Alien Anthology Bluray Set Photo

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Prowl, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    Damn thats epic now if i could just get it in a DVD version as i don't have a blu ray player or the proper tv for it.

3. j3

j3 Hampton Yount is my Crow T. Robot TFW2005 Supporter

Bout time! Can't wait to pick this up. I've constantly put off getting Alien for one reason or another, the last being that I've upgraded to HD and wanted a Blu. The last copy I have is the VHS when Aliens Special Edition was "new." Now, I will finally own them all again, and see the recent new cuts.

4. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Alien Quadrilogy has been out long enough that you can get it for a pretty good price. It might not have alll the special features, but it has more than enough to make it worth it.

I know that unless I can get this at a pretty good price, I won't be upgrading for a long time.

5. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I have the quadrilogy on DVD and the very few new special features to justify an upgrade to Blu-Ray purchase.

You can't go wrong which ever set you end up with though.

6. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    Any idea how much the egg version will cost?

7. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've already got the Quadrilogy set (and the set that came out before that one) but I won't be upgrading.

Still, it's a nice set, packed full of extras.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got the Quadriligy at Gamestop for 30 bucks used (but very well kept) a long time ago. It's my favorite set of DVDs. I'm definitely getting this. Aliens in HD is like love-making for geeks.

9. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I brought these movies twice on DVD and i'm all over this shizz. I brought a HDTV and BD player to watch stuff in HD, not to pass it over because it doesen't have more extras.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree. I'm not going to rebuy all of my movies in HD, but ever since I picked up a BD player, Aliens was one of the top three movies that I bought the player for. With Aliens in particular, it's not only going to look great, it's going to sound fucking insane.

MARINES, WE ARE LEAVING!!!

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Let’s see.
    Alien –very, very cool.
    Aliens –one of my favorite movies ever.
    Alien 3 –um…
    Alien Resurrection –Not bad considering it’s harmed by Alien 3’s continuity, but it does have Wynona Ryder and Ron Perlman.
    Seriously considering this.

12. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I like the gritty style of the first two movies, anyone think HD will hinder this in anyway or am I being a stupid twat again? :D 

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Twat thing probably. :D  . I bit the bullet and bought Flash Gordan on BD, expecting every flaw and imperfection to show up. I was surprised to see colors and details that I had never seen on TBS and DVD. Aliens was a movie made well from the start, with high production value. Blade Runner looked great on BD, and I expect these to as well, despite its age. Also, Aliens will sounds like a beast. No sound effect in movie history gets me more excited than the pulse rifles from that movie. They are almost as iconic as the lightsaber sound.

I'm with you Smasher. I loved one and two. 3 was "ok", and 4 I enjoyed because they started flirting with the comic story of the company experimenting on the xenomoprhs and getting the queen to obey by threatening to burn her kiddos. But Newt was supposed to survive, and she was supposed to be a part of that timeline, not Billie, which the book continuity had to invent to compensate for Newt.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  14. RabidYak

The only PQ worry I have with this is whether anyone involved with the Predator debacle has been near the production of this set, Aliens is a naturally grainy movie and i'm going to be hella mad if the DNR monkeys have been unleashed on that as well.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shit, I didn't think about that. So they removed the grain from Predator's HD releases? How the hell do they even do that? I really hope that is not the case.

16. RabidYak

They have software that strips it automatically from the digital transfers, along with all the fine detail in the picture because it can't tell the difference. The new Predator BD has it in spades and then some, which leaves you with the choice of either that or the older one which was sourced from a outdated master that looks pretty rougth.

Unfortunatly allot of folks that don't know shit about movies like that sort of thing and some studios actually listen to them sometimes.

17. RabidYak

As much as I hate double post necromancy, screen caps have hit the webs -

Alien -

Alien Anthology - October 26, 2010 - Page 29 - AVS Forum

No issues with this at all personally, looks great.

Aliens -

AVS Forum - View Single Post - Alien Anthology - October 26, 2010

Huge relief at the grain and detail being intact, but not big on the outbreak of Blue/Orange diesease. Cameron supervised it himself thougth and it looks gorgeous otherwise, so I can live with the latter in this case.

Alien 3 -

Alien Anthology - October 26, 2010 - Page 35 - AVS Forum

Looks like the same master as the last DVD, but solid enougth not to be a deal breaker and I wasen't expecting the red carpet treatment past the second one anyway. I'm still surprised that they ponied up for the audio work on the assembly cut.

The bad news? Its out the same day as BTTF, so prepare for wallet pain.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  18. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ohhh that does look good.
    I think that set just moved up to "buy" status for me, but it's going to have to wait till after BTTF. Also Iron Man 2 is out the same day.

19. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Looks good but in no way can I support or justify a purchase of Resurrection. :lol . I will buy the first two individually if possible.

20. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Looks like I'll need to get a Blu-ray player at some point then! They do look good, I feared they'd be cleaned up too much, but looking very promising.

I've still got the video boxset with the Facehugger gripping it, and the Quadrilogy DVD's, but can see myself picking these up as well.

Alien is one of, if not my all-time favourite film.