Alien vs Aliens

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Rusty24, Jun 9, 2012.

?

Alien vs Aliens

1. Alien

16 vote(s)
    32.7%
  2. Aliens

33 vote(s)
    67.3%
  1. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

Which Alien movie do you think was better? The original "Alien" directed by Ridley Scott or the sequel "Aliens" directed by James Cameron.

2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Definitely Alien.

Alien was an excellent sci-fi horror movie, which is not that common of a thing.

AlienS was a very good sci-fi action movie, which are a dime a dozen.

3. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Aliens. Both are fantastic. But to me it Aliens show them as a little scarier. Alien it is one against ordinary people. No weapons. It would be like us locked in a building trying to kill an animal. We have no real weapons or skills.

Aliens we send in highly trained soldiers in with heavy weapons. The true horror begins as we see that they are a swarm enemy. Think 1 is bad? Try several hundred. You can shoot all you want, but they will get you. They WILL get you.

My feeling is that if soldiers can't stop them, how the bloody hell can I? Plus you see the effect of the acid on flesh. Not pretty.

4. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Alien.

Alines to me was always a watered down action version of Alien and I find it highly overrated.

5. RatTrap1985

RatTrap1985 Under your rolls of fat

I don't like comparing the movies, honestly. I think ALIEN had a real dark untone whereas ALIENS was just an awesome action flick. Both movies are equally good but for different reasons. If I had a gun pointed to my head, I would choose ALIEN simply because I think it used the xeno better.

6. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

honestly i like both. scott and cameron both did an amazing job on both! it's just the ones later on that got a little "bleh" and so on. :lol .

7. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

ALIEN was a horror movie.

ALIENS was an action movie.

Both are fantastic in their own right. But I'd recommend watching them in order, as rattrap007 said, the situation was bad enough with just one in the first film; the sequel has the entire horde. You take that feeling you have from the first film into the second, and BAM.

8. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    This is one of those, divide the movie geeks, questions.

Alien is undoubtedly one of the scariest, bleakest space horror movies to ever grace the screen. The whole thing is a slow, terrifying burn. Seven ordinary people trapped in a giant metal maze with something that will, with certainty, hunt them down and murder them. No reasoning, no parlay, it is death.

Aliens, is however, perhaps the single best example of the sci-fi action movie (which is rarer than you might think); it makes the most of its setting but never makes something so different or strange that it throws us out of the experiance. It changes up the setting, and the principal cast. It also gave us Ellen 'Get away from her, you bitch' Ripley. The 20 minutes you spend meeting the Colonial Marines is worth probably a ten week screen writing course. The final battle is a master class on the act three climax.

In the end, my preference, is Aliens because I enjoy the sci-fi action genre more than horror, but Alien is still an excellent movie.

9. DarkEnergon22

DarkEnergon22 Well-Known Member

Alien is better because Aliens would not exist if Alien was not successful.

10. RatTrap1985

I don't think ALIEN was that successful, though.

11. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

I loved aliens the first time I saw it. I was scared to death the first time I saw alien (I was like 5 both times). I grew up being into the aliens movies, and snatching up the kenner figures. My input is biased, but I always liked the concept of colonial marines.

12. RatTrap1985

I liked ALIENS because I feel like its a tie-in to the starship troopers movie/book.

13. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Well since I really don't like Alien (stupid slasher movie), Aliens no contest.

14. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Alien....stupid slasher movie?

What is this I don't even...

15. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    Lol...........wut?

They both are amazing. Alien is a wonderful thriller movie and Aliens is an awesome action film and is one of the greatest sequels of all time. I love them both.

16. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Yes it follows all the slasher genres tropes. I hate that kind of movie. And Ridely Scott isn't the greatest of Directors. He's made one movie I like, Kingdom of Heaven. And a bunch I either really dislike (Alien), to hate that burns with the fury of 1000 suns (Blade Runner).

17. RatTrap1985

Are you joking? Whoa, I don't think I've met someone that didn't like Blade Runner.

18. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

I honestly thought Blade Runner was boring when I first saw it, but it takes a few viewings to really absorb whats going on. It's almost......"too 80's". God I never thought I would utter those words in a negative tone. Ever.

19. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Blade Runner isn't a popcorn action flick and it takes time and patience to get its greatness, which is something modern audence lacks.

20. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    If the inference there is that Kingdom of Heaven is better than Gladiator, then we shall meet with pistols at dawn because that's just nonsense.

Also, had the slasher movie been that well codified when Alien came out? I mean Halloween came out in 1978, and Alien came out in 1979. Most of the other famous slashers like Nightmare on Elm Street, and Friday 13th series were pretty much children of the early 80's.

The only influential horror movie that springs to mind that came out before either Alien or Halloween was Psycho.