alt, Mp, and g1 designs, as well as Idw concepts.

3. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Well, other than Chris Ryall and the writer saying continuously that it's in continuity, and that fact they say there's change ups that will be addressed, and it's set one year ahead so stories like Maximum Dinobots and Revelations can take place... I'm not sure where I'm going with this other than it's in continuity.

Anyway, I'm PO'd; my store didn't get a copy.

4. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Everything I've heard from IDW (as I remember) is that it is in continuity. But they seem to use the 1 year later as their 'out' to explain away anything wierd you may see.

They've said that Revelation and the upcoming Maximum Dinobots will close out the loose ends we currently have, but it remains to be seen if the conclusions there will set it up for the events in AHM, or if AHM will explain the events in the year leading up to it.

I liked this issue, but my major concern is that (even though it is 12 issues), if the remaining issues are as short as #1 was, do they have enough space to flash back to the setup (especially with what is going on with the autobots), while still telling a good story moving forward.

5. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I also thought it seemed short but atributed it to being mostly action and little prose. For reference I have not read previous stories. I am loving the amount of destruction the 'cons are dishing out on earth.

I read somewhere that this story was originaly suposed to be standalone but was later decided it would be in continuity. Is this so or just some fanboy idea I may have read?

6. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Quite frankly, next to the last issue of "Hearts of Steel", I thought this was the worst original TF comic issue IDW's put out. Basically, if you saw the preview of the issue, you saw the issue, with the exception of the last panel. The Decepticons attack, destruction ensues. That was the ENTIRE freaking plot of the issue. And the ONE revelation that they had in the entire issue-- Optimus Prime's quite possibly dead-- they had to use two pages to show, even though the way presented it two panels would have been enough.

Oh, how I wish we had gotten the Dead Universe taking priority over AHM. It still can obviously change for the better, but I doubt IDW is going to take in more readers with this issue if they're anything like me. Color me unimpressed (with the story, the art was Guido, so that was top-notch as always).

Soundwave also speaks like he did in the G1 cartoon, with no explanation given whatsoever. IDW has a LOT of loose ends to tie up, and given how "minor" many of them are, I'm really doubting all of them will eventually end up tied. It's like Shane McCarthy only paid the bare minimum of attention of the previous comics in the IDW-verse and just created a comic taking off from his memory of the G1 toon.

7. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

What confuses me about this comic is the changes they've made between it and the preview we saw in "Focus On Decepticons". The first change comes after the Constructicons transform. The guy holding the cellphone says "Man, this ain't right" in AHM, but he says "Hey man, this might be bad" in the preview. Next, after the Constructicons drop their ruse of kindness, we see the destruction left in their wake. The preview gave us BLOOD, but it is conspiciously absent in AHM. Finally, the banter between Megatron and Starscream is slightly different. I would have liked it if Megs' line "at least TRY to keep up" was left in. It added to the tone of the scene in the preview, but alas was absent in AHM. These changes make me wonder about other things that may have been planned for the book, but were later cut out.(dialogue between Prowl and Jazz, perhaps?)

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Hey, you're right! I thought I was remembering it wrong, but the pages actually are different!

Either way I'm not crazy about it, but I do find myself wondering about some of the decisions... is there an attempt to make this a kinder and friendlier apocalyptic Transformers story for the tween market that might have just gotten turned onto Transformers by the recent Bay movie? Is this IDW pandering to get a wider market?

I agree with mostly everything you just said.

All I can say about All Hail Megatron so far is... Weak.

As much as I had been growing tired of Furman's style, at least his work for IDW felt like it was written by an adult, not a 10-year-old boy who thinks having people die makes his storyline "dark". I'm really not seeing anything fresh or interesting or promising in AHM... the dialog is cliche-ridden and clumsy, the story set-up simplistic, the "OMG our weapons are useless! It sucks to be human!" plot device tiresome... and sorry, but I'm just not excited about Guido's art.

I think he's fine for Dreamwave-style pin-ups and covers, but when it comes to interior art, I'm not sold. It's not bad, but it doesn't grab my attention...

As for continuity... the "in-continuity" thing is a completely transparent crock of bull. It's very obvious that the creative team had no interest whatsoever in following up on any of the preceding IDW material. It's kind of insulting to try and play this as a legitimate progression from the last story arc... more likely just a scam to keep us buying it. Beyond the most superficial elements, this feels like nothing more than a G1 cartoon with delusions of grandeur. Simon Furman isn't perfect, but I think this series is going to be a big step backwards.

