Aligned Continuity

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by lemonymous, Jan 23, 2018.

1. lemonymous

lemonymous Member

So... out of curiosity, what happened to the aligned continuity that hasbro was going to go forward with in the animated shows, starting with Prime? Have they chucked that?

• Like Like x 1
  2. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes.

Next question.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jalaguy

Jalaguy Crusadercon

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    A) This isn't news.

B) Rescue Bots Academy is coming out, so Aligned definitely isn't dead yet.

4. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:

There is no actual 'aligned continuity'. It kind of fell apart when the people making the games and TV series, etc, just carried on doing their own thing. The Prime TV series, Robots in Disguise and Rescue Bots, however, are supposedly set in the same continuity. We do have Transformers: Rescue Bots Academy coming up which takes place after Rescue Bots, as Jalaguy mentioned.

• Like Like x 2
  5. RobotKnight95

RobotKnight95 Unamused and Insane

News Credits:
    Pretty much. It's done. It was Hasbro trying to "reinvent" a G1 inspired continuity but including the High Moon games, Prime, Rescue Bots, and so on. However none of the actual medias wanted to participate in it and eventually Hasbro just gave up.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  7. lemonymous

lemonymous Member

Thanks, all!

8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

The idea wasn't bad, but they needed to handle it differently ...and make sure everyone involved is actually on board.

They started with a multi-millennium-spanning timeline already planned and basically told everyone "your story needs to fit in this spot here" and that's just not something most creative types will want to deal with.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    Though all the different creative teams from all different media essentially pulled it apart the idea of one story(a good story) that would drive all the projects was a good one. Perhaps the nature of the beast was that all those companies would pull their own direction.

I know fans moan about the holes in the continuity and the whole thing has left bitter ruins all around but i personally feel aligned was great. I got a new tfs concept and most a story, it lasted around the lifespan if not longer than any other. So in that regard it was good. Novels, tfprime, covenant, give or take the games, all were just fine by me.

Aligned was good, without that driving central concept i think we are more likely to get trash than not. Machimina, perhaps cyberverse(looks likely) and whatever other shallow half baked stories hasbro might try palm off is what i expect. We could get an animated but i find it hard to believe that something of that quality is on the horizon.

This is the junk age. Make up your own stories.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

The idea wasn't bad... The execution fell apart with not enough oversight.

Sometimes when you commission work you have to put your foot down and actually enforce it abiding to your needs and specifications. For good or for bad.

Overall, these days Hasbro's not very invasive in terms of creative work made for their IP. Sometimes they suggets a character being used or an event happening, but all the details are left to creators. Sometimes it works... But sometimes it does not.

For something like the Aligned their control and coordination probably should have been much more strict.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Mopey Sea Urchin

Ebay:
    Or more collaborative. Somewhere between control and the laizzes-faire free for all that Aligned eventually became is working with everyone to assemble a more unified creative vision instead of well-intentioned mutating mess it became. It's a shame, as Prime was probably as "mature" a TF show will ever get and I really enjoyed it for the tone.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Considering it was almost only because of the TFPrime creative team as they did pretty much everything humanly possible to not fit with the rest of the Aligned... I doubt Hasbro or other creators being more collaborative would change anything given the TFP team lack of any will to cooperate. And of course hasbro eventually DID step in... but too little, too late and under a new executive who had even less idea of wha to do than the TFP team had.

I blame both TFP creators and Habsro. TFP makers for acting like the entire Aligned should be revolving around their creation and Hasbro for poor coordination.

13. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    Well, it is a tough one because you can't say exactly what everything should be because otherwise what is the point of the creatives. I am pleased we got two great styles of art in cybertron games and another in Prime that are both still loved, ok if both those medias had been synced stylistically that might be impressive but then we wouldn't have got those two great styles.

To think we might not have gotten that great fresh take on soundwave, and other things we could point to.

To me where it goes wrong is Hasbro not, yeah being nore collaborative but, just making those restrictions and requirments clearer for the writers to keep in mind. "You're going to have to incorporate a new gimmick and set of characters in season 3", "oh yeah funding might get cut at that point to and we might have to make a break for it". Those things they shouldn't really have been a surprise, i don't think Predacons destroyed the show and i am not sure what the writers intended would have been that much more better - just some wreckers instead of predacons turning up really. But probably what would have been better is atmosphere and spirit of all the creative forces, the season was going to be cut and movie made not matter what anyone did but that movie might have been a lot better than it was.

I am sad for aligned that it never really got past the saving Cybertron phase, it was an epic phase with the whole of cybertron's previous history mapped out but didn't get past that. So not really further than G1 or Animated - we start over. RID amounts to some 2 minute notes scribbled down so you don't scare your 3 year old, and a boring tale it is too.

14. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Anthony Hopkins with a submachine gun. 'Nuff said!

Prime wasn't mature - it was a kids show that tried to be edgy but in the end, how many main Autobots actually died and stayed dead excluding Prime? NONE. The only ones who died were throwaways or didn't even appear on screen. And sadly, I include Cliffjumper as a not-main bot because even though he was plastered on all the pre-release merch, he ultimately did nothing but serve as a reason for Arcee to be pissy all the time. They sure as hell loved to tease the good guys dying, though, given that absolute bullshit situation where Bulkhead's "near-fatal" injury healed up without any consequence. And the Autobots always ended up winning in the end and making what would be the right choice in hindsight even when the reasons at the time of the decision clearly would have indicated they were in the wrong. The only time there were ever any stakes were at the end of each season and each time those got rectified lightning fast to the point they were practically insignificant in the long run. Even Predaking who could have been a major game changer got nullified from really being any kind of a true threat when Megatron stabbed him in the back because he was a coward.

Out of all the Transformer franchises up to Prime, where death is a real thing, Prime is the only series that couldn't kill a main character good guy or otherwise really mess them up (because RID took itself not seriously at all...but the Decepticons in that series were in fact all CORRUPTED AUTOBOTS, plus everybody loves RID Scourge who is the greatest Nemesis Prime ever).

G1 mass murdered them in the film.

Beast Wars had Code of Hero (technically twice) and Tigerhawk dying in trying to stop the Nemesis from flying off

Rhinox's tortured soul finally got released in Beast Machines

Armada revealed Optimus was a warmonger to the point Megatron was surprised, killed Smokescreen (TWICE) and Starscream's death (face full of Unicron rage) was a major plot point in unifying the two factions to fight against Unicron

Energon had Inferno's tortured state between factions before finally flinging himself into the sun to be reborn (and the reason I mention him is that it's really unclear if Roadblock is Inferno or a new guy)

Cybertron got Vector Prime "killed" such that a god of time couldn't directly exist in the continuity anymore

and Animated had Prowl sacrifice himself to save Detroit in the end (and the Autobots were truly messed up - look up the comic about the Jet Twins if you don't believe me).

I haven't seen RID no do I intend to, so I can't comment on it.

The closest that Prime could get to "permamently dead main good guy" was killing Breakdown without fanfare and then Dreadwing dying because he actually had morals, unlike Megatron, who shot an otherwise perfectly good soldier.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Sorry, but nope. Let's not pretend that people working on any part of TF Aligned line were creating artistry on the level with a second Sistine Chapel or War&Peace. They were hired and brought to work because IP holder needed promotional material. That's the only point their creativity was ever employed for. In this kind of scenario IP owner is fully entitled to tell what should or should not be done.

Now, if the IP owner choses to not oversee the work and instead let it all fall apart... That's on the IP owner as well.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    Forget about sistine chapel... I never said that... If by your description that is all they were employed for all characters might have looked exactly like their animated design or whatever Hasbro had on file just reused. Turns out they are all restyled in Cybertron games, aligned artwork, tfp designs. So actually think you are wrong.

17. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    Well, there's a reason I put "mature" in quotes. Of course it's a kid's show.

Respectfully, I don't think that character death is a hallmark of maturity. While I'll concede that Beast Wars was probably superior in providing emotional depth in individual episodes and that I forgot about it because I'm not a huge Beast Wars fan, Prime attempted some level of gravitas with its storytelling. I liked the way it built some of the relationships that really seemed to carry forwards from episode to episode that I didn't feel stuck as much as with Beast Wars. The voice acting was expressive and I felt that they really conveyed that the characters weren't always silly caricatures (which I felt Beast Wars did a lot of), but were actually living organisms.

Certainly, there were plot points they missed, story arcs that fell flat, and stuff they could have done better. I also get you really don't like Prime, and that's OK. All I know is that I enjoy fairly complex, character driven stories which are generally a hallmark of entertainment geared towards grown-ups and Prime grabbed my attention moreso than most of Transformers related media.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

No, because never it was stated that Hasbro wanted specified style of graphic designs. They only wanted consistency in terms of continuity. Albeit how badly they wanted anything is debatable given their lack of effort to enforce it.

19. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    The point of Aligned based on all the source books that came out seemed to be to establish a running framework. Hasbro was more interested in creating a world, with different set pieces. They had a few story points that "had to happen" in order to move the narrative forward. Then they tried to turn it over to various showrunners in order to get as much out of the IP on all fronts. The problem was, as most people have indicated, the various showrunners didn't want to be hamstrung by what the other teams did. That's the problem inherent in Aligned. It wasn't the concept - it was all in the execution. The only problem that I see that Hasbro actually caused was attempting to hamfist everything into Aligned because of their generational marketing strategy.

Interestingly, the Aligned continuity came into effect almost the same time as My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and look how that show turned out. They pretty much did the same thing - gave Lauren Faust a few "musts" and then told her to get creative and worked with her to adjust certain concept points. The difference being that MLP wasn't fobbed off to 2-3 different creative groups. When MLP eventually DID spin off to Equestria Girls, they chose to keep a more unified style, instead allowing them to differ with a totally different storyline; almost the inverse of what Align ended up being.

Just food for thought, I suppose.

20. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    Dude you argued that intial point to say that...

Look, ok Aligned was never specified to have a single art style(lack of control by H or not). And that is what you are saying broken down which does not contradict what you intially quoted me on in any way.

There is creative free license in much of Aligned from the initial character design to their story. I was initially simply saying some positive things about how things were handled and though we may not like the result, and even wiki goes into pains to address the discrepancies, Aligned was deliberately handled like that it seems to me.

Under Creative vision of wiki link above:
    "...The brand bible's description in Transformers Vault states it paints the Transformers history in broad strokes, so as to give creators the necessary flexibility when crafting their stories, a belief echoed by statements made at BotCon 2011: Archer spoke of a "squint test" where everything can be seen as one family of stories, where only fans would see differences.[9] Branches of fiction include:"

Let's see the positives aswell. Aligned was kind of awesome in just how many different creatives had a part in it.