aligned continuity

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by grunge, Oct 13, 2011.

1. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    okay so they're trying to make 1 streamline universe for our cybertronian friends. 1 history. 1 universe.

COOL!

history CAN repeat itself. hasbro/takara are playing "primus" in making this all happen.
    well ... WHAT DONT WE WANT THEM REPEATING?

actionmasters.
    i remember getting these and trying to transform them ... to no avail.

thats my gripe. what dont you want wiped from the universal stream as "all become one"?

2. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    I really don't understand what you're trying to say.

3. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    well, theyre making 1 contunity right? well what would you like them to pretend never happened?
    i say action masters.

4. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    They aren't making everything one continuity, they are trying to make WFC and prime one continuity.

5. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    You forgot the novels too.

Really I think they should just cut out WFC and say Exodus and Exiles are the Prime prequels. Things match up better and those were actually written with the intent of establishing a foundation for this new continuity.

6. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What I don't want. Well Headmasters is a stupid idea.

Also forcing WFC into Prime is a bad idea too.

7. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    Headmasters are awesome. HEAD ON!!!

8. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Pretenders.

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Dumb Dinobots can go away. Thankfully the comics throughout the franchise have tried to keep somewhat intelligent Dinos alive. It's the animations that keep making them into braindead morons.
    Bumblebee not having a proper voice I can easily do without.
    White Ultra Magnus inner 'Optimus' robot. It was okay when it was just the core of Magnus in his armour, but once it started wandering around by itself I wasn't a fan.
    I could live with Pretenders if they and the robots inside them were smaller, like MiniCons. Fifty-foot humans just ain't gonna work as a disguise.

10. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Aren't "Robot Replicas" like the modern-day Actionmasters?

11. Louk

Louk Well-Known Member

Pretenders work in the IDW comic, organic armor fusion that makes you go crazy or technological armor which makes you more powerful. Someone like Super Fire Convoy is essentially an IDW Pretender. The idea works for Transformers, plenty of dudes have super power up armor, and could make for some good toys.

Something I don't like: Organic *masters. The idea works when it's Mini-cons attaching to make you more powerful, but keep those filthy fleshys out of there.

12. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    yes the *masters should be minicons, not fleshlings.

13. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought the purpose of the Aligned Continuity was to take all the lore from the past 27 years(I think thats right) and put it together into one continuity. So, pretty much the Aligned Continuity is what Transformers is all about.

14. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    In a fashion, in one all new continuity, they mean for this to be THE continuity for years to come. This will have the Thirteen, this will have Unicron, lost Cybertronian civilizations, the war for Cybertron, Vector Sigma, origins of the characters, and a whole lot more rolled together in THE Transformers universe.

15. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, for the movieverse anyway, and they were basically just as unpopular, at least in our area, I think some are still peg-warming in the local walmart clearance row.

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Yeah. I think really they had too much going against them as nice as they are. For about the same price (and more often for cheaper) people could get a transforming version of the character also on the shelves at the same time which had sharper edges and details. Given the choice between having one or the other I'm sure most people would choose the transforming one. Even the 'replica' aspect of RR failed for me mostly.

The Actionmasters however didn't really have to compete with other versions of themselves on the shelves at the same time and they were more cartoon and comic accurate compared to previous toys of them. Also they came with nice transforming vehicles and accessories and generally were prices quite favourably compared to their regular figure transforming versions.
    I think Actionmasters failed more because they were a product ahead of its time. People back then mostly couldn't get their heads around a Transformers figure that didn't transform. Even though we're more accepting of that kind of thing now as there's more of a general merchandise aspect to collecting TF beyond just the shape-changing normal figures, they still have to offer something more than just being a small blobby rubbery thing with iffy joints that costs more than the poor value they seem to offer compared to the regular figures. Robot Replicas sort of once again came along at the wrong time as Actionmasters did back in the late G1 days.
    I wonder how many people would readily snap up reissues or knock-offs of Actionmasters if they came back out today.

But I'm getting off the thread topic here.

17. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    No you didn't.

Nobody is that dumb.

If you actually are, do you also try to transform the Robot Replicas? The Robot Heroes? The RPMs? The 3" Titaniums?

There has been no shortage of non-transformable Transformers action figures in recent years. Why aren't you rallying against those too?

Anyway, how can you complain about cartoon accurate, highly poseable, fully interactive figures? The only reason Action Masters got a bad rap was that they were the only main toys in America along with Micromasters during its final days. Here in Europe we got a variety of traditional Transformers toys (Elite Action Masters, Turbomasters, Predators, Rescue Force, Motorvators, Overlord) and some reissues from 1984, 1985, 1986 and 1987. I believe if America had the same toys we got, there wouldn't have been an end to G1. Here, G1 and G2 were blurred together and there was no definitive cut-off point nor gap years between the two.

18. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    when i was like 7 i did try to transform soundwave and heavytread. i was very mad when i realised i couldnt and would never be able to.

as to the last question, becuase as an adult i dont just buy something without looking it over first :p , as a kid, "soundwave! i can finally have soundwave!" i believe is how i might have acted.

19. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    I remember the first time I saw an Action Master as a kid. It was Rollout. I knew straight away that he couldn't transform without even buying it.

Then later I realised that Action Masters were fun and even cool despite not being able to transform. I enjoyed being able to buy familar season one characters at a low price or having a transformable vehicle with them that could carry a few figures.

They were the Transformers equivalent of G.I. Joe figures and were intended to mimic G.I. Joe play with poseable interchangeable figures and accessories.

20. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While the concept of non-transforming Transformers didn't appeal to me, I DID like the partners (which is why I loved Head/Target/Powermasters). Later on, I learned to love the characters that never got love because they were introduced as Action Masters. Hopefully we keep getting Action Master homages in modern lines like Axor, Banzai-Tron, Slicer, and Double Punch...