Wow... that was a rant, wasn't it? I literally just put the comic down 15 minutes before writing this, so my feelings are pretty fresh. I've got all the IDW stuff so far. I was pretty ambivalent about Stormbringer, Megatron Origin and some of the Spotlights, but All Hail Megatron, I think I'm just gonna drop right now.

Voting with my dollar, and all that...

zmog

9. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    IGN panned it in their review. 5.1 out of 10.

[sarcasm]FFN IS SHOCKED AND HORRIFIED BY THESE TURN OF EVENTS.[/sarcasm]

PS, FFN's Sarcasm is not directed at you, SMOG.

10. TreKain

News Credits:
    My biggest qualm with the whole thing is that after 2 years of setting up a rich multi-layered universe, and right as we get to the real action of the story, they go and seemingly reboot the whole thing. (Yes, I know its not totally done yet, but the remaining 3 Revelations and 5 Dinobot Issues seem hardly enough time to resolve everything).

It actually feels a little like when the DW ongoing story just stopped, then IDW rebooted it. Only this time we haven't switched companies.

11. soundwavempl

soundwavempl Toy Addict TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really enjoyed All Hail Megatron. It got me really excited about Transformer comics again. Its nice to read a more accurate G1 comic again. I love the fact that they used the Transformer Classics Universe Prowl, Sideswipe, and Sunstreaker toy models in the issue, a great marketing tactic plus I like the fact I can buy the character's toy that is depicted in the comic.

I am so going to enjoy AHM, more so than this Dead Universe I keep hearing about. I find zombie stories boring and lame.

As much as I liked Stormbringer, Megatron Origins, and the Spotlights, I think All Hail Megatron might just be my favorite IDW arc yet.

12. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I'm not sure what you mean by accurate. Accurate to which G1? I'm pretty sure the original Marvel comic was more interesting and complex than "Decepticons blow stuff up and humans can't do anything about it. The End."

Your comment sounds like you stopped reading Furman's storyline awhile ago. The Dead Universe storyline doesn't have any zombies at all.

13. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    The artist was amazing and really made this issue better than average.
    The writer absolutely was not helping. There was no subtly in this issue except by the artists layouts and story telling.

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    It has to be Soundwave's return just as much as the Autobots' departure that is empowering Megatron to plop down in Times Square and basically conquer the island in an hour. That trick with jamming the missile targeting systems was brilliant, and belivably within Soundwave's powers.

I'm loving the depection of the Masterpiece seekers and Universe Autobots blended in with Su's designs. I don't need my hand held as to why Soundwave, Sunstreaker, the Constructicons and Insecticons are suddenly present, or why Prime's on life support. I tend to judge my book on what's within the cover, not what is missing and I expect to see the answers to these questions in time.

If McCarthy chooses to distract me with more of Megatron giving fighter jets a taste of the back of his hand, more power to him.

I wonder if Megatron will be able to conquer the planet with only the humans defending it. What if they try nukes?

Glad Guido's back, I missed him. :D 

btw, this isn't any slower than Infiltration #1. Fuck of a lot more actual Transformers in the book, though.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  15. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like how when we first see the Autobots, Prowl, Sunstreaker, Sideswipe and Ironhide are their Classics 2.0 forms, I wonder if any of the others are Classics 2.0 concepts?

16. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Possibly Hound. Which would make sense as he and Sideswipe likely went to Earth together to rescue Sunstreaker.

Ratchet too, if Ironhide's is the Universe version.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  17. TreKain

News Credits:
    Did anyone else notice Cliffjumper (head) with Alt Rodimus body?

18. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    At first I thought it was just the Bumblebee design done with a Porsche, but you're right!

19. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I did. I thought it was kinda odd that they had so many Classics designs for the Autobots, but then had a strange Cliffjumper and a very G1 looking Bumblebee.

Overall I agree with Fosterlager. I kinda wondered where Soundwave came from (when did he come back?) or why Sunstreaker was on Cybertron, but that's ok. I don't need them to fill in every single detail right away. If its not explained by the end of the series, I will be disappointed, but right off the bat I think it's good to leave the audience asking some questions.

20. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

Oh, I know! Maybe it will be explained through the magic of ZONE ENERGY, like we saw in Spotlight: Mirage. We all thought that story seemed out of continuity too! Perhaps they'll link the two stories together using... umm...

...yeah, I got nothing.