All Encompassing Godzilla Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Blaster_Prime, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    The more I hear about this movie, the more I wish they'd never portrayed Godzilla as a heroic king of monsters. If he was instead a vengeful and/or destructive force of nature like the initial trailers made him out to be, then a showdown with an actual guardian of humanity in Kong would have been far cooler.

• Like Like x 1
  2. UltraPrimus56

UltraPrimus56 In the ruins of paradise

Legendary Godzilla is more apathetic than anything else; he really just tolerates humanity, and nothing more. Every action he did was for the sake of his own survival, and inadvertently helped the humans out a little bit. Notice how he never paid mankind any type of attention, except for when Ford was literally directly in his face, which was the equivalent of us noticing an ant crawling on the floor. If we were to lash out and attack Godzilla, I'm more than certain that he wouldn't hesitate to put us back in our place.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    It was for the sake of ingrained rivalry. The MUTOs did nothing to him, and they weren't really a threat to his being, he just hated them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, Split's right, LegendGoji is literally described as being the apex predator in the relationship between him and the Mutos if I'm remembering right. Godzilla went out of his way to hunt them down.

5. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I like the idea that Godzilla is so used to hunting them that, even when there's no benefit to him, he can't help but just track them down and murderize them to death.

I think LegendGoji is my favourite Godzilla perosnality (well he's my favourite Godzilla period) just because of his irrational hatred of other monsters.

He doesn't want to just be number one, he wants to be the only one.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

It's an interesting relationship, really. Yes, Godzilla is described as the apex predator, and he's certainly more than a match for any individual Muto; he tosses the male around like a rag doll, and he easily overpowered the female despite her reasonable closeness in bulk to him. But recollect how the skeleton of the other zilla' at the start had been broken apart from the inside by a batch of Muto babies, and how the two Mutos working together were capable of overpowering Godzilla. Seems like Mutos were just as capable of hunting and killing 'zillas, using them as incubators for their babies no less, as a zilla is capable of hunting and killing them, making their relationship quite double-edged.

7. Tkemert20

News Credits:
    Wayyyy back when the original script leaked it made the Mutos out to be parasites to Godzilla's species and wiped out a lot of them. It was more reminiscent to Kong and the Skullcrawlers honestly.

8. UltraPrimus56

UltraPrimus56 In the ruins of paradise

But they were, though. If Ford hadn't blown up the nest to get the female's attention, then she and the male would have kept Godzilla pinned to the floor, and ultimately killed them. He wasn't just hunting for the sake of hunting; that isn't a good use of his energy. The Mutos were a threat to Godzilla's well being and territory, and he obviously couldn't have that. As stated, the Mutos are ancient, parasitic rivals of Godzilla's kind, that would burrow into their flesh and lay their eggs. Obviously they had to have been some kind of threat to Godzilla, or else he wouldn't have wasted any time tracking them down across the globe to eliminate them. One-on-one, yeah, Godzilla was dragging both the female and the male, but he clearly would have been killed when they teamed up against him, if Ford hadn't inadvertently intervened.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    But think to before that. Godzilla only surfaced after the MUTO's showed up. They never went after him. He picked that fight.

10. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yeah, the MUTOs were a threat to him, but that wasn't the only reason he faught. The prequel comic shows him hunting down monsters that surface on Earth, and is reffered to as a protector. Obviously it was originally intended to be just a predator parasite relationship, but evolved during production into Godzilla being mankind's protector.

11. Tkemert20

News Credits:
    To be fair I didn't think the prequel comic was canon anymore, I thought Skull Island retconned some stuff about Monarch? I could be wrong though, I really don't remember.

12. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Seems aspects of that remained. I definitely got an Alien vibe when they noted the skeleton had been broken from the inside, and first timed I watched the film, I honestly thought the emphasis on the pulsating nest meant the Mutos were gonna try and force Godzilla into it so the babies could latch on and burrow into him. Freaked me out, man.

Well, the best defence is a good offence. The parasitic nightmares can't kill you if you kill them first.

13. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

I think it was a little bit of both of these. Yeah, the MUTO's were a potential threat to Godzilla, not just his life but his dominance. Knowing that these things were apparently some kind of parasite that plagued Godzilla's species in their time, it's not unreasonable to think that Godzilla was motivated as much by hatred of them as much as he was by securing his own survival. He's the grouchy old man who is getting too old for this, but he rather likes living and he already has enough reason to hate these things.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Check out the Printer's Proof I won at NDK's charity auction today. OH YEAH!!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  15. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Another veteran Toho actor died today. Yoshio Tsuchiya. He was the commander of the X aliens in Invasion of Astro-Monster, Shindo in Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, in Matango, Ultra Seven, Destroy All Monsters, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DarkEnergon22

DarkEnergon22 Well-Known Member

Just got back from my holiday in Japan. Spent most of my time in Shinjuku. Whilst I was there I visited the Hotel Gracery and saw the Godzilla head statue, the new Toho cinemas and all the Godzilla related exhibits they have in there. Really cool stuff.

I visited Akihabara and picked up some figures, a Final Wars Gigan and a Flying Heisei Gamera. Picked up some Japanese edition DVD's for Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla, Terror of Mechagodzilla and Varan The Unbelievable. Also soundtracks for Shin Godzilla and Best of Akira Ifukube.

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Saved Shin Godzilla for something to watch if I got con crud and was stuck home recovering.

Perhaps I'm just a really weird person but I actually enjoy having all these different takes on Godzilla. There are versions that I love better than others but Godzilla is one of those characters that seems to thrive on trying different things. It doesn't seem like a real issue to have the American, Japanese and animated Godzilla being different.

As long as there is the breath weapon and classic music lets see what Godzilla can stomp next.

Also is it just me or is the Game of Thrones team Godzilla fans given the last episode this season?

• Like Like x 4
  18. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I like that we have different versions, but there are definitely some versions I don't like, but not because they're different.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Half Human has an odd history as Toho was apparently embarrassed by the movie due to people getting offended by it, so they have never released it on home video. This also means obtaining a copy of it is near impossible and even the version I have acquired is in pretty awful shape. With that said, is this film about an abominable snowman really worth the trouble necessary to obtain a copy, or should it remained shelved forever? Watch to find out.

20. ShinGi

ShinGi Well-Known Member

Yeah that really reminded me of the atomic breath