Aligned Continuity

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by lemonymous, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout War Dog

I dunno, I feel that resulted in a "took many cooks spoil the soup" kind of problem because none of them wanted to work with each other.

• Like Like x 2
  2. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Roko Riko Rii

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    The idea behind the Aligned continuity sounds good, but the way it was done is....... odd, at best (Not in a good way, either)

The Aligned continuity is a colossal mess of a fictional continuity, with nothing fictional wise really connect to each other in a way that makes sense. If Hasbro and the creative team has better communication and coordination with each other in terms of storytelling, I think the Aligned continuity won't turn out to be the big mess that it is right now.

I can see why people see Prime being a "mature show" is a good thing, but this is the case where I think Prime being a "mature" show really hinders its overall quality.

My problem is the show want to make itself seems like a serious and mature show, but the show is also ridiculous at times to the point of not being able to take seriously. Despite all of the "set-up" makes it seems like some of the main Autobots cast (Bulkhead, Bumblebee) would (or should) die, none of them really die and they all survived at the end despite it makes no sense (I'm still salty about whatever Bulkhead's injury situation turns out). Even Cliffjumper's death feels more like it just exists only for cheap shock value. It feels more like the writers spend more time on deceiving the audience that Prime is a "mature" show rather than put any thoughts in the writing.

• Like Like x 2
  3. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

Ah, the Aligned Continuity. Personally, I find it to be a collection of great Transformers stories that really don't connect to each other as well as they should (except arguably Prime and RID).

• Like Like x 1
  4. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime I don't want to set the world on fire...

Ebay:
    I disagree with this in part. I agree that the attempt at melodrama seemed to force the show to meander a little and that the writing was weak at times. Frankly, I almost quit watching the show because of Miko. However, there are plenty of adult shows where the main characters would have or should have died but for writer caveat. For example, other character deaths notwithstanding, Rick Grimes should have died eons ago in Walking Dead.

One important thing I think can sometimes be forgotten in a franchise like Transformers is that killing a character is not an easy thing to do, as it discontinues not just a story arc, but part of the toyline. Unless some new toy is lined up and ready to go, writers are usually discouraged from killing anyone. Take Beast Wars for example. Even Terrorsaur and Scorponok weren't allowed to die until Quickstrike and Inferno were teed up. Dinobot died nobly, only to come back as a monster, and Airrazor and Tigatron came back as Tigerhawk and lasted until the end of the series in that fashion. I think most people would say that BW is pretty close to the pinnacle of TF writing (even if I don't agree), and they were still hamstrung by the requirement that nobody die without there being a replacement.

The last thing I think should be noted is that Prime ran into a lot of budget problems trying to produce a good show. The show was chronically overbudget, and resulted in at least one scrapped plan for season 3 and the summary reduction of the "nonessential" cast (Breakdown and Airachnid). Between that and the infighting between Hasbro and the production team, I think it put into context how nice what we ended up getting was. In no way do I believe that this somehow absolves all of Prime's flaws - it's not perfect by any means. However, I think the apparent "lack of death" as everyone seems to want wouldn't have been such an issue if the writing hadn't been so hampered.

• Like Like x 1
  5. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Roko Riko Rii

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    I can see where you're came from. As much of a good show Beast Was is, I definitely has issues and pet peeves with the way the writers managed some of the character's death. (Which is another reason of why I still think Beast Wars as a show stills need some improvement)
    While I can see how the lack of budget can hinders the show's overall quality, I still think that the budget can be spent better. If the creative team use the budget to hire better writers or producers instead of Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman (Who also known for been the writers of such "classics" films like The Amazing Spider Man 2, and Star Trek: Into Darkness), I think the show would turn out better in terms of writing. There's no reason the creative team need to hire some superstar to voice characters that only appears for less than 10 minutes and dies after that (Looking at you, Cliffjumper).

6. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime I don't want to set the world on fire...

Ebay:
    Point taken. Cliffjumper's death was definitely a marketing ploy, no doubting it or escaping it. Still, I don't feel like Prime's detractors always hate it for the right reasons. I think there's a lot of issues with the show and that it definitely could have been better, but when viewing Transformers as a whole franchise, I think it was a good showing even given all of the underlying issues. At worst, I feel it was a fairly solid action show and doesn't deserve the grilling it occasionally gets.

7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout War Dog

Incorrect. Inferno was supposed to die at the end of S2, because BW S2 wrapped up before S3 was greenlit. I mean, the dude gets disintegrated - it's almost amusing at how he just shows up alive at the start of S3.

Additionally, Waspinator - yes, him - was supposed to die around the same time as well. In fact, at the start, the writers hated him so much that they invented the whole "he gets blown up all the time" aspect simply so they could get out of writing him in a full episode. That, ironically, endeared him to the writing crew in the end, which is why he ultimately survived (the only Predacon besides Megatron to actually survive Beast Wars) and I believe Terrorsaur was killed off in his place.

A monster who was completely different from the individual he was cloned from, only to eventually return to something of his former self by the end. For the most part, though, Dinobot II is treated as a different individual from Dinobot I, which worked better for the toyline because it's all a roundabout way to essentially give Dinobot the Transmetal 2 upgrade.

Because they were captured by the Vok and fused together into a new being, who also happened to have a new toy? That's still two characters down to one new character.

Rampage and Depthcharge. QED.

Airachnid being "nonessential"? Oh no you don't - that stupid ass character was the production team's mary sue of Arcee drama, literally the only reason that god awful abomination even exists. I mean, you have Arcee spend 1.5 seasons whining about revenge and shit, then when she finally has Airachnid at her mercy and has every right to kill an enemy combatant who has committed war crimes...she says some bullshit about the higher road and then puts Airachnid in stasis.

But that's where the problem REALLY starts. Because multiple times after that, the show 'teases' Airachnid being around, even so far as the pod surviving the destruction of the first Autobot base, but she's never fucking used until the Thirst episode...which exists to throw her out the airlock because the writers couldn't get up the nerve to kill their precious Black Arachnia knock off. The problem is just a completely awful handling of the plot because Arcee should have killed Airachnid instead of suddenly not practicing what she preached, and then Airachnid served no point in being alive until the end which was so non-essential in regards to having spiderchopper around that Thirst could have easily been written around not having her. Oh, and it was never explained why she had control over the Insecticons, either, as if she wasn't the precious writer's pet enough on her own.

And then Breakdown? That was bullshit because they were clearly setting up something between him and Bulkhead (and also with Starscream after the episode where Breakdown lost the eye), but then they just drop it with no fanfare - even Bulkhead, who clearly went out of his way to save Breakdown that one time, expresses no reaction to learning of the guy's death. And then Dreadwing pretty much just moves in to take Breakdown's place.

The problem lies in the very premise of the cartoon - I mean, the Autobots and Decepticons are at war, have been for millions of years, and now the battle moves to Earth.

If that was the case...then what the fuck have the Autobots been doing this whole time to prolong the fight? The majority of the Decepticon forces in the show are effortlessly slaughtered by the Autobots, posing zero challenge to any of them. This was done to obviously make the Autobots look cool and victorious...but it also really cheapens the idea that they're the underdogs to the point they can't even be called that. Every single battle they win unless it's a season finale...in which case they merely just win again in the first few episodes of the next season, completely nullify whatever advantage the Decepticons had, and then the status quo is reset (or just straight up win at the end of S3 and Predacons Rising because of deus ex machina miracles that never got brought up as being possible until they happen).

Cliffjumper's death in the beginning is supposed to set the tone, that the Autobots are at a severe disadvantage...except he's the only Autobot to die within the timeline of the show. Seaspray does not exist - he's just a character invented by the script to provide context for introducing Dreadwing and Wheeljack, but he didn't do anything of importance to the plot such that his very name could be swapped out for another and nothing changes. This just underscores how invincible and flawless the core team of Autobots are, and in turn that is Prime's greatest flaw - it's boring as fuck because nothing ever really presents the Autobots with trouble that they or their plot device human allies (I could go on about how fucking impossible the hacker kid is in the context of the plot because even Jimmy fucking Neutron isn't as good as Raf who can instantly reverse hack alien technology in the blink of an eye to the point he's better than Soundwave at everything). And even when the Decepticons actually manage a win in a normal episode, their victory is hollow and doesn't present nearly as big a problem to the Autobots as it was hyped to be - like, Soundwave got the sound gun, so he has a sound gun now and nothing else changed.

The one time the Autobots being way too snowflake-special was with the Star Saber getting broken early on, simply because that thing existing made it impossible for the writers to even try convincingly keeping the Autobots from just steamrolling the Decepticons effortlessly (by which I mean even the named Decepticons wouldn't be able to last, given how the Autobots regularly steamrolled the vehicons and insecticons all the time). but that was the only time things didn't work out in the Autobot's favor in the end.

Like, the chief bullshit example of this is when Bulkhead flies out of the groundbridge with a crater in his back - twice. Immediately they have Ratchet emphasise how life-threatening it is and Bulkhead may be crippled for life. The next episode he's seen moving around, clearly on the road to recovery just fine, and the one after that he's dodging missiles. But the fact one of their number got hurt so badly was hilariously treated by the Autobots as the same thing if not worse than Cliffjumper actually dying at the start of the series. And there really wasn't a reason Bulkhead needed to survive, because there was a guy around to replace him - Wheeljack was Bulkhead's friend and it would have made all the sense in the world to kill the green bastard off, just to have Wheeljack join the team full time in his place 'because that's what Bulkhead would have wanted'. Instead, the whole incident is used for a completely impossible chain of events that leads to Megatron kidnapping the kids (because one of the Insecticons tells Megatron that a human pushed a button to fire missiles into Hardshell...even though there is no way they ever knew a human was even on Wheeljack's ship in the first place).

Sure, killing off your good guys is not a good strategy...but letting them win the majority of the time makes it seem like the only reason their enemies haven't been totally defeated is because they're lazy bastards more than actually facing stronger odds if they just go Leroy Jenkins on their base. In comparison to Animated, it's a similar situation except the Autobots are the bottom of the barrel in terms of being effective soldiers while the Decepticons are Megatron's personal retinue - with one of them having bombs for hands that literally team wipes the Autobots in one indirect attack. The only thing keeping the Decepticons from wiping the Autobots off the face of the Earth is a combination of ignorant superiority complexes (one-on-one, no Autobot on the Earth team could go up against any Decepticon, something repeatedly proven in the show's early stages and even into late-game), distractions (Lugnut focusing more on Megatron's transmissions than actually defeating an inferior enemy team), and most importantly - the writers holding them in reserve. Most of S1 is actually the Autobots having extreme trouble with human villains instead of the Decepticons, as the human villains aren't even in the same ballpark of threat potential as one Decepticon. This is crucial because it allowed the Autobots to visibly struggle and grow to meet challenges without having to make the Decepticons look weak. As the Autobots grew over the course of the show, getting smarter, learning to work as a team, and the occasional upgrade, the humans were gradually phased out as the Decepticons started to ramp up their operations and thus come more into conflict with the Autobots, even though it isn't until the last battle that Megatron finally recognizes Optimus as a true rival (by actually saying "Optimus Prime" for the first and only time in the entire show's run!).

With Prime, it was a mess of trying to make the Decepticons a constant threat while the Autobots powered through generic soldiers like hot knives through melted butter. It was confused in what kind of messages it was trying to say, with Prime reprimanding Ratchet for going after non-combat miners at one point, while in a previous season Bulkhead needlessly ripped out a Vehicon's guts after having already disabled the enemy. If the Autobots couldn't get through a problem through sheer armed force, a solution would conveniently happen thanks to one of the humans coming up with a non-brute-force option or, more regularly, Megatron being a fucking idiot throwing away resources left and right to the point Starscream was looking like the better leader before Season 1 Episode 5 even ended. Prime's Autobots were simply too good and nothing ever, ever bad really happened to them at any point in the show, excluding Whine-cee bitching about dead partners.

• Like Like x 1