Aligned continuity revisited (and solved?)

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by StarryAqua, Jun 7, 2011.

1. StarryAqua

StarryAqua Former fandom follower

News Credits:
    Sort of both a Thank You thread, and to see if I understand everything about what was revealed at Botcon this year.

I'd like to thank the ones in charge of getting answers to this Aligned Continuity thing at Botcon. You've taking a lot off my back (which may seem stupid if people didn't find this a big deal.)

Anyway, from what I understand, everything that has been placed under the Aligned Continuity family IS STILL a part of the same universe, but with several "allowed opportunites," aka the contradictions. It's all about telling the best story, not just trying to make every product connect and make sense to each other.

I for one are happy enough they admitted that while they need to do what they need to do to make a better story, they are still trying their damndest to follow the continuity closely. As long as they follow the main basis of each product to make the long continuity story make sense, then it should be alright. It don't matter if Bumblebee didn't talk in Exodus but did in WFC; they followed the same goal, and that was most important. (That's my assumption, I haven't read Exodus yet.)

That's what I got out of it. Anyone care to explain anything else to me that I may not know or understand? If so, atleast I tried XD

2. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

Like Pixar says, story is king! In a perfect world, they could keep the continuity pristine without hobbling their creativity, but I'm happy to sacrifice some of the continuity if it means improving the quality of the fiction. Some fans are annoyed that they're not able to keep the continuity 100% intact, but at least now we know that it's a conscious decision and not just mistakes and oversights.

It's the same way with naming the characters and concepts, like the Vehicons who are named as a toy but not in the show. The fiction and the toyline are working together, but sometimes they have different needs depending on the nature of the medium they're in. I think it's a good thing that there's some leeway, and the show isn't a slave to the toyline like it used to be.

3. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And it's not like the differences really affect the universe.

For example, in Prime Cybertron gets dark energon infested, but it already got like that at the end of WFC! See? Nothing that really hurts the future enough to make it not fit. Cybertron is still dead in the future, and dark energon is still a thing that fucked up the planet both ways.

4. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm still going to count WFC and Prime as separate entities, I get better enjoyment out of them that way.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Remind me again how all this was resolved...?

6. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hasbro said: Well you don't HAVE to fit perfectly to be the same continuity! HMPH! *face turn*

7. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Basically its like Sunbow G1 Season 1 to Season 4 and Marvel G1 and G2.

Here's the bare bones work with it.

The basic elements are:

1. Prime and Megatron were friends but their ideologies made them oppose each other.
    2. Cybertron is ruined by the war.
    3. Dark Energon is some bad mojo.

The difference between WFC/Exodus and Prime is that general character model direction. The former along the lines of G1/War Within/Live Action the later Live Action/Animated.

WFC and Exodus is not the same story but parallel each other. Prime? Lets face it this is Orci and Kurtzman. Notorious for ignoring continuity.

8. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

i still operate that they are all the same canon but different continuity. so long as each story stays true to itself i dont mind.

9. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    I always considered Exodus, WfC and Prime as loosely associated. They share the same basic concepts and elements, e.g. dark energon corrupting the Decepticons and Cybertron, Optimus and Megatron being 'brothers', etc., but differ in some small details and specifics.

10. AlphaTrionA3

AlphaTrionA3 Autobot

News Credits:
    Bah! I just like to keep on thinking that Prime is it's own contained continutity, entirely unrelated to everything else. I shall continue to live inside my safe little bubble. Kthnx.