2D Artwork: Aliens Vs Transformers Storyboard art

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Kevin164, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Kevin164

Kevin164 Rinky Dink Cartoonist

[​IMG]

166 panels so far done. Whew. Only 500 more to go. Oy

Attached Files:

• B77.jpg
      B77.jpg
      File size:
      993.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Although the detailing and coloring are excellent (Dark Horse crossed with Top Cow), it's really hard to discern what's truly going on in this scene. The 'derelict' ship is visible, but the TF fighting it is undefined as such. It took me a minute to pick out a head and hand to see it as a bot.
    I'm sure seeing it in context with other panels will clarify it more and make it truly epic.

3. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    yeah, its pretty hard to make out anything at all in it really when seen out of context like this. great apart from that though..

4. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout TF Fan Artist

News Credits:
    I'd say your line weights are a little too similar, especially on the robot, which results in a lot of the details blurring together and the separate parts becoming indistinct.

That aside, this is a very cool and creative image with a very distinct sense of scale and drama. Good work!

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Kevin, I'd like to see you post the whole thing. :wink: 

Also, do you have anything else to familiarize us with your project? It seems that you're going in quite a different route than any other established cannon. Some character designs and backstory, etc. would help too :thumb 

6. Kevin164

Hi and thank you all for the criticism. I'm not being sarcastic. Honing your art takes critical eyes to point out what you're missing. You can see the entire work so far here at this link. MobileMe Gallery

I suggest giving the slideshow option a look. It is fast though, so catching the dialogue can be trying. A rewrite is in order to address that problem.

To answer your question we are basically near the onset of the Autobots and Decepticons upgrading to Maximal and Predacon technology. Both sides are already downsizing their frames to become more energy efficient, so they will be roughly near the size of Humans like they are in the Beast Wars episodes. Though as you can see some larger Cybertronian's still have their uses. Maximal technology exists, but is used only for their most seasoned operatives. It's still unstable.

Our main characters are basically a law enforcement unit sent to capture a very dangerous pair of Decepticons that are the beginnings of a new Megatron general. Couple more upgrades and shoring on the political front he will foster a new conflict.
    The Council pretty much nips that idea from taking hold with the Decepticon colonies by sending in a strike team to extract or destroy the target. There are some real good reasons why they want him alive, but you'll have to wait for that explanation as I get closer to the finale of the Story Board.

I didn't want to go with a typical Optimus Prime character in Nexus Valor. He was to be stubborn and pretty much one of those commanders that just thinks he knows best no matter the cost of decisions. This is because it is also an Aliens story so there is no typical safety for the Characters. Nexus serves as the driving wind that gets the rest of them into a struggle of life and death.

The rest of the Transformer cast breaks down into a trio of underage siblings. An old cantankerous coot. Basically the spirit of the Dinobots in tank form. Your tech savy geek-bot, A Maximal Spy, and Your Ripley character in the form of a robot. Who survives? We'll just have to find out as I go. :) 

I've begun work on the next eighty-five panels. These are to show case just how dangerous and evil our Decepticon is to build tension for the final act. So new ones should be arriving in the next couple days giving work and raising a kid factoring in. Each drawing is fast, so I''m not going to be best artist you've seen, but hopefully I will tell a story you all will enjoy. Cheers.

7. Kevin164

[​IMG]

A early conceptual character page.

8. Kthardin

Kthardin Well-Known Member

Just went through the entire slide show and am looking forward to the finished product. I expect things will look a lot better when motion is added.

The artwork reminds me a great deal of Transtech and a lot of Michael Bay's rendition of the Transformers, which I'm guessing is deliberate. I'm curious if they've begun to add organic components to themselves? A few looked like they may have begun this, but I'm not entirely certain of what I saw. Such a thing would make them more vulnerable to the Xenomorphs, I expect...and I can see where you'd likely go with such an idea.

On that note, I caution against a typical Aliens "everyone dies but maybe the main character a kid they picked up only to die in the sequel because of the Transformer/Alien Hybrid Queen kills them" type story. Remember, these are Transformers, and they're not more than meets the eye for nothing, heh. One of the biggest things I'd caution agains is that it seems like anymore now adays you breath on a Transformers and they die. You know, you can shoot a Dinobot with a .22 and watch them keel over...we forget, if nothing else, they are built to take a pounding, and some more so than others. In summary, just saying, remember they're not squishy humans...and a story like this could well be something different than either 'universe' has seen before.

9. Kevin164

I'm a very organic artist, so robots are pretty tough for me. So my style will creep in time to time. This project was to force me to get better at them. The only one who is truly an Organic Hybrid is the Maximal BackStryke.

Don't worry no Transformer Hybrid Aliens to think about. The Transformers have roughly about three thousand Aliens nipping at them and I didn't want to go to that place like they did in AVP. My guys have enough on their plate.

There is a child, but she doesn't really factor on the annoying scale. She's more a catalyst in driving the story for some of the characters forward towards their zenith. So yes, I do fall into that trap, but hopefully I will make up for it with how it plays out.

The Transformers even though greatly out numbered will be kicking a lot of bio-mechanical tails. Though not many will survive to the end. Their might will be greatly showcased.

Finally I do leave off with the premise of a sequel and it's epic in scale. I was sitting at work when it hit and I said very loudly" HOLY SHIITE! That's the ending!" Heh, my co-worker gave me the "going postal question mark" look, LOL.

10. Superquad7

News Credits:
  11. Kevin164

[​IMG]

Brand new image.

12. Superquad7

News Credits:
    :stickies 

Please refer to the Radicons Guidelines and Etiquette and the sticky about posting images. Thanks, Kevin! :thumb