Alien Anthology Bluray Set Photo

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Prowl, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    With IM2 and BTTF out on the same day, I may have to ask for this one for Christmas!

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So happy they passed on noise reduction for this. It looks absolutely fantastic. The over saturation on Aliens is a bit strange though. If the entire film is like that, I'll just create a preset on my TV for it so it isn't overkill.

3. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

News Credits:
    If I didn't already have the Quadrilogy set, I'd get this. Oh well.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  5. j3

j3 Hampton Yount is my Crow T. Robot TFW2005 Supporter

Looking amazing, definitely excited for this now

6. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    My fiance went ahead and preordered the Egg case edition, pretty rad!

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait, wait. I was just about to ask about this. I ordered my set from Amazon and I didn't see the Egg edition. Where did you preorder from??

Edit: nevermind. I found it. I think I'll stick to the regular set. I love the Xenomorph, but aside from the Egg, it doesn't contain anything else that the regular edition doesn't.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  8. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Got this in the post this morning and will be watching it over the course of the week.

From an initial skim of the discs, the screengrabs didn't lie about the quality of Alien and Aliens. Alien 3 looks better then I was expecting and Resurrection looks surprisingly grotty, althougth I don't know (or TBH, care) enougth about the latter to know whether its intentional or whether there are transfer issues.

The films and thier options (cuts, commentaries, isolated scores etc..) are on the first four discs. All the extras are piled onto the other two, with almost everything from every release ever and then some. Top tier release IMO, up there with Blade Runner as an example of how films of this profile should be handled on the format.

Theres a neat feature where ejecting the disc without stopping keeps the player on hold and will load another disc from the set without going througth the logos and disclaimers. Not sure if this is the first time its been used, but every boxset should use this in the future.

Quick word of warning thougth, make sure your firmware is up to date and it'll probably be a good idea to borrow or rent first if you are still using a pre-2.0 player. The discs use pretty much every feature the format has aside from the online stuff and Disc 6 woulden't boot at all on my player until I updated it.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Alien Blu-ray Packaging Detailed

This is literally the reason I got into BD. I mean yeah yeah, I got a PS3 because I was going to anyway, but the first movie that popped into my mind when thinking about HD was Alien (and Aliens of course). Can't wait for this evening.

10. RabidYak

The discs come in a digipack rather then a cardboard book here.

I would have prefered an Amray over either of them personally, cardboard should have no place in protective disc packaging as far as I am concerned.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know it's not a huge deal, but how's the menu system? Some BDs simply have a bar at the bottom of the screen, but some take advantage and add stylized (to the movie) animated menus that compliment the look of the movie.

12. RabidYak

They are designed in the style of a Wayland-Yutani computer system, but have the same sort of layout and functionality that you'd get on most other discs once they are ready to go.

Thats how I prefer it personally, having to sit througth loads of pointless unskipable transitions when i'm loading a disc or changing between menus annoys the shit out of me.

13. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    My roommate just handed me this set as a late birthday present. ^_________________^

I am humbled and ecstatic.

14. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I heard about the disc's skipping past the usual warnings on a review. The feature is called Disc Unbound and is a extremely cool feature cause I hate having to skip through all the warnings.

Think I'll be grabbing this set after pay-day. Does mean I'll be triple-dipping on these films though as I already have the Alien Legacy and Quadrilogy sets.
    Still, I double dipped on BTTF, so why not these :p 

15. RabidYak

Watched Alien last night and it was awesome, the film barely shows its age at all beyond the haircuts and computers.

I've brought some films 4 or 5 times if you include VHS as well, althougth that doesen't really bother me if theres a good reason to do it.

I'm putting BTTF off until next year, i've already spent way more on BD recently then I should have and seeing the original at the cinema recently is enougth to keep me going for now.

16. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've double-dipped on some films but I usually try and not to, however the Alien set is a good reason to get them again.

I already had BTTF pre-ordered before a friend sent my a link to the Alien set. I was on the fence about getting it until I saw the comparison pics but decided to wait till after pay-day.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah. Watched Alien last night. The first shot of the Nostromo hallway was the moment I knew how amazing the HD transfer looked. You could see all the moisture on the panels. It's funny. Some of these movies that are being released on BD, I have never seen them this good. I mean, I doubt that even if I had seen Alien in the theater when I was a kid, it would not have looked this good with projection and screen being what they were back then, so it was almost like watching the movie with glasses on.

I went to sell my quadrilogy on DVD and they offered me five bucks for it. I passed. I know I'll never watch it, but I have friends that don't care about HD but still love these movies. Tonight....Wierzbozki!!!!!

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Damn Straight, guys... Damn Straight....

Alien Anthology Blu-ray Review - Blu-ray Review at IGN

Just watched Aliens. I just noticed that in the BD they fixed the nasty Bishop in the hole from the DVD. When Bishop is cut in half and Newt is getting sucked into space, Bishop reaches out for her, but in the old DVD, you could see that he stretches out too far and you see the hole where the rest of the actor's body is. In the BD, they must have used a slightly different angle, because you don't notice the hole. Nice. That shot always bothered me.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  19. RabidYak

Maybe i'm just blind, but I never noticed that Vasquez had a teardrop tatoo under her eye or that the facility had the same warning logos on the walls as the Nostromo until I watched it last night.

Moving on to Alien 3 tonight. I'm going to wipe the slate clean and give it fresh start with the extended cut, its been donkeys years since i've watched it start to finish and I never made a serious effort to watch this cut before due to the audio not being complete on the DVDs. 18 years is way too long to nerdrage over dead characters and less pew pew pew.

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I noticed the tear drop for the first time also.

I forgave 3 a few years ago. I love the sets and they did a bang up job creating a dark and dingy environment, and the Xeno in that movie is pretty badass. It's different (and I still hate that something that Ripley fought so hard to protect died in such a cheap way), but after some time passed, I admired that the series moved forward, instead of recreating what Ridley and Cameron did. Alien Resurrection I have no problem with. I love that they even somewhat went the way of the comic books with having a queen in a chamber and trying to train her to command her units on cue.