Aligned continuity confusion

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by StarryAqua, Apr 25, 2011.

1. StarryAqua

StarryAqua Former fandom follower

News Credits:
    Hello. I'm new to this website, and the Transformers fandom as well. Anyway, I am quite addicted to Transformers: Prime; one of my favorite shows to watch right now.

I started doing a little research to learn the backstory of Transformers: Prime, only to find out it's part of a new continuity. Finding out the War for Cybertron game is actually the beginning franchise of this new continuity was quite surprising to me. Now I have to play that game--which I wont mind--to understand the backstory of things and how the war on Cybertron started out. Then I did a little more research.

I find out that War for Cybertron (game) and Prime have many plot holes and contradictions that it doesn't fit for them to be in the same continuity. Then I find out about the Exodus novel--which is just supposed to be a bigger expansion of the game--and learn it has its own contradictions based on the same story of the game.

With all this confusion, at least to me, Hasbro has still stated that it's the same continuity and that "Everything will be revealed later on," what with most future Transformers related material to take place in this continuity. I would still think it's wack, but then again, who am I to complain? It's frickin' Hasbro.

Does anyone think Hasbro will stay true to their word about explaining everything in the future? Does anyone know the true order of everything? Is the War for Cybertron game the most accurate, or the Exodus novel? So many questions that I probably shouldn't even bother with, but I can't help thinking about all this.

Still a damn good show, though.

2. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Hasbro said War for Cybertron would serve as the basis for a lot of future media back when it was coming out. We assumed this meant War for Cybertron served as a backstory for G1 and as a world-building tool for Prime. However, it appears War for Cybertron can't be ambiguous, and thusly fits only into Prime continuity. It's very confusing, since WFC was developed as a G1 game, but was later turned into a Prime game by Hasbro to serve as a backstory. Problem is, it was a last minute change, and the contradictions are enormous. For example, Starscream having no clue what Dark Energon is in TF: P, even after working in a facility where it was produced for 1000 cycles in WFC!

3. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    well i havent played WFC and I Havent seen Prime, but you know as Years Passes you cna forget things so its possible that as years Passed Stasrcream forgot all about it

4. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    My advice - enjoy Prime and WfC as separate continuities. About the only thing the two have in common is Dark Energon. WfC is more G1 than anything else, while Prime is a brand new universe.

5. arcee101

arcee101 wrecker

Welcome!We're a strange bunch,but you'll grow to like us!

6. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

It all makes sense if you don't think about it.

7. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Think of it this way: the G1 cartoon, the G1 comics, Dreamwave's continuity, and IDW's continuity are all considered "G1", right?

Therefore, it stands to reason that WFC and Transformers Prime can both be "Aligned" without strictly following one another.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I agree with this.

9. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Also, you'll learn there will always be gaps and differences, part of the joy of Transformers, no matter which series you read or watch. Just learn to enjoy, sometimes you can connect the dots and sometimes you can't..but it's all good :thumb 

Also, feel free to use our SEARCH function to read dozens of threads regarding this very same topic..many people have questioned this..few have had satisfaction with the answers :D  Welcome and enjoy TFW2005!!

10. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

They are machines, not humans, they just don't "forget" things. Especially not Soundwave if you follow his prime character at all.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    It doesn't help that Exodus is self-contradicting.

12. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    Do what I do - Forget what Hasbro says, and just view Transformers Prime as its own thing. It saves on a few headaches. Its blatantly obvious that the makes of War for Cybertron and TFP never intended for their creations to be part of the same canon.

I'd love for WFC, exodus, and Prime to be one smooth, coherent, plothole free continuity, but the fact remains that it isn't.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Tell that to my Mac that just forgot that I was working on a new project since this morning, and now half of it is gone.

14. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    Ditto, WFC and TFPrime are not the same continuity.

1. Dark Energon works Differently in both continuities; It is a super adictive unstable energy source in WFC, and in TFPrime it brings dead or inanimate objects to life.
    2. Dark Energon infection of Cyberton is the reason for it's evacuation form Cybertron in WFC. But in TFPrime none of the main cast has experience with it or it is so rare it is though not to exist. If Dark Energon were the reason in TFPrime to evacuate a planet I think everyone would have known what Dark Energon is if it where part of WFC
    3. In WFC Megatron uses Dark Energon to give himself and his followers a edge against the Autobots. In TFPrime Megatron experiments and infuses himself with Dark Energon for the first time.

15. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
  16. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Went ever more confusing is that Optimus' and Bumblebee's designs when for G1-Based to Movie-based,also Arcee when for a Pink Car to a Blue Bike.

17. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

:wink: 

That's like holding a Andriod smartphone in one hand and an abacus in the other.

(back to the regular conversation)
    Never the less, unless your writing fiction for the company I wouldn't worry too much about it, just brush it off to the side and enjoy the media for what it is, a TV show and a Game.

18. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :thumb 

19. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WFC is an offshoot of G1 in almost every way with it's character appearances, Prime is completely different and doesn't appear to have much in common with WFC at all beside character names.

I view them as separate entities, I don't care what Hasbro says, treating them as different thing invokes less headaches and creates less continuity errors. I just hope High moon don't get forced by Hasbro to approach WFC2 as a Prime prequel :/

20. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    Just view them as completely different things. If anything, Prime is Movieverse animated and WFC is badass fun.