Aligned Continuity Longevity

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by AngryChad, Aug 3, 2012.

?

How long do you think the Aligned Continuity be around?

1. Aligned Continuity will run shorter than the average Transformers series/generation.

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. Aligned Continuity will run longer than average Transformers series/generation.

10 vote(s)
    43.5%
  3. Aligned Continuity will run about on par with the average Transformers series/generation.

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  4. Other - Aligned Continuity will continue for a long time, with multiple sub lines.

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the Aligned Continuity and if they think it's got legs. It seems like Hasbro has really been pushing it these last couple years, but as we all know nothing in the world of Transformers lasts forever. Do you see this lasting any longer than previous incarnations?

2. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I do believe it'll go on for a decent while, especially since they have full on novels running with it AND mass-released/hyped video games.

I'd like for TFP to run for at least four season (preferably more), but I'd also like to see spin-off shows set in the same universe.

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Well, Hasbro "plans" for it to last around ten years. Though I honestly don't expect it to last much longer than five. Not because of the next movie, but because by then Hasbro will have run it into the ground to the point they need to reboot. I was all gung ho for this last year, but for the past three to four months my interest in it has completely depleted.

Really, other than watching the rest of TFP, and maybe a handful of toys, my interest in Transformers in general is pretty much gone. Which I guess is a good thing, as my collecting interest has grown to cover multiple lines.

4. AngryChad

News Credits:
    Do you have a source for that 10 years number?

5. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    None off the top of my head, but I know Hasbro reps have said that at least a couple of times now at past conventions. Also, I can't be the only one who remembers this, so someone should be able to back me up on this...

6. AngryChad

News Credits:
    Cool. Not calling you a liar or anything, I just hadn't heard that before so I'd like to track it down.

7. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Given the amount of factors in the Aligned Continuity, such as Prime, the books/comics and the games from High Moon, I'd say it'll go on for a decent while at least.

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I give it another two years, at best. That's still longer than normal.

9. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Hasbro will keep it going as long as they can until they need to reboot

10. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Certainly 10 years, I think they really implied that their intent is that this is THE continuity that will cement the brand for all time.

They've evolved how they deal with continuity as a concept a lot over the years:

- Continu-what? (Early days different stuff going on in toon v comic v toy. US v Japan, etc.)
    - Mythos (Quoting Hasbro "it's kind of like Final Fantasy" Everything is equally real and or not-real. Charcaters represent mythic archetypes, each version of the story simply represents them and their struggles differently)
    - "One World, One Brand" (The first attempt at building something cohesive, debuted with Armada, US and Japan in sync, core concepts solid across mediums, continuity into Energon)
    - Multiverse (My guess is this had a bit to do with how Us and Japan trated Cybertron/GF differently, plus the rise of the fanclub stuff. "Singularity" Unicron and Primus, basic concepts are itterated in different forms across different distinct Universes)
    - Aligned (Current state, it's ONE world, dammit)

Now, the saving grace of Aligned that they might be able to leverage to keep the single bible alive in perpetuity, is what Archer calls the "Squint Test"

The details can gets little murky from one medium or story to anothe,r but as long as the basic conceptsd all keep lining up with the bible, it's all good.

Essentially immortal characters with millions of years of history to explore, there's plenty of room to tell LOTS of stories.....

....except that they'll want to keep making versions of "human boy and his cool yellow car" stopries, which will ultimately bring them down.

I miss the adventurousness of G1 when we were willing to MOVE ON.

D/L

11. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I do not have a source either, but I do recall this from an article rather than from a post.

12. Strarf

Strarf Toy Battles Reloaded TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I say a couple more years. There's no way in hell it'll last ten years.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I say it'll end by 2016/2017.

14. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

Combine this with the inevitable reboot, and the possibility of a shake-up with whomever runs Hasbro or the TF division, and I doubt sincerely that aligned as specific examples lasts more than a couple more years. As a concept for what came BEFORE whatever series they plan next? It might stay, all depends on the creative team.