Alien or Machine?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I noticed that since 2007 TF movie, the Transformers are becoming more alien-organic looking than machine. In the 80's cartoons, they were more mechanical in nature and appearance. I my self prefer machine-look. I've always been fascinated with machines and robotics.
    So, I'm wondering what style you prefer? Do you prefer more alien-organic look? Or do you like more mechanical, machine, robotic appearance?

2. MrSoundmeister

MrSoundmeister Bang,Bang Boom!

I like both really,the traditional aesthetic because it is rather nice,the Movie aesthetic,you dont know' bout me,but i think some of the movie characthers kinda remind me of Evagellion for some reason.

3. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    Metal-like Organic Alien

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Machine, unless we're talking Beast Wars or Pretenders.

5. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I prefer my robots to look like robots.

6. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Robots over chickens:lol 

7. Tigertrack

I think I should've titled it Organic or Mechanical. After all, either way their still aliens.
    I love mechanical.

8. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I like mix of Both.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Both.

They're alien looking, but so obviously machines in the movies, they make mechanical noises, look like machines, have hydraulics, bolts, shiney metal, springs, wires, joints. They look like robots. G1 TFs didn't look like machines at all. They have none of that stuff at all. They never had clearly mechanical parts and melted and morphed from mode to mode. They look like guys in cardboard box suits.

I can't understand how anyone could say the movie TFs don't look like machines, and turn right around and say G1 TFs do.

10. Tigertrack

Because we all see thing's differently, and there's nothing wrong with that. I saw more organic appearance in the movies.

11. Biotoakid

Biotoakid I've never been wrong

News Credits:
    There fleshbuckets

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Except it's not really a mattter of seeing things differently. A blue steel rod does not look like a racoon at all. Get what I mean?

What I mentioned were machine parts. You don't see springs or bolts or metal on organic things. The movie robots have an organic, natural flow to all the mechanics, but that's nothing new, and you can still look at them and right-away think not only is that clearly a robot, but also alien because of how complex and natural-looking it all is. (which is exactly what highly-sophisticated robots should look like) G1 TFs have no mechanical asthetic to them. They don't have mechanical attributes at all, and look like humans. Square humans. Machines are more than square humans, they're machines, which are what the movie TFs are.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that liking G1 designs over movie desigs is wrong or something. No, that's fine, I like G1 designs, too. I'm arguing that in no possible way could G1 designs ever look more machine-like or robotic over movie designs. That simply does not make sense. Even the most hardcore movie hater can look at the designs and see that they're at least supposed to be robots.

What?

13. Tigertrack

Oh yea I see what you mean. What I meant was the lines and curves.

14. CorporateZombie

CorporateZombie Great Odin's Raven

I prefer the machine look to the alien organic as it fits more with the theme. I still like some of the designs in the movie though.

15. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Both IMO, Autobots and Decepticons that have vehicle alt modes should look more mechanical. Others like Grimlock, Rampage, Ravage, ect should have more organic looks as they transform into animals.

Same should also go with the Maximals and Predacons. I do know on Cybertron they had vehicle modes. Crash on Earth in a future date, maybe we could have a Maximal scan a future Earth car and keep a mechanical looking robot mode.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Maximals have a great organic-mechanical look to them. But most of all, they (on the show at least) look practical. Cheetor had relatively normal and useful human proportions. He was a solid build, but wasn't a box-man. He was clearly a robot, but he looked downscaled, which worked because he was about human sized.

17. One

One Well-Known Member

I like both.

I like them to look like Alien Machines because they are a race of robots who are sentient.

EDIT- and I know that didn't make any sense what I typed.. sorry

18. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LOL! Wow man you never miss a beat to hate on G1, LOL.

The movie designs look like pieces of metal thrown together. Especially Megatron.

19. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

The better question is Machine, or Cartoon?

The movie designs may be overly detailed and "alien" in character design, but aesthetically they're closer to what actual real life robotics look like.

G1, through TFA, are all cartoon robots. Which isn't really a bad thing...Just not realisticly robotic.

I personally like realistic robotics better, but I don't hate cartoon robots either.

20. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have to agree that characters like Rodimus Prime, Kup, and Scourge actually look more human/organic than anything in the new movie verse (although skids with his buck teeth and jetfire with his beard are really pushing it).

I like both aesthetics. In terms of toys, what I LOVE about the better made movie toys is that they are hyper detailed in ways the old toys never were.

I also like how some of this design aesthetic seems to have crept into the Alternity line (at least a bit). In some ways Alternity are the best of both worlds